Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from US?

Options
  • 22-12-2014 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Ive recently opened a retail shop in giftware department. I currently use Irish and Uk suppliers. I was just wondering has anyone any experience in importing from the US as i have found a supplier with cracking products. Im thinking the tax on import would be high and thats why it isnt done more often?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Am in the same business we import from america just make sure they use a courier and don't send via us post as you'll have to fill out a SAD form which is harder than it seems as revenue only seem to have one person in each building who knows how to do it! Went to new custom house last week and the guy was off so it couldn't be done!!

The majority of what you pay on import is vat which is grand as you can claim it there is some duty but its relatively low. It tends to be postage that is the big cost.

Whereabouts in Dublin are you based? Might be able to do a little supplier sharing if you aren't too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Ive recently opened a retail shop in giftware department. I currently use Irish and Uk suppliers. I was just wondering has anyone any experience in importing from the US as i have found a supplier with cracking products. Im thinking the tax on import would be high and thats why it isnt done more often?

We also import products from the US and would second the recommendation to use a reputable courier.
    You can search This Database to find the import duty payable on the products you wish to import

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Good morning,

Depending on the quantities involved and the lead time required, you have the following options ;

courier ; FEDEX, UPS, DHL etc. In addition there is also the USPS (Post)
    Seafreight : Groupage operators that run groupage containers from the USA (Mainly New York, Chicago, Los Angeles) direct to Dublin (i.e. cargo is not unloaded from the container at transhipment point)
    Seafreight : Full container loads (probably a bit too early in your process)
    Airfreight : A myriad of airfreight agents that can handle imports from the USA.

In terms of customs duty, whilst the link provided by JMR is usefull, unless you have some experience in Customs matters, it may prove cumbersome to find the correct tariff number. You have two alternatives ;

A) Speak to an import agent and get his assistance to classify the products for you and advise on the rate(s) of duty
    B) Contact the Tariff Classification Unit in Nenagh in Revenue (best to e-mail them the details ; tarclass@revenue.ie)

Please note that the duty is calculated over the cost of the product plus the freight cost. The VAT is calculated over the cost of the product plus the freight cost plus the Duty. As a VAT registered trader, VAT paid on imports is a deductible expense in your periodic VAT return.

In addition, if you are importing from outside the EU for the 1st time, you need to register for EORI. A rather simple process, but is required in order to be able to clear goods into Ireland.

For further information please contact aephelpdesk@revenue.ie. Alternatively, you can contact the EORI section by telephone as follows:
    • If you are calling from within the Republic of Ireland - Phone 1890 204304

If you require any assistance or clarification of the above, feel free to PM me or post again.

Best of luck with your new venture

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

jimmii wrote: »
    Am in the same business we import from america just make sure they use a courier and don't send via us post as you'll have to fill out a SAD form which is harder than it seems as revenue only seem to have one person in each building who knows how to do it! Went to new custom house last week and the guy was off so it couldn't be done!!

The majority of what you pay on import is vat which is grand as you can claim it there is some duty but its relatively low. It tends to be postage that is the big cost.

Whereabouts in Dublin are you based? Might be able to do a little supplier sharing if you aren't too close!

Hello Jimmii,

you realise ofcourse that an customs broker would be able to do the entry for you. Sure, he will charge you for it, but if you take the time and effort into consideration (never mind the fact you went up for nothing .....) The agent would be able to issue the SAD electronically, from behind his desk and sort out payment of VAT / Duty for you also.

Just a thought

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Hello Jimmii,

you realise ofcourse that an customs broker would be able to do the entry for you. Sure, he will charge you for it, but if you take the time and effort into consideration (never mind the fact you went up for nothing .....) The agent would be able to issue the SAD electronically, from behind his desk and sort out payment of VAT / Duty for you also.

Just a thought

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Yeh its only imports just over the €650 though so the cost of the agent would add too much to the cost to justify it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement