Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 night minimoon options for mid February?

Options
  • 23-12-2014 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi, I was just looking for ideas for a six night romantic break for mid February directly after our wedding. Ideally, we would like somewhere with a direct flight from Dublin (mid-haul but with maximum flight duration of 4 hours). I can sort the accommodation myself, just need suggestions for a warm, romantic, inexpensive holiday break?

These are some of the options I'm considering right now but (we'd rather not travel to Spain):
    • Malta (Valletta): 6 hours of sunlight 11 C (min average temp 16 C max average temp
    • Portugal (Faro (Algarve)): 7 hours of sunlight 11 C (min average temp 17 C max average temp
    • Turkey (Antalya): 7 hours of sunlight 10 C (min average temp 18 C max average temp
    • Madeira
    • Egypt

Also, would there be any decent mid-haul flight options available in the January sales?

We intend to have a longer honeymoon in the summer.
    Any/All ideas welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

we are going on a mini moon in February to bergamo in northern Italy. There's a direct flight, you actually fly to a Milan /bergamo airport with Ryanair. There won't be sun but the city looks beautiful and very romantic. We found a hotel in the mountains outside of the city that looks lovely. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

annoyedgal wrote: »
    we are going on a mini moon in February to bergamo in northern Italy. There's a direct flight, you actually fly to a Milan /bergamo airport with Ryanair. There won't be sun but the city looks beautiful and very romantic. We found a hotel in the mountains outside of the city that looks lovely. Can't wait!

Thanks for responding and for that option but I think the best option for us (so far) now looks like the island of Santorini in Greece. It probably won't be a direct flight as we'll have to go via Athens. However, the positives are that:
    • the tempeature will be between 10 and 15 degrees
    • It's the low season so prices for eating out and getting around will be considerably lower
    • Lufthansa fly to Athens direct from Dublin on our selected dates for €191 return (including taxes)
    • We can get a four star hotel for the 6 nights for under €290 (including taxes and fees)

Let me know what people think of this or any other potential option?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Be careful that low season is not "no season".
    You don't want to be some where with only one restaurant open and half empty every night, no matter how many degrees there are!

edit: also direct flight is not necessarily non stop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment in looking for "warm" in February with a direct flight and a maximum of four hours flying time. You might get lucky, but at best you're probably looking at a day or two in the high teens and a few dull days of rain in an off season mostly shut down resort.

I'd suggest either travelling further (Dubai maybe?) or look for super luxury in a city where there's stuff to do.

I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment in looking for "warm" in February with a direct flight and a maximum of four hours flying time. You might get lucky, but at best you're probably looking at a day or two in the high teens and a few dull days of rain in an off season mostly shut down resort.

I'd suggest either travelling further (Dubai maybe?) or look for super luxury in a city where there's stuff to do.

I think you're probably right. It's actually a lot of traveling to get to Santorini which is not something we need after a wedding. Looking for a "warm" minimoon destination with only a mid-haul flight usually points to Canaries, Morocco or Egypt which is not something that appeals.

It looks like the next best option now is to look for super luxury on a city break where there's stuff to do. It's a bit disappointing.

• Advertisement

Yep February not a great time to look for sun on a short haul. If you want super luxury in a city Budapest, Prague would have lots to do and excellent hotels. Vienna or salzburg would also be very romantic and not hard to get too. There's lots of lovely things about Europe in winter so better to embrace that and have a long haul in the sun later in the year.

Yep February not a great time to look for sun on a short haul. If you want super luxury in a city Budapest, Prague would have lots to do and excellent hotels. Vienna or salzburg would also be very romantic and not hard to get too. There's lots of lovely things about Europe in winter so better to embrace that and have a long haul in the sun later in the year.

Thanks for your feedback but we're looking for mid-haul... between 4 to 5 hours max. So to get a relatively "warm" climate in February with a direct flight and a flying time of no longer than five hours, then there definitely are options such as Portugal or Malta because options like Gran Canaria, Morrocco, Spain, Egypt or Turkey don't appeal to us for a minimoon. It's definitely possible to get super luxury in most modern cities but the destination that meets our criteria and budget, currently, is Malta. Ryanair fly directly there and it's quite cheap.
    I've been to Budapest and Prague before and Vienna or salzburg may be nice but all would be quite cold in February.

Another option might be Sicily but finding direct flights there seems to be difficult as there doesn't seem to be any direct flights from Dublin around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

Canary Islands might be the job. Direct flights and sunshine

Not sure where else you'll get sun in Europe in Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Malta is beautiful. So nice, my mam went on a yoga retreat there four years ago ( taking a break from an engineering degree ) and never came back! She now lives and works there.

My mam lives on gozo, a small island off the coast of malta, which is very quiet at this time off year but there is plenty to see and do on the mainland year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Egypt! Heard great things about dar es salaam.

• Advertisement

tbeans wrote: »
    Canary Islands might be the job. Direct flights and sunshine

Not sure where else you'll get sun in Europe in Feb

Thanks but I already mentioned that above and that's not really of any interest.

I've listed a lot of places in Europe where there's sun in previous posts above.

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Malta is beautiful. So nice, my mam went on a yoga retreat there four years ago ( taking a break from an engineering degree ) and never came back! She now lives and works there.

My mam lives on gozo, a small island off the coast of malta, which is very quiet at this time off year but there is plenty to see and do on the mainland year round.

I agree that Malta is beautiful and a great option that meets all of our criteria... direct flights (mid haul), sunshine with average temoretures of 16 degrees, relatively inexpensive so I think that's our top option now.

Thanks for the feedback and well done to your Mum. I've never heard of gozo but I'll look into it some more once everything is booked.

fits wrote: »
    Egypt! Heard great things about dar es salaam.

No thanks, it doesn't appeal as a minimoon option and from what I've read, although it's hygiene and cleanliness standards have improved, I don't want to take a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

why have you limited yourself to a max of 4 hour flight? You can get to places with guaranteed sun in 5-6 hours!

ene wrote: »
    why have you limited yourself to a max of 4 hour flight? You can get to places with guaranteed sun in 5-6 hours!

Obviously the main reason for limiting the flight duration and ensuring that it's a direct flight is to optimise the amount of holiday time available and to reduce costs i.e. we don't want to spend 6 hours flying and that doesn't include the time spent getting to and from airports. It's a minimoon so holiday time is short.

What places with guaranteed sun are you referring to that are not already mentioned in this thread, are direct flights and are not overly expensive??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Obviously the main reason for limiting the flight duration and ensuring that it's a direct flight is to optimise the amount of holiday time available and to reduce costs i.e. we don't want to spend 6 hours flying and that doesn't include the time spent getting to and from airports. It's a minimoon so holiday time is short.

What places with guaranteed sun are you referring to that are not already mentioned in this thread, are direct flights and are not overly expensive??

If everything was so obvious, then you wouldn't be on here looking for suggestions, would you?

Note that school mid-term is in the middle of February, so you may end up with a plane (and resort) full of kids.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

annoyed gal, We were in Bergamo earlier this year and had the most amazing food in La Bruschetta, which is just on the way to the old town. We just stumbled upon it, very reasonable and absolutely exquisite food- if you like lobster(!) the lobster pasta dish (sorry, I can't remember the exact name) is AMAZING and so inexpensive!

zagmund wrote: »
    If everything was so obvious, then you wouldn't be on here looking for suggestions, would you?

Note that school mid-term is in the middle of February, so you may end up with a plane (and resort) full of kids.

z

It was obvious to most posters who have already responded that this was a post looking for options on a minimoon so little or no point travelling for many hours. I specifically outlined my criteria and received lots of helpful suggestions back so far.

The school mid-term is from Monday 09th to Friday the 13th so chances of ending up on a plane full of kids is practically zero plus we're not travelling to a resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Sorry to jump in but I was considering going to Sharm El Sheikh but I couldn't find any non-stop flights. As someone suggested Egypt above, do you know of any airline that fly from Ireland direct, Dublin or Shannon (not Cork). Thanks.

Sorry to jump in but I was considering going to Sharm El Sheikh but I couldn't find any non-stop flights. As someone suggested Egypt above, do you know of any airline that fly from Ireland direct, Dublin or Shannon (not Cork). Thanks.

It may depend on when you intend on travelling but no direct flights are detailed by skyscanner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

It was obvious to most posters who have already responded that this was a post looking for options on a minimoon so little or no point travelling for many hours. I specifically outlined my criteria and received lots of helpful suggestions back so far.

The school mid-term is from Monday 09th to Friday the 13th so chances of ending up on a plane full of kids is practically zero plus we're not travelling to a resort.

It must be great to be correct almost all of the time - "Post-primary schools close for a week, from Monday 16 February 2015 to Friday 20 February 2015 inclusive, unless changes are needed to make up for time lost due to unforeseen school closures."

z

[edit] I don't mean to be unduly negative, but you're asking for a very long shot here - February is winter in Europe. Europe is cold in winter. You're only willing to travel a relatively short time to get somewhere hot. It will be hard/impossible to get somewhere that is guaranteed to be hot at that time of year and with that flying time.

Thanks tradhead, that restaurant recommendation is right up my street and ill definitely check it out! Don't know much about Bergamo so good to get a recommendation.

zagmund wrote: »
    It must be great to be correct almost all of the time - "Post-primary schools close for a week, from Monday 16 February 2015 to Friday 20 February 2015 inclusive, unless changes are needed to make up for time lost due to unforeseen school closures."

z

[edit] I don't mean to be unduly negative, but you're asking for a very long shot here - February is winter in Europe. Europe is cold in winter. You're only willing to travel a relatively short time to get somewhere hot. It will be hard/impossible to get somewhere that is guaranteed to be hot at that time of year and with that flying time.

Great to be correct almost all of the time? You should know 'cos you are correct and I was wrong, which is worrying considering I'm marrying a secondary school teacher.

You may not mean to be negative but you're in no way helpful at all. As I've already confirmed in previous posts, there are direct mid-haul flights to warm destinations in Europe at very reasonable rates - it's not impossible as I've already got the destination which is Malta. Check out the long list of options in the previous posts by myself and other posters which I've outlined which have many hours of daylight, high teen temperatures, direct mid-haul flights and aren't expensive. Many of the posters on here have contributed helpful comments so I'm good to go at this stage and hopefully this thread helps other minimooners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Honestly Ivory, I know you've settled on Malta, but it's not warm in February. 16C is the daily peak temperature, the average is 13C and it's mostly raining. If your key criteria is warmth, I don't think Malta is it. There is Carnival on there around the time you're going so you could maybe focus your holiday around that, but there's better festivals in the rest of Europe at the same time.

For warmth, further afield but still a direct flight, granted there aren't many options, but
    Orlando, Abu Dhabi & Dubai would all have temperatures in the 20s and fairly dry weather in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i was going to suggest miami, dubai, jordan, mexico (cancun)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Thanks for responding and for that option but I think the best option for us (so far) now looks like the island of Santorini in Greece. It probably won't be a direct flight as we'll have to go via Athens. However, the positives are that:
    • the tempeature will be between 10 and 15 degrees
    • It's the low season so prices for eating out and getting around will be considerably lower
    • Lufthansa fly to Athens direct from Dublin on our selected dates for €191 return (including taxes)
    • We can get a four star hotel for the 6 nights for under €290 (including taxes and fees)

Let me know what people think of this or any other potential option?

Santorini is stunning but it pretty much shuts down end of October and reopens at Easter. Just something to be aware of.

What about a city break and treat yourself to a really nice hotel. like Paris, Krakow or Prague. If you do choose Prague try this place to eat..amazing. La Finestra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

You might find that TUI ( aka Falcon ) are doing DUB-SSH-DUB on a Friday at present

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

That was the place i meant. Some friends go every year and they wouldnt be regular package holidayers. It sounds lovely. No idea on flights though as they go from scotland.

0lddog wrote: »
    You might find that TUI ( aka Falcon ) are doing DUB-SSH-DUB on a Friday at present

Thanks a mill, I'll look into that now.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    That was the place i meant. Some friends go every year and they wouldnt be regular package holidayers. It sounds lovely. No idea on flights though as they go from scotland.

Yes, I know couples that go there every year and I know a couple going in a few days time, it's 29 degrees there at the moment. The hotels are stunning and you can get all-inclusive at a lot of the 5 star resorts for around the €650-€700 mark. (Per week that is).

Advertisement