Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a room - Lucan area

Options
  • 23-12-2014 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all
    I know it's only two days away from Christmas but looking for someone who would rent out a room for a single mother with two kids as I'm facing to be homeless within the next few days as my partner decides to leave us I can't afford to live in current accommodation anymore. I am in full time employment so I can afford to pay up to €500 pm
    Looking for any accommodation in Lucan area.
    Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod Note:

Hi OP,

I'm moving this to the Accommodation & Property forum, as I think you will get more practical help there.

Regards,
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Laced I think you are going to find it extremely hard to rent a room as a family unit. I think you should speak to a CWO immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Can you speak to your landlord, and make some kind of arrangement for the rent? Is the lease in both names or a sole name?? Certainly, you should look into FIS, maybe One Parent. Get on to the CWO first thing in the morning.

Try not to worry. I'm sure everything will be just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Can you speak to your landlord, and make some kind of arrangement for the rent? Is the lease in both names or a sole name?? Certainly, you should look into FIS, maybe One Parent. Get on to the CWO first thing in the morning.

Try not to worry. I'm sure everything will be just fine.

Unfortunately most LLs wont deal with tenants on rent allowance. Its not because they "dont pay tax". Its the fact that the tenant receives the money for the rent and not the LL directly. LLs who are barely making ends meet on their mortgage, dont want to worry about not getting rent for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

hfallada wrote: »
    Unfortunately most LLs wont deal with tenants on rent allowance. Its not because they "dont pay tax". Its the fact that the tenant receives the money for the rent and not the LL directly. LLs who are barely making ends meet on their mortgage, dont want to worry about not getting rent for a few months.

Rent allowance is irrelevant in this case, because the poster is working full time.

I would expect that the CWO won't be able to offer much help for the same reason. Maybe they can check the FIS entitlements, and there might be some aspects of One Parent Family support that apply (I'm not 100% sure though, due to the poster working)

OP, something else to do is notify Revenue: you are entitled to more tax credits in you are lone-parenting, and this may or may not help depending on how much you are earning.

Presumably your rent is paid for the next week or two? Even if your partner leaves "right now" the landlord isn't going to evict you immediately if you don't pay the full rent - at very least they need to give you 14 days notice. And if you let them know what's going on and that you're working on moving out, and do pay what you can then you won't be immediately homeless.

(If something happens that you do fine yourself actually homeless, ie don't have a place to sleep that night, then you contact the council housing office - they will find you somewhere (eg a room), especially with kids involved.)

To find something - you need to work your network: as well as posting on boards, ask everyone you know who might be able to help you find a solution.

You might also contact SVP: they sometimes have networks that might help you find somewhere affordable to rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 laced

Rent allowance is irrelevant in this case, because the poster is working full time.

I would expect that the CWO won't be able to offer much help for the same reason. Maybe they can check the FIS entitlements, and there might be some aspects of One Parent Family support that apply (I'm not 100% sure though, due to the poster working)

OP, something else to do is notify Revenue: you are entitled to more tax credits in you are lone-parenting, and this may or may not help depending on how much you are earning.

Presumably your rent is paid for the next week or two? Even if your partner leaves "right now" the landlord isn't going to evict you immediately if you don't pay the full rent - at very least they need to give you 14 days notice.

Thanks for all your help guys.
    Since im working full time I'm not really entitled to any help unless I really have no place to go then some temporary accommodation can be provided.
    For the same reason I can't get the rent allowance neither I want to.
    Rent is due on the 27th of this month so I have 4days to figure out what to do.
    Thanks again for all your help and advice, will keep you posted. X

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If necessary, just pay what you can on the 27th - it will buy some more time. Don't pay nothing - that will just get the LL's back up. Be honest with them about what's going on.

Unfortunately the only housing assistance available to low income people who are working more than 30 hours / week is council housing, and in most places the waiting lists are huge. It may be worth registering with the council anyway to get on the list, but don't worry about that 'til you get your immediate problem sorted.

Things will be incredibly hard, and at this time of year you won't find much even advertised for a week or two. I'm convinced that it's important keep a positive mindset: there IS a solution to this, you just need to find it. Don't let doubts creep in (justified though they may be!) - you need to focus on positives.

Advertisement