Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When Calving Starting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

i posted a pic last year of a heifer with a small bit of aa in her, she looks like a jex, she calved on 20 april last year and just had a pbm heifer calf there now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Mostly first calvers here calving a fortnight early, they were due the 1st of March 10 out of 26 calved already.

first suckler cows calved last night, 2 of them,another might calve today. That would be 20% calved in a day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

28 days into it since Monday. 66% done after 28 days, busy but happy with that. Cow and calf health very good. Just one milk fever, but fine now. Big slow down now, 1's and 2's a day. 20% grazed. Cows were out day and night, but just out by day now. Failed to get them out Sunday. Precalvers a little tight on space but will be okay in a few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

keep going wrote: »
    2nd calver down in the cubicle house this morning but she walked out when I lifted her.had a couple marks on her backfrom cubicles id say and I had noticed her a bit peaky condition wise a couple of weeks ago.watched her in the field and then it hit me ,f**king twins:mad:

pulled out the twins yesterday,two fine bull calves except they were dead after all that minding,cow is skin and bones, I wouldn't mind but she was a heifer they wanted to buy for the high ebi herd in moorpark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

pulled out the twins yesterday,two fine bull calves except they were dead after all that minding,cow is skin and bones, I wouldn't mind but she was a heifer they wanted to buy for the high ebi herd in moorpark

Sorry to hear that keep. Seems to be a good few twins appearing this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »

:pac:.....unsure if deliberate but funny double post

Am 80% sure we have twins in the cow that had the fancy ch heifer last year. Any tme I see her she's either lying or eating so it's hard to be sure. New bull too so very very difficult to guess.
    Here she is right now.

Kovu wrote: »

Am 80% sure we have twins in the cow that had the fancy ch heifer last year. Any tme I see her she's either lying or eating so it's hard to be sure. New bull too so very very difficult to guess.
    Here she is right now.
    We have a SIM here too that's huge. Only said it to the FIL the other day that it's hardly twins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Here she is right now.

My hols be eating them electrical bits.:D

• Advertisement

yes it increases the protein

whelan2 wrote: »
    yes it increases the protein

Also helps to eject the calves I hear :D

Also helps to eject the calves I hear :D
    shockingly true

Whoever put them that low was a very fine judge, they just can't reach them but no tall cows are allowed into that pen. Also the only pen with no mats or a diving gate so it's the 'bully' pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Here she is right now.

would there be any benefit in handling her?

Nettleman wrote: »

I've never done it tbh & would be nervous doing it. Would I not just feel the feet of the first calf presented (if they are lying correctly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

I've never done it tbh & would be nervous doing it. Would I not just feel the feet of the first calf presented (if they are lying correctly)

Fair width to that belly. I'd just assume it's twins, nothing you can do until she's calving anyway. What's she in calf to and when's she due?

tanko wrote: »
    Fair width to that belly. I'd just assume it's twins, nothing you can do until she's calving anyway. What's she in calf to and when's she due?

Fgg, due 2nd March. As in nine months from AI, not using the gestation calculator

If it's twins I'd say she'll calve around the 10th of March give or take a couple of days either side.

Fgg, due 2nd March. As in nine months from AI, not using the gestation calculator
    10% Calv if the stats are to be believed. im panicking over my twins at 5.5% CD. is that hay your feeding her, good idea pre calving. any precalver licks/mins?
    If you have movement, hope it goes well

• Advertisement

not sure at this stage if you handled her would you know there was twins. Will we have a poll to see what people think ? Is kovu's cow expecting twins:)

10% wouldn't scare me. Prob is that it's his first year in ai I think. So figure could go up or down. The calf she had last year got stuck at the hips and caused fair panic, I calved her in my pyjamas. That was crossmolina euro though.
    She's had a colsecure bolus and getting a shake of nuts every day. There's also twins in her family, mother and aunt had three sets between thrm.

heifer calving on slats this morning, she had done the splits, got calf out alive. Moved her out of pen with a rope and jeep. Typical oh away, he would normally be down in those sheds early enough in the morning, could have seen her sooner.

heifer calving on slats this morning, she had done the splits, got calf out alive. Moved her out of pen with a rope and jeep. Typical oh away, he would normally be down in those sheds early enough in the morning, could have seen her sooner.
    If the moocall sensor works, I hopefully will be able to have cow moved into calving pens on time, which is beside the slatted shed.

If the moocall sensor works, I hopefully will be able to have cow moved into calving pens on time, which is beside the slatted shed.
    i have 4 cows in calving shed, none of these calved....just bad luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

How many moocalls would u have fur how many cows? Is it a few hours aprox before calve that they text you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Over 2/3 calved now hopefully over the peak now looking forward to a bit of a slow down and some dry weather

Just had a deformed calf. Took vet 90 minutes to take it. Took a sample for schmallenberg. Was about 5 or 6 weeks early. Cow only dry a fortnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Just had a deformed calf. Took vet 90 minutes to take it. Took a sample for schmallenberg. Was about 5 or 6 weeks early. Cow only dry a fortnight

I find with Schmallenberg that heifers abort between 6 and 7 months.
    Cows tend to abort at 8 months or go full term with a deformed calf..

• Advertisement

How many moocalls would u have fur how many cows? Is it a few hours aprox before calve that they text you?
    Have a look at thier website, one devise can be moved from Cow to cow once recharged, but I have two were AI 'd same day:-(

Dawggone wrote: »
    I find with Schmallenberg that heifers abort between 6 and 7 months.
    Cows tend to abort at 8 months or go full term with a deformed calf..

Is the incidence of schmallenberg increasing or decreasing in your area? Is a vaccine available yet?

Is the incidence of schmallenberg increasing or decreasing in your area? Is a vaccine available yet?
    are there many cases in ireland? thought there was none

I think I read somewhere that it was expected to appear in the UK again this year. Maybe ireland was mentioned too but not sure

Thought Dawgonne is farming in France?

Thought Dawgonne is farming in France?
    ye i know but was just wondering was there any recent cases here? Had a deformed calf this morning and vet took a sample for it

• Advertisement

ye i know but was just wondering was there any recent cases here? Had a deformed calf this morning and vet took a sample for it

Haven't heard of any recent cases here. Will it be long before you get a result?

Am 80% sure we have twins in the cow that had the fancy ch heifer last year.

Oh dear. I'd forgotten how big a bull she had a couple of years ago :pac:
    He was born half reared. Hope it's not as big this time around.
    littleredu.jpgleitrim2013040400036.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Oh dear. I'd forgotten how big a bull she had a couple of years ago :pac:
    He was born half reared.Hope it's not as big this time around.
    [snip pic]

Good cow, any help needed?

Farrell wrote: »
    Good cow, any help needed?

That was two years ago, I just found those pics on my hard drive when looking for something else. Cow is just due now so hoping it's not as big as that fella. He almost killed us getting him out, stuck half-way for a couple of mins if I remember correctly.

Just snipped that pic out of your post, didn't realise it was so big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I have dairy heifers calving to aa all ai'd some whoppers of calves. The aa are getting bigger compared to a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Haven't heard of any recent cases here. Will it be long before you get a result?

Don't know was on top of my head this morning. Testing on Monday will ask then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Don't know was on top of my head this morning. Testing on Monday will ask then

There was a lot of it in this area in 2013. We're supposed to have immunity but judging by dawgs experience if we get another warm summer we could get another blast of it in younger animals this year.

At what stage of pregnancy do they pick it up?

Slowly letting up with me.
    There is a vaccine but not allowed to use it.

Slowly letting up with me.
    There is a vaccine but not allowed to use it.

Why's that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Bloody cow threw her calf bed while sitting in a cubicle this evening , vet got it back in but it was a real battle and doesn't give her great chances

Why's that

Feckin treehuggers.

Feckin treehuggers.

Ah

And what's their argument

Ah

And what's their argument

Some shyte about natural immunity.
    Costing us hard here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Had a c section last night. Calf fully formed but looked as he'd been tied up in a knot using his legs. Lifted him out and looks like a ball. Never saw the like, cow going fine. A bit of TLC will have her flying soon

Still at it hard here. Cows calving 2 wks today and passed 50%. Heifers were due to start 3 wks ago but actually started at end of Jan.

Very few heifers left to calve. All well behaved in the parlour. Finding the calves if late a little bigger than we'd like but no problems yet.

More than enough ai replacements on the ground with us running a little ahead of 50% heifer : bulls

A touch of scour hit 2 days ago. All calves were removed to individual pens with heat lamps and were hand fed milk mixed with a stomach powder, the bame of which escapes me now.

We invested in those test kits the vet has and all scoured calves have tested negative for crypto and rotavirus to date.

As they recover they go back to a group pen but a group if their own as opposed to the general population.

We have a group Dehorned, IBR vaccinated and on OAD milk. These will be going out to paddock next week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement