Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVR to Router max run on cat 5

Options
  • 22-12-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi guys.

Not sure if this is posted already can't seem to find one

Anyway, I'm putting in a couple of calving cameras and the dvr will be in the yard and the router is in the house which is 300 mtrs away. So my question is, if I run the cat 5 to the router at ghe length of 300 mtrs would it be ok to view on mobile phone??

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If anything I'd use CAT 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 grayman

KoolKid wrote: »
    If anything I'd use CAT 6.

do u think the length of the run would be ok

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

On CAT 6 it should be fine.
    Is this cable to run externally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

grayman wrote: »

Maximum quoted length of 100m m8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

grayman wrote: »

Maximum quoted length of 100m m8

• Advertisement

I have had much longer runs on CAT 6 without issue. As long as you aren't depending on POE.

KoolKid wrote: »
    On CAT 6 it should be fine.
    Is this cable to run externally?
    Yep thinking of running it through hydro buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

Cat 5 not ok for that length I have a house to garage run of 70M using cat 5 and it needed a second router at the other end as the delay was noticeable. Defo cat 6

seaniefr wrote: »
    Cat 5 not ok for that length I have a house to garage run of 70M using cat 5 and it needed a second router at the other end as the delay was noticeable. Defo cat 6

Really? I've ran cat 5 up to 120mtr with no prob at all but just wasn't sure about 300 mtr.

Advertisement