Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Difference between upc horizon and hd box??

• 22-12-2014 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi guys. Upgraded recently with upc and today they sent out two new box's but unfortunately messed up with one of the box's and sent out the wrong box! We received a hd box and a non hd box where as we should of got a horizon box and a hd box! The guy on the phone was explaining also that a horizon box is better then a hd box but whats the difference??

From what i can tell Both a horizon box and a hd box allow hd viewing, recording etc

So yeah, whats the difference between the standard hd box and a horizon box? Had a look on the website but found no info on the differences.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'd read the Talk to UPC thread about Horizon OP...

You might want to send both boxes back for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'd read the Talk to UPC thread about Horizon OP...

You might want to send both boxes back for good.

??? Have had upc for years! Find them very reliable to be honest and never had a problem with them! I have probably only had to contact them twice over the last 5 or 6 years. Had a hd box all along that worked flawlessly . I just have never had the horizon box which they meant to send out today but sent the wrong one so should hopefully have it tomorrow :) Apparently the horizon box is better then the normal hd box!

However you seem to be suggesting upc are crap full stop ? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

baalad wrote: »
    ??? Have had upc for years! Find them very reliable to be honest and never had a problem with them! I have probably only had to contact them twice over the last 5 or 6 years. Had a hd box all along that worked flawlessly . I just have never had the horizon box which they meant to send out today but sent the wrong one so should hopefully have it tomorrow :) Apparently the horizon box is better then the normal hd box!

On Horizon you can record 4 shows simultaneously while watching a 5th. Also works as a (not very good) router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Id beware of those Horizon boxres they have so many technical issues. The one I had was brutal. Sound going and not recording was my main issue.

On Horizon you can record 4 shows simultaneously while watching a 5th. Also works as a (not very good) router.

But i already have a router ? Internet is working fine! Does that mean iam supposed to use the horizon box as a router and do away with the router i have??

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Id beware of those Horizon boxres they have so many technical issues. The one I had was brutal. Sound going and not recording was my main issue.

What did they say when you complained about it? Surely the service has to work properly and if it wasnt then they should have any small bugs ironed out by now? I also if iam honest wont likely be using the box for recording or anything fancy ! Iam sure the hd box would have done me but sure i wasnt going to say no when told the horizon box is even better!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hi guys. Upgraded recently with upc and today they sent out two new box's but unfortunately messed up with one of the box's and sent out the wrong box! We received a hd box and a non hd box where as we should of got a horizon box and a hd box! The guy on the phone was explaining also that a horizon box is better then a hd box but whats the difference??

From what i can tell Both a horizon box and a hd box allow hd viewing, recording etc

So yeah, whats the difference between the standard hd box and a horizon box? Had a look on the website but found no info on the differences.

To answer the question (in the broadest terms), Horizon is UPC's newer platform. It has a completely different operating system to the old boxes with some snazzy visual effects and a completely different EPG. In terms of features, it has six tuners instead of two allowing recording of multiple programmes at once, and a built in wifi router. Horizon subscribers also get HD thrown in for all packs they are subscribed to (€5 extra for non Horizon subscribers) and a feature on their EPG that replaces the non-HD version with the HD version (except for BBC Two).

as others have intimidated (without bothering to answer the OP's query) its had quite a few teething problems. It's UPC's standard box for new subscribers now though.

icdg wrote: »
    To answer the question (in the broadest terms), Horizon is UPC's newer platform. It has a completely different operating system to the old boxes with some snazzy visual effects and a completely different EPG. In terms of features, it has six tuners instead of two allowing recording of multiple programmes at once, and a built in wifi router. Horizon subscribers also get HD thrown in for all packs they are subscribed to (€5 extra for non Horizon subscribers) and a feature on their EPG that replaces the non-HD version with the HD version (except for BBC Two).

as others have intimidated (without bothering to answer the OP's query) its had quite a few teething problems. It's UPC's standard box for new subscribers now though.

Cheers, It sounds promising anyway! Spoke to my cousin who has horizon and she said "its marvelous" so finger's crossed i don't run into any problems with it cause i have a good experience with upc to date! The only thing i don't like is the router built in! I was also sent out a new modem today, does this horizon box mean i don't need that now or i don't need the router i currently have? I would rather keep the router and modem separate as they are both out of the way and work flawlessly as they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The only thing i don't like is the router built in! I was also sent out a new modem today, does this horizon box mean i don't need that now or i don't need the router i currently have? I would rather keep the router and modem separate as they are both out of the way and work flawlessly as they are

You probably have a splitter on the main TV cable at the moment, the UPC plan will be to remove that and the existing router so you will get your internet services from the Horizon box which supports Wi-Fi and has four network (Ethernet) ports at the back.

The net effect is that you will need one less power socket, otherwise you shouldn't notice any difference in service. I can pick up my Horizon Wi-Fi all around the house with no problems.

??? Have had upc for years! Find them very reliable to be honest and never had a problem with them! I have probably only had to contact them twice over the last 5 or 6 years. Had a hd box all along that worked flawlessly . I just have never had the horizon box which they meant to send out today but sent the wrong one so should hopefully have it tomorrow :)Apparently the horizon box is better then the normal hd box!

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057013165

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057022965

Yeah the Horizon box is great alright:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

IF i have any issue's with the horizon box, Will they take it back and replace it with a normal hd box? As that does more then i need and from experience so far.... works fine!!

Yeah the Horizon box is great alright:rolleyes:

Are the normal hd box's fine? I don't have much experience with it personally but the hd box seems more then fine so if im unhappy with the horizon box iam going to request they take it back and send out a hd box which is all i need! Id probably rather that in fact s i don't want my router being built in to the horizon box although as said earlier... my cuz has the horizon box and she loves it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have a Horizon box and find it just fine. No issues with it.

It does TV, internet and phone. It does exactly what it is supposed to do, for me. I like it.

Paulw wrote: »
    I have a Horizon box and find it just fine. No issues with it.

It does TV, internet and phone. It does exactly what it is supposed to do, for me. I like it.

I have been using it since early this morning and so far so good. Internet is fine. Was worried after reading so much about connection issues but everything seems fine. Only problem is that the volume can't be controlled on the remote and i have to use the tv remote. User interface is not as simplistic as on the hd box. I probably would prefer the simplicity of the old box but it's not really a problem. Also the old box only allowed me to select 720p and under hd resolution on the horizon box i can choose 1080p :-)

On a side note. I can't speak highly enough of the customer service ive received from upc over the last week. I have never heard anything good about upc's customer service but my personal experience has been great. I probably spoke to 4 different ppl from different departments and all were friendly, helpful etc Very quick to apologise and rectify they're mistake also after they sent the wrong box. Informed them about it Monday evening and had a new one the following morning. Let's just hope now i don't run into any problems ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

I have been using it since early this morning and so far so good. Internet is fine. Was worried after reading so much about connection issues but everything seems fine. Only problem is that the volume can't be controlled on the remote and i have to use the tv remote. User interface is not as simplistic as on the hd box. I probably would prefer the simplicity of the old box but it's not really a problem. Also the old box only allowed me to select 720p and under hd resolution on the horizon box i can choose 1080p :-)

On a side note. I can't speak highly enough of the customer service ive received from upc over the last week. I have never heard anything good about upc's customer service but my personal experience has been great. I probably spoke to 4 different ppl from different departments and all were friendly, helpful etc Very quick to apologise and rectify they're mistake also after they sent the wrong box. Informed them about it Monday evening and had a new one the following morning. Let's just hope now i don't run into any problems ha

There is instructions in the user manual to setup the Horizon Remote to control your TV Volume

Pair your Horizon remote control
    http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/626/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDE5MzgyNDA3L3NpZC9ERFJ5ZkZhbQ%3D%3D

TV Codes List
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/TV%20Codes%20PDF.pdf

I tried the instructions on pairing it but it doesn't seem to work. I tried about 10 times lol Thankfully it's not a major issue. I'll probably look into it again tomorrow.

My internet connection has dropped a few times also but only in the first few hours after setting everything up and it reconnects within a second or two. Hasn't happened since.

My main gripe with the service so far is actually the user interface. It definitely has potential but it's just a tad too complicated at the mo and whilst it's not slow, it could be a lil faster to navigate through the tv guide in particular.

By the way guys. The horizon box offers 1080p resolution while the hd box offers just 720p but not so sure there's a difference an ive tried both on the same 47inch tv.

If there's no difference then i might ask them to replace the horizon box with a hd box. Not having any problems really but id prefer the interface on the hd box and although the Internet is working fine. I'd rather a stand alone router because whenever the box is in standby or turned off.... I can't use the Internet and id rather not have to have the box running 24/7

By the way guys. The horizon box offers 1080p resolution while the hd box offers just 720p but not so sure there's a difference an ive tried both on the same 47inch tv.

If there's no difference then i might ask them to replace the horizon box with a hd box. Not having any problems really but id prefer the interface on the hd box and although the Internet is working fine. I'd rather a stand alone router because whenever the box is in standby or turned off.... I can't use the Internet and id rather not have to have the box running 24/7

Move quickly OP or UPC will charge you €200 for "breaking your contract"

mfceiling wrote: »
    Move quickly OP or UPC will charge you €200 for "breaking your contract"

I'll keep that in mind. But how is it breaking the contract if im happy to stick with upc but just want equipment that suits me better and works better. I wasn't actually told when i upgraded that i was receiving a Horizon box nor did i know it was an all in one box. I actually asked for a hd box and presumed that's what i was getting.

The horizon box is not as bad as people make out in my opinion. The old box is just easier to use and i prefer the interface plus id rather have a separate router. If i could disable the router on the horizon box and use my old stand alone router id be content with keeping the box. Sending it back would mean going from 1080p to 720p.

I'll keep that in mind. But how is it breaking the contract if im happy to stick with upc but just want equipment that suits me better and works better. I wasn't actually told when i upgraded that i was receiving a Horizon box nor did i know it was an all in one box. I actually asked for a hd box and presumed that's what i was getting.

The horizon box is not as bad as people make out in my opinion. The old box is just easier to use and i prefer the interface plus id rather have a separate router. If i could disable the router on the horizon box and use my old stand alone router id be content with keeping the box. Sending it back would mean going from 1080p to 720p.

UPC don't see it that way. Change the terms, break your contract.

• Advertisement
Advertisement