Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

suits for a larger gentleman?

• 23-12-2014 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm a larger gentleman in the 25-35 age bracket. I have a 38" waist and a 17" neck and am pretty proportional everywhere else besides my legs. I played field sports and cycled to a high level as a youth so I have disproportionatly large thighs and calves.

Im exactly 175 cm tall.

What style and cut of suit do the lovely people of boards think would suit me? I'll be wearing it to a family wedding and hoping to keep it as an all purpose suit after that.
    Price is not too much of a concern once its not above €750 for the suit, shirt and tie.

So what fabric, style and cut do you think might suit me?
    Ideally I'd like to look like a chubby Harvy Spector :-P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

RainyDay wrote: »

This doesn't really help me as I am looking for advice on what type of cut would suit me, not where to buy a cheap suit.

Thanks anyway though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

not where to buy a cheap suit.
    Stay classy, bro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

You aren't that large - 17" collars should be easy to find, I'd recommend TM Lewin as they have both slim fit and regular fit shirts.

I would suggest a two button navy suit. If you bring it to a tailor they can alter it around the waist to fit perfectly and complement your shape. Just make sure it fits around the shoulders.

M&S have larger sizes so you could easily go up to 38" waist and then find a suitable jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

You aren't that large - 17" collars should be easy to find, I'd recommend TM Lewin as they have both slim fit and regular fit shirts.

I would suggest a two button navy suit. If you bring it to a tailor they can alter it around the waist to fit perfectly and complement your shape. Just make sure it fits around the shoulders.

M&S have larger sizes so you could easily go up to 38" waist and then find a suitable jacket.

I'm actually looking to get something tailored from start to finish. This info is good though.

I am sepcifically wondering what style of fabric and style of cut tends to suit men with a bit of a gut to be honest, looking to buy the "one good suit" to last me a few years, if you get me.

• Advertisement

Well then your chosen tailor will be the best person to advise you on that. He will make the suit around your shape. I would say a heavier cloth might suit better as it would sit different to a softer one - think tweed more so than linen. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 olivepeach

davidfuller.co.uk

Check out this link . My father is slightly on the heavier side and he gets his fit from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Op if your getting a custom made to measure suit I would advise you ask your tailor for this advice as he would be the best person to advise you.

Secondly I'd also advise you get a number of shirts made by your tailor as you are going to struggle to find off the rack shirts with a 17" neck.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Secondly I'd also advise you get a number of shirts made by your tailor as you are going to struggle to find off the rack shirts with a 17" neck.

Not true, I wear that size that and have no problem getting them in most if not all shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Op if your getting a custom made to measure suit I would advise you ask your tailor for this advice as he would be the best person to advise you.

Any place I shop has 17" inch neck shirts, it's not that big a collar size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think the issue is that shirts are sized by the neck and may not fit well at the arms and stomach based on the neck size.

I've had customers say they wear a 17 but with the top button open, this is because they need more room in the body than a 17 allows, this is where different fits come in, ie a tailored versus a regular cut.

A tailor will be able to narrow down what direction you should go in based on your body shape.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    A tailor will be able to narrow down what direction you should go in based on your body shape.

Or, you go for a regular fit if its a OTR shirt. TM Lewin do a regular fit and they are very generous around the chest and waist (and arms for that matter).

Just avoid slim fit if you are worried about it.

Advertisement