Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Navy suit / brown shoes

• 23-12-2014 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

So I bought a navy suit. Navy isn't usually my first colour choice when it comes to a suit, but I was suitably (:pac:) impressed with this. Its just quite plain - navy three piece, white shirt, navy tie. Canali - my first from these guys, but definitely not my last, as it is quite something. Amazing quality feel to it.

My problem is, when I showed it to my girlfriend, she instantly uttered "where are your brown shoes" - I was horrified. I wouldn't ever wear brown shoes with a suit. "I wear black shoes with my suits" I replied. "But you've never worn a navy suit" she added. So basically, a disagreement ensued whereby I said black (or possibly blue suede) would go better, but she insisted upon brown. In the end I bought black and brown.

I can't quite decide whether or not I hate the brown shoes. The idea just seems a bit odd, because I've never worn brown shoes with a suit before. I'm no fashion expert, I just like nice clothes - but I'd appreciate some help here. Do the brown shoes work or no?

We have our grand opening of our new restaurant this New Year's Eve and I plan to wear my suit then, so any input would be much appreciated beforehand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Navy suit and brown shoes = perfect.

You need to listen to your girlfriend:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

It depends in how dark a navy it is. If it's very dark then black shoes would work. If it's more towards the side of blue then brown would be the way to go imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Google it, it's really works perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

defo brown shoes! wearing black with navy is like wearing white socks in sandals!!!! :P :O :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

definitely brown shoes, black shoes and navy suit is just plain wrong. If you were stuck black would do but brown are better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

Definitely brown shows with a navy suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭chrisguy116

In my opinion brown is usually nicer with a navy suit. +1 on brown/blue black/navy though.

I wear a suit 6 days a week & wearing black shoes with navy is perfectly acceptable. Anyone that thinks it "doesn't go" has a long way to go with the rest of their wardrobe i think. Just as long as you dress accordingly (black belt, lighter shirt, darker tie) it works well.. That would be my 2c

Go with whatever feels good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Black shoes only if it's a formal occasion, and perhaps if a dark navy suit.
    Otherwise brown is way better - especailly for the occasion you mention

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Depends on the shade of navy if black will go. My preference and personal choice is brown shoes, but I find black also works for a darker navy. I would also only wear black shoes with navy in a more formal situation personally. I think a nice pair of brown shoes and matching belt really livens up the suit. Sounds like you are celebrating, so I would have more fun with it. I would also ditch the plain navy tie.

You are not alone in being horrified with the thought of brown shoes and a navy suit. I had similar with a friend, but he also liked to wear boot-cut jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Agree on black shoes being ok with a true navy suit and more formal occasions.

I also think brown is best but they have to be dark brown imo. Lighter coloured brown and especially tan do not work well with a navy suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Wearing black shoes with a navy suit looks like you are in the RAF!! Definitely go with the brown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Another vote for brown/tan shoes. I've been to 4 weddings this year and every groom wore navy/blue suit with brown shoes.
    If you really can't stand the thought of wearing brown shoes you might try something like this
    http://www.jeffery-west.co.uk/jefferywest/product.asp?item=brilleaux-wing-gibson-aubergine-polish-29-323#.VJ6eNF4gKA.

My son bought these to wear with a dark navy suit and they looked fab. He got lots of compliments about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Definitely wear brown shoes with a navy suit black doesn't look great with navy suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well, I will go against the grain, I really don't like brown shoes with navy suits. Black is classic. Brown is fashionable right now, but I don't think it looks well.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

It depends if it's very dark navy you could go navy suit, white shirt, black tie black shoes otherwise I say stick to the navy and brown rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Unless the navy is really dark, brown shoes all the way. I was at a wedding at the weekend and there were plenty of men (including my father) wearing navy suits with brown shoes; it's a lovely combination.

Also, I've seen pale blue ties paired with navy suits and white shirts and they look really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'll give a +1 to the wearing of black shoes with navy, but I would also suggest burgundy shoes if you need a happy medium. I used to wear tan / brown shoes with navy a lot but I got a bit fed up with them as I thought they didn't really work all of the time - now I switch between black for my darker navy suits and burgundy for my lighter ones. In the summer I might wear a tan / brown shoe but that's about it.

What I will say though is don't ever wear a white shirt when you are wearing brown shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Susandublin

Black shoes with navy suit is up there with black shoes and tracksuit bottoms - just shouldn't be done.
    There are different shades of brown. You don't have to go with light tan looking ones, you can get nice dark brown which can look really good too.

Black shoes with navy suit is up there with black shoes and tracksuit bottoms - just shouldn't be done.

I'm afraid that isn't accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I have a wedding next week. Got a navy suit but I need brown shoes.

Should I be wearing brogues or just a plain brown shoe? I've be in town 3 times already and see nothing nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Tilikum wrote: »

Should I be wearing brogues or just a plain brown shoe? I've be in town 3 times already and see nothing nice.

It depends what you mean by brogues and plain tbh.

Oxfords generally look best with a suit imo, they may have some broguing depending on the formality of the wedding.

The vast majority of the men's shoes I see being worn are of the derby/gibson style. I find these are best left to more casual outfits. Ditto for loafers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Tilikum wrote: »

Personally I wouldnt wear brown shoes to a wedding.
    Brown shoes are quite informal, I would always go with black shoes.
    That is just my opinion though.

Yes no brown shoes to a wedding.

I guess he means the difference between wingtips and oxfords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I dont think brown shoes are any less formal. They're just more stylish, black shoes with navy I think are dated, black and navy dont go with each other in general

I dont think brown shoes are any less formal. They're just more stylish, black shoes with navy I think are dated, black and navy dont go with each other in general

As far as I can make out most designers nowadays have their models in black shoes with navy suits when in formal wear.

black shoes with navy I think are classic

Fixed your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

fits wrote: »
    As far as I can make out most designers nowadays have their models in black shoes with navy suits when in formal wear.

Could you post some pictures please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Brown shoes can be fine for a wedding. Particularly if they're tan brogues - very classy looking.

OP if you want to tie the whole look together wear a brown belt as well.

• Advertisement

The Cool wrote: »
    OP if you want to tie the whole look together wear a brown belt as well.

Its... it goes without saying really that your belt must match your shoes. Its really the number 1 rule.

On mr porter, it seems to be equally divided between black, very dark brown, and ridiculous looking yokes

http://www.mrporter.com/en-ie/mens/clothing/suits?colourFilter=Blue&dScroll=0

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Susandublin

It's up there with brown socks and black shoes, or black socks and brown shoes! Would you wear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

It's up there with brown socks and black shoes, or black socks and brown shoes! Would you wear that?

No it's not.

Navy and brown were talking about here not black and brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TwoGuysDublin

Black is convention, brown is invention I say. A navy suit with the right brown Oxford/brogues looks inestimably better than black shoes. It pops, it's more fashionable and brown and navy is a great combination. Brown shoes/brown belt as always.

OP, if you've got a three-piece navy with a navy tie there's a lot of navy. Last time I wore a navy suit with brown shoes I had a burnt orange knit tie, white spread collar with some colour in the pocket square and thought I looked the bees. That's what my mam told me anyway :)

Kudos on the Canali though! Big dawg in the house with that one.

Advertisement