Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn subsidence

• 22-12-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I have an uneven section in my lawn where it dips about six inches in a two metre squared section. Can i just place topsoil and lawn seed on top of this section to level the section out ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The handiest thing is to throw a few spadefuls on every once in a while when the grass is growing. Then the grass grows through the soil and you don't need to seed it. Throwing 6 inches on in one go will kill the grass, especially at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

I would wait until the spring op, then:

- Cut around the section with a spade.
    - Cut lengths of the section into turf grass rolls with a spade, 12-16 inches wide, about 3 inches deep and roll up (for use again)
    - Fill in the hole with the amount of topsoil needed, consolidate (walk over and back on it) and level. Add more soil if needed again.
    - Replace turf the way they were taken up. Tamper down the grass with a plank to level. (lift the sod to add or remove top soil at this stage if needed)
    - Water the grass when completed.
    - Dont carry out this work if the ground is very wet or frozen!

Good luck!

Advertisement