Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Lights trip the mains switch

Options
  • 22-12-2014 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I have a set of 5 external lights (porch light & 4 "street light" style garden lights, which run of the same switch as some internal room lights.

If I turn on the external lights the mains switch will trip - at random intervals - might take a few seconds - up to a couple of minutes. If the external lights are off there is no problem.

Therefore I assume one of three things:
    1. Too much power being drawn by the external lights
    2. Faulty wiring
    3. A combination of the above

Are my assumptions correct? Is there anything I'm missing? What can I do, to isolate what is causing the issue?

Many thanks in advance,

SH

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Hi All,
    I have a set of 5 external lights (porch light & 4 "street light" style garden lights, which run of the same switch as some internal room lights.

If I turn on the external lights the mains switch will trip - at random intervals - might take a few seconds - up to a couple of minutes. If the external lights are off there is no problem.

Therefore I assume one of three things:
    1. Too much power being drawn by the external lights
    2. Faulty wiring
    3. A combination of the above

Are my assumptions correct? Is there anything I'm missing? What can I do, to isolate what is causing the issue?

Many thanks in advance,

SH

Could be a short at one of the external lights or possible water ingress in the light housings that is causing the rcb to do its job.
    Have you used the correct outdoor cabling for the outdoor lights,as in swa for the garden lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is it the MCB or the RCB tripping? With outdoor lights it's genreally moisture that causes the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Like they said moisture ingress to a fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

ted1 wrote: »
    Is it the MCB or the RCB tripping? With outdoor lights it's genreally moisture that causes the trip

If I understand the board correctly it is a circuit breaker that is tripping - i.e. one switch which controls the "front" lights for the house. Besides visual inspection for the above ground parts is there anyway to determine which light may be faulty?
    ted1 wrote: »
    Have you used the correct outdoor cabling for the outdoor lights,as in swa for the garden lights.
    We bought the house with lights in place, so no idea really - cable is underground, that's about all I can say right now. How would I tell if the correct cabling is used?

Advertisement