Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray cat attacking my cat

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Is it really not possible to keep your OWN cat inside and feed him in the house?
    If you could do that, at least in the short-term, then you could give the stray guy some food outside, ideally at the farthest point in the garden from your door.
    Then in January get a cat trap and take him to a rescue, they might be less overcrowded by then.

In the meantime, you might get some response to your Missing Cat posters.
    Or, his not-too-conscientious previous feeders might return and he'll go back to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Aren't cats that have had the tip of the ear removed generally from Trap/Neuter/Release programs? That they are already strays who were perhaps being a nuisance rather than being owned by someone?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I found this...
    http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/how_to_eartipping

seems to be an American article but it may be done here too.
    That does indeed imply that your stray is a neuter...

in which case you can either:
    Keep him and acclimatise the two together
    Re-home (difficult)
    Get euthanased - up to you!
    OR release into the wild again: he probably won't starve - he is resourceful and resilient as he has already proved; but adding to a population of feral cats is not responsible either.

Tricky one to think out! Can you let us know what you decided??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

VonVix wrote: »
    Aren't cats that have had the tip of the ear removed generally from Trap/Neuter/Release programs? That they are already strays who were perhaps being a nuisance rather than being owned by someone?

This cat isn't feral. Feral cats are terrified of humans and wouldn't try to get in the house, they'd run as soon as they saw a human. TNR programmes release cats back to an area where there are carers to feed them and this cat isn't that kind of cat. It's either lost or abandoned and is looking for food and shelter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

That cat imo hasn't has it's ear clipped from being TNR it looks more like it was in a fight and tore it's ear. There was TNR ferrels where I used to work and it was a clean/straight cut. OP can you catch the cat and take it to a vet to be scanned - if it was my local vets they'd take the cat in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

Thanks for all the replies. Food for thought.

My own cat is basically no longer a Tom cat, he has had most of his manhood removed. He's very docile and friendly and a small chap, especially compared to this new guy,

This new guy's ear seems to be split as opposed to cleanly cut, almost definitely the result of a scrap.

Taking either cat inside is not an option, for one thing my tom hates being indoors and for another I have my young grandchild staying with me for the next few days.

I caught a glimpse of my own cat today and he seems to have a bleeding face, I can only assume the new guy has given him a seeing to.

Tried to feed my chap today and the new guy literally chased him away from it and ate the food himself. I've tried chasing him and he literally isn't one bit scared. This situation is literally breaking my heart!!

I'm living in the Wicklow/Carlow/Kildare area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Feckit OP I'm really trying to come up with a solution here, I feel sorry for your poor cat and it's hard not to resent the bully boy. Neutering the marauding tom would stop the bullying but you need a more short-term solution than that.

boomerang wrote: »
    Feckit OP I'm really trying to come up with a solution here, I feel sorry for your poor cat and it's hard not to resent the bully boy. Neutering the marauding tom would stop the bullying but you need a more short-term solution than that.

Heard another scrap between the two tonight underneath my car, my tom is obviously trying to get back to HIS doorstep and the new guy is having none of it. I literally hate this imposter for what he's doing to my cat. I know it's all about animal instinct and the fight for survival but it's so unfair.

I'm thinking of just taking the new guy to a shelter tomorrow and begging them to take him. I cannot have him here any longer. He will kill my cat if I don't do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

fartyarse wrote: »
    Heard another scrap between the two tonight underneath my car, my tom is obviously trying to get back to HIS doorstep and the new guy is having none of it. I literally hate this imposter for what he's doing to my cat. I know it's all about animal instinct and the fight for survival but it's so unfair.

I'm thinking of just taking the new guy to a shelter tomorrow and begging them to take him. I cannot have him here any longer. He will kill my cat if I don't do something.
    That stray could have FIV/FeLv. He looks fairly ill/unhealthy. By fighting those diseases could be spread to your cat via blood.

For those who asked for the outcome, my son managed to find a new owner for the cat so he went off to his new home today and my Tom is back sitting on his doorstep, chowing down some ham, proud as punch to be home.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

• Advertisement

You are NOT going to believe this but I heard my cat screeching so I looked outside the door. At first glance I thought it was the same cat back again but it's just a similar one. Another cat is trying to invade my Tom's territory and has scrapped with him.

Is there something I'm doing wrong that they seem to be attracted to my house?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Are you feeding your cat outside?

boomerang wrote: »
    Are you feeding your cat outside?

Yep and he chomps it down the minute it hits his dish in the mornings!

Advertisement