Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 night minimoon options for mid February?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

Honestly Ivory, I know you've settled on Malta, but it's not warm in February. 16C is the daily peak temperature, the average is 13C and it's mostly raining. If your key criteria is warmth, I don't think Malta is it. There is Carnival on there around the time you're going so you could maybe focus your holiday around that, but there's better festivals in the rest of Europe at the same time.

For warmth, further afield but still a direct flight, granted there aren't many options, but
    Orlando, Abu Dhabi & Dubai would all have temperatures in the 20s and fairly dry weather in February.

I kinda have settled on Malta right now but haven't booked yet. According to the resources detailed by Wikipedia, "Amongst all capitals in the continent of Europe, Valletta – the capital of Malta has the warmest winters, with average temperatures of around 16 °C (61 °F) during the day and 10 °C (50 °F) at night in the months of January and February". Malta meets all our minimoon key criteria and although your suggestion of the Carnival is a good one, it's apaprently on from the 13th of February to the 17th of February which means we won't be there for it. Festivals wouldn't be a selling point for us though so it's fine.

There are direct flights to Orlando (with Aer Lingus), Abu Dhabi (with Ethihad) and Dubai (with Ethihad) but they are many times more expensive than direct flights to Malta and take much longer than 4 hours!? None of those options fit our criteria.

To get a rough idea of the local price of goods in Malta compared to continent, this site has a helpful index which is similar to The Economist's Big Mac Index and Malta seems like a no brainer at this stage!

ene wrote: »
    i was going to suggest miami, dubai, jordan, mexico (cancun)

But why? None of those destinations meet the criteria I've outlined above.

Santorini is stunning but it pretty much shuts down end of October and reopens at Easter. Just something to be aware of.

What about a city break and treat yourself to a really nice hotel. like Paris, Krakow or Prague. If you do choose Prague try this place to eat..amazing. La Finestra

Santorini does seem to be stunning but it's a nightmare to get to as there's no direct flights for that time of year, that I could find anyway.

Yes, I know couples that go there every year and I know a couple going in a few days time, it's 29 degrees there at the moment. The hotels are stunning and you can get all-inclusive at a lot of the 5 star resorts for around the €650-€700 mark. (Per week that is).

But you've to rely on package holidays or chartered flights and do you really want all-inclusive? I'd suggest reading some reviews on the lonely planet guide to get more details on the destination, especially on food, water and hygiene and to ensure your safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

But you've to rely on package holidays or chartered flights and do you really want all-inclusive? I'd suggest reading some reviews on the lonely planet guide to get more details on the destination, especially on food, water and hygiene and to ensure your safety.

Perhaps he trusts the personal recomnendations of his friends?

Maybe the earth should tilt on its axis so you get your sunshine within a four hour flight in february.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Perhaps he trusts the personal recomnendations of his friends?

Maybe the earth should tilt on its axis so you get your sunshine within a four hour flight in february.

Maybe he does trust the personal recomnendations of his friends but then that's why he posted his question on boards i.e. to get independent non-biased recommendations of others who could possibly advise and help him. He can always check with the Foreign Office website for updates plus if he is booking through a reputable tour company, their reps in the hotel will only run excursions if it is safe to do so. Bearing that in mind, there's plenty of positive reviews on Sharm El Sheikh on Tripadvisor and other travel websites in addition to various threads on boards. Anyone travelling should just get as much information as possible and then make an informed decision.

Thanks for the valuable advice fits but there's no need for the earth to tilt on its axis so I get my sunshine within a four hour flight in February as I've already got that sorted now, thanks to the positive helpful feedback of others who have contributed to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Let us know how that guaranteed sun works out for you in February.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    Let us know how that guaranteed sun works out for you in February.

z

You can very simply just quickly check the temps online in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

You can very simply just quickly check the temps online in February.[/quote

With average temps of 13 degrees - don't forget to layer up and bring the brolly.

Pity your so set on European sun in one of the coldest months of the year. What about something a little different (and romantic) cosy up under northern lights (Finland/Iceland), funky city break (Budapest) or festival fun (Venice Carnival)

You will only get decent sun in Canary Islands, Egypt, Morocco, Carpe Verde etc for example and even some of those places will still expect rain,

Even a 5 star irish hotel for a couple of days sounds more appealing than Malta in Feb, great deals too in low season

Best of luck and enjoy what ever you book

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

http://www.holiday-weather.com/malta/averages/february/

OP, the weather in Malta won't be great in fairness. The link above is pretty conclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

A lot of thé restaurants etc in malta May also be shut that time of year it's fairly quiet Dec to feb

Advertisement