Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I right to insist on done up jacket?

Options
  • 23-12-2014 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

First of all, I can 100% assure you guys that I AM NOT a troll. I am back from a month of not posting due to not posting due to being called a troll on one of my threads.

Now onto my topic.

I do insist that Lily (8) does her jacket up if weather is unpleasant but more so, during winter due to fact that she feels cold during winter months. I have even asked her friends that she walks to and home from School with to do their jackets up too because they leave theirs undone.

I haven't told the parents of these children but the children DO tell their parents that I ask them to do up their jackets. Anytime I see the parents down the street, they thank me and say to me that their kids are to quick to get out of house that they forget to do up jackets.

So, am I right to ask other kids to do up their jackets?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

It's okay to suggest to kids to tie up their jackets. It would be totally unacceptable to insist they tie up their jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tanya30

smcgiff wrote: »
    It's okay to suggest to kids to tie up their jackets. It would be totally unacceptable to insist they tie up their jackets.

Thats what I meant, just worded it wrong sorry.

With Lily, as she is my own child I just say to her "its winter so its cold outside, so to stay warm/dry, do up your coat please sweetheart", she usually does it because of reason I say that it would be better tied.

With the friends its just "are you going to do up your coat as its cold?".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

They will do up their own when they start feeling the cold.

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Tanya, I think you're more than a little obsessed with jackets! And asking "am I right to insist on dome up jackets" is a strange question, especially when nobody has approached you and told you to stop telling their child to tie up their jacket, "or else".

There comes a time where we have to stop following our kids around micro managing their life, though. Otherwise they never learn independence. My eldest is now 9 and I'm starting to let him make his own mistakes in the hope that he learns from them. If I see he is in the car to school without a coat I don't tell him to get one. Yes, he might be cold in school that day... But he'll remember it the next day.

Telling/asking a child to tie up a jacket is hardly worthy of too much should I?/shouldn't I? deliberation. But maybe take a little step back from instructing your daughter so much, and see does she figure it out herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

My jacket is mostly open. Is that OK?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I really do not get your fascination with jackets and their need to be zippedup

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement