Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cat - Bring With or Cattery?

• 22-12-2014 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice as a first timer in this regard. I adopted a cat a week ago - he is really nice but been very shy since bringing him home (as expected). Only in the last day or two has he began letting us pet him, and not running away any more which is great. He is turning into a fantastic pet.

The problem is that there will be nobody in our apartment for about six days over Christmas. A neighbour was going to call into him daily and look after food/litter etc. but he is now unable to do this. I initially planned on waiting until after Christmas to adopt him but was the shelter didn't want to keep him over the Christmas break.

My options are to either bring the cat home to my parents with me (about a two hour drive - no other animals in the home) for the week, or place him in a cattery for the time. I'm trying to figure out which would be less traumatic for him. I don't like upsetting him as he is just getting used to his environment but just want to take the best option.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

ImDave wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just looking for some advice as a first timer in this regard. I adopted a cat a week ago - he is really nice but been very shy since bringing him home (as expected). Only in the last day or two has he began letting us pet him, and not running away any more which is great. He is turning into a fantastic pet.

The problem is that there will be nobody in our apartment for about six days over Christmas. A neighbour was going to call into him daily and look after food/litter etc. but he is now unable to do this. I initially planned on waiting until after Christmas to adopt him but was the shelter didn't want to keep him over the Christmas break.

My options are to either bring the cat home to my parents with me (about a two hour drive - no other animals in the home) for the week, or place him in a cattery for the time. I'm trying to figure out which would be less traumatic for him. I don't like upsetting him as he is just getting used to his environment but just want to take the best option.

Thanks in advance.

Bring with you. No question in my mind. Carry whatever items he has become familiar with, especially any bed or blankets as he will be comforted by his scent on these items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Bring with you. No question in my mind. Carry whatever items he has become familiar with, especially any bed or blankets as he will be comforted by his scent on these items.

Many thanks - good idea. He sometimes sleeps in his transport box which is good as I'll be bringing him in that. Will bring a few other bits as well.

Not looking forward to trying to get him into the box however!

Advertisement