Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tv wifi dongles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

In general, wi fi dongles such as the items linked too are for pc,s.

Just because your tv may have a usb port does not mean it will support a wi fi dongle, you need to check your tv manual to see exactly what is possible over its usb connections.

If wi fi is supported it is most likely a very specific type or model that you must get.
    A tv is not a general purpse pc, so any device that will work over the usb connection must have its device driver already loaded in the TV,s firmware.

Also, yes, wired is always better, wi fi can be severely restricted by the environment it happens to be in, such as thick walls or how many other devices in the area that it has to compete with.
    There are no such problems with a wired connection.

I checked out the TV manual and as I suspected it said I had to use a Sony one. A UWA - BR100 like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-UWABR100-Bringing-Wireless-Internet/dp/B0036XX4G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419284169&sr=8-1&keywords=uwa-br100+usb

100 pound. So my next question is has anyone with a Sony Bravia TV ever used anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Have you looked at devices like Chromecasts or XBMC boxes. Maybe they're not applicable for what you want to do but in my opinion they have way more functionality than a smart TV.

These devices would plug into your TV (HDMI port) and would have built in Wifi so would be accessible on your network.

timetogo wrote: »
    Have you looked at devices like Chromecasts or XBMC boxes. Maybe they're not applicable for what you want to do but in my opinion they have way more functionality than a smart TV.

These devices would plug into your TV (HDMI port) and would have built in Wifi so would be accessible on your network.

Yeah I like the look of that Chromecast thing. Basically I watch very little TV and what I do watch I watch on the various players because the times never suit me. So what I want is to be able to watch the players on my TV

I can record the Saorview channels at the minute but not the freeview

I had thought of getting a combi box that records but that is another €150 solution. Looking for a cheaper solution

Advertisement