Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New year's Eve where in Dublin for couple in their late 30's

Options
  • 23-12-2014 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Guys I am not a massive fan of New Years much prefer Christmas ( all the hype, queues, friends backing out, trying to fine somewhere etc) but myself and hubby are young and dont want to sit in watching RTE countdown :( A lot of our mutual friends are either staying in, away, have kids, or have expensive tickets to the NYE bash in town. We are looking for somewhere that is kinda 30/40's age group nice bit of music, get seats maybe a late bar I don't mind if there is two of us cos can me a nightmare trying to organise people we have a mix of single, married and ones with kids so we might just get a bite to eat and go somewhere ourselves. Apart from the NYE thing in college green is there any cool free/cheap festival/event on in Dublin or nice relaxed pub (not Temple Bar)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You could see if La Cave restaurant and winebar on South Anne Street (just off Grafton Street) have any tables left for their New Years Eve Dinner.
    http://lacavewinebar.com/new-years-eve-menu/

It's a very relaxed place, lovely french food... or you can just pop in to sample some of their wide selection of wines , think they open until 2am.

I was there for a christmas dinner last Saturday, group of 10, we'd booked for 8 o'clock but no fuss when couple of people didn't arrive until 830, don't think we left until close to 1 by the time the coffees and the post dinner wine were gotten through... We were in no rush.

If they are full...

La Ruelle is a similar French winebar just off Dawson street.

Boulevard Cafe would be a bit livelier spot.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Big fan of a dinner sitting for NYE. Get a nice restaurant open past 12 o'clock and ring in the new year there. I dont it last year and was great. Stayed from 10pm to 1am in the restaurant with a couple of drinks before hand and went home after restaurant with no bother getting a taxi. About 10 of us went and was really good. Going to same place this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Yeah a dinner is nice if there is a crowd but 3 reasons I dont do this for NYE - some friends not reliable with plans and always back outs last minute, not the same doing it for a couple, would be late now to book anything food related easier to get something at home and then head into town. We were meant to be going to a house party but guy decided not to do it cos of grumpy neighbours, few friends going away, some away in Oz. others with kids so staying home, others staying in their families it's always a bone of contention with me NYE it's never a good as Christmas but I dont want to stay on just watching the telly. If there was any festival, event on that isnt sold out, mad expensive or just a nice easy going pub not too up it's own a*** if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Last year we booked a table in The Liquor Rooms on the quays and had a great night. I think there were tickets involved, but it was well worth the cost. Definitely not a night for moving about too much, so try to book somewhere IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Stay in Bed ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

Have a look at the Mixtape event on in Vicar Street - I picked up tickets no bother yesterday, 35 quid each. Seems like a good alternative to the usual NYE crowd! I dont think its fully seated the way Vicar St can be but you could dip in and out of the bars if you needed to sit down for a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Living with with my elderly mother not sure :D
    Yeah want to find a place now hate thinking about it before Crimbo but think if you got in early somewhere would be ok I hate that moving about too and mad rush to the bar at 11.50 :rolleyes:

Advertisement