Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clarke Carlisle (ex player and current co-commentator)

• 22-12-2014 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2014/12/preston-footballer-clarke-carlisle-in-serious-condition-in-hospital-after-lorry-collision/

clarke-carlisle630-630x357.jpg
    A footballer from Preston is in a critical condition in hospital after being hit by a lorry.

Clarke Carlisle, who was born in the city, went on to play for Burnley, Queens Park Rangers and Leeds among other clubs.

North Yorkshire Police have confirmed a 35-year-old man was involved in a serious collision with a lorry on the A64 near Bishopthorpe, York.

It involved a male pedestrian, understood to be Carlisle, who has been airlifted to Leeds General Infirmary with serious injuries.

The incident happened around 7.30am on Monday.

edit - it seems that witnesses have described what happened as a deliberate act by Carlisle, he has a history of depression.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jeez, hope he makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

+1. Awful news. On SS News now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Some outlets reporting that unfortunately this may not have been an accident, at least not on Carlisle's part.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11681760.Serious_crash_on_A64_south_of_York___man_suffers_life_threatening_injuries___road_re_open_in_both_directions____Updated_11_05am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He has a history of attempting suicide. Hope he pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

If it was deliberate I feel extremely sorry for the lorry driver involved. Sad all round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I was thinking that Tbh when I read it. Was going to say I hope it wasn't related to past issues. :-( comes across very well on TV. Liked listening to his opinions on the game. Similar vein to Richie sadlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Has a wife and 3 young kids. Hope he pulls through for them. Sad news but depression unfortunately is something many inc me will never fully understand :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Has a wife and 3 young kids. Hope he pulls through for them. Sad news but depression unfortunately is something many inc me will never fully understand :mad:

Are you mad at depression, Clarke, or yourself for not understanding the illness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

eh i dunno wrote: »

It's awful, a lot of us will never truly understand it and I feel for his family but to cause this kind of trauma to the lorry driver I can't give him much sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Are you mad at depression, Clarke, or yourself for not understanding the illness?

The sad face was re the news in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The BBC now reporting that his injuries are not life threatening;

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30583740

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I remember seeing a documentary about depression in football Carlisle done. He spoke very well about it & about his own issues with depression. Very sad to hear it seems he is a bad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Hope the lads okay, this time if the year can be the hardest, I hope he gets the support he needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

MD1990 wrote: »
    I remember seeing a documentary about depression in football Carlisle done. He spoke very well about it & about his own issues with depression. Very sad to hear it seems he is a bad place.

Yea, I saw that too. A very honest portrayal of his issues. Even walked around where he had decided to kill himself. Really hope hew pulls through. And he was'nt the worst of pundits/commentators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Just seen this on SSN now, and reading here was the first inkling of anything other than an accident.
    That's for later, for now I hope he'll make a full recovery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Hopefully he comes through ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

My sympathies to Carlsile, his family and the driver of the truck. Depressing stuff

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

After watching the documentary on the above link I just want to go and give him a hug. Depression is such a horrid illness, and one that which still has a massive stigma around it, despite all the progress that has been made.

Thankfully, reports are suggesting either that he'll pull through or that he's "in a stable condition."

Wilberto wrote: »
    After watching the documentary on the above link I just want to go and give him a hug. Depression is such a horrid illness, and one that which still has a massive stigma around it, despite all the progress that has been made.

Thankfully, reports are suggesting either that he'll pull through or that he's "in a stable condition."

He doesn't have to release a piece in the paper saying he has depression. His close family probably know of his current situation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Gits_bone wrote: »
    He doesn't have to release a piece in the paper saying he has depression. His close family probably know of his current situation.

What? I never suggested that he did have to do anything like that. TBH, I'm unsure as to why you even quoted me so I'm assuming you either misread or misunderstood my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That is a bizarre post that came out of nowhere and I don't know why you quoted Wilberto as nothing in his post has anything to do with what you said.

What? I never suggested that he did have to do anything like that. TBH, I'm unsure as to why you even quoted me so I'm assuming you either misread or misunderstood my post.

You went on about a stigma around depression suggesting that he is afraid to tell anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You went on about a stigma around depression suggesting that he is afraid to tell anyone.

He didn't.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He didn't.

Not sure the point of adding in that comment is when discussing then. Anyways, I'll leave it at that and hope Clarke pulls through and recovers fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Anyways, I'll leave it at that

Probably wise, you're making a fool of yourself.

Probably wise, you're making a fool of yourself.

Thanks for taking the time to tell me that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not sure the point of adding in that comment is when discussing then. Anyways, I'll leave it at that and hope Clarke pulls through and recovers fully.

That comment is a general comment about the condition, which happens to be true. It makes no reference to, or infers anything about this specific case as you implied.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That comment is a general comment about the condition, which happens to be true. It makes no reference to, or infers anything about this specific case as you implied.

Ok fair enough, I misunderstood. I apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Carlsile speaks for the first time since the incident, confirms what we all thought.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/05/clarke-carlisle-lorry-attempted-suicide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I would hope one of his first ports of call was to the driver for an explanation and apology.

Carlsile speaks for the first time since the incident, confirms what we all thought.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/05/clarke-carlisle-lorry-attempted-suicide

I'm very sympathetic towards Carlisle in respect of his depression as many of my previous posts on here will attest to. I genuinely hope the man gets the help that is available and gets himself on the road to recovery. It's a horrible bastard of an affliction and I'm glad his attempt was unsuccessful.

Also, just to add, I'm thrilled for the driver of the truck that Carlisle has left hospital, and hope that it's not had the potentially bad impact it could have on him.

Holy ****, just seen a clip of him on SSN.
    The man is broke up, still cut and bruised as hell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I would hope one of his first ports of call was to the driver for an explanation and apology.

I'd say as a first port of call he has lot of other things he needs to get right first, his sister was quite apologetic and remorseful towards the driver as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Very interesting exchange between Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on Twitter. Little quite scathing of him, as he claims to know the 'full story'. They used to be friends but Carlisle was given Little's bank card to fill his car with petrol but instead drove around and had a drinking spree years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

very selfish human being is this Carlisle fella if all this is true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Corholio wrote: »
    I'd say as a first port of call he has lot of other things he needs to get right first, his sister was quite apologetic and remorseful towards the driver as well.

As was his wife on twitter. Saying Clark could have stepped in front of any vehicle and they were all so sorry it was his lorry he chose and apologised to him and his family.

And an actor using this as a stick to beat him with now is classy. He might be the biggest prick in the world, he might have changed a lot in ten years and be nothing like how he was, it doesn't matter, saying he "got away with it again" is crass beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

ricero wrote: »
    very selfish human being is this Carlisle fella if all this is true
    Jesus wept. Some of the comments about Carlisle are ignorance of the highest order. He clearly suffers from severe depression and has had a lot of battles with alcohol (no doubt related to depression) to boot. It's not selfish to be in situation where you think throwing yourself in front of a lorry to kill yourself is a the correct course of action. It's a disease called depression. It's like calling a cancer patient selfish for using lots of taxpayers money on expensive chemotherapy.
    I would hope his first port of call would be to a therapist to get the help he clearly needs. Once he gets himself right then he can apologise to all the people he's wronged over the years. It's like being an alcoholic, nobody wants an apology from you if your still ****faced 24x7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Imagine Ralf having done something worse than Two Pints. Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Here's a link to Little trying to put his comments in context.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1skfskk

• Advertisement

Here's a link to Little trying to put his comments in context.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1skfskk

Just too late, he maybe should have gone with that first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

twit longer.

apt website for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He's gone missing again, saw a retweet where his wife stated he hadn't been seen for a while.
    Hopefully he's found safe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41280150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Think sky were saying he was last seen at 6am Friday morning in Manchester city centre and six hours later he was being reported as missing.

Sounds like he was probably just on the session to be honest(although with his history I can understand the worry) , glad to see he's turned up safe and well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Think sky were saying he was last seen at 6am Friday morning in Manchester city centre and six hours later he was being reported as missing.

Sounds like he was probably just on the session to be honest(although with his history I can understand the worry) , glad to see he's turned up safe and well.

You'd have to give them the benfit of the doubt of knowing his mood in the days and weeks prior too perhaps.

Advertisement