Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestlemania - Whats the realistic card? (Safety Spoiler Warning)

• 23-12-2014 10:06am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it's a continual retort offered when people voice discontent to the current WWE product; "Ah don't worry, Mania season is coming, that's when things get good". And so it has to be asked.....are people expecting it things to improve drastically over the next three months? Is "Mania Season" really deserving of the expectations this year?

Last year's season wasn't exactly ground breaking; most fans spent time contemplating how WWE could "save" it's main event of Batista (who they had to turn heel, such was the negative reaction he was getting) vs Orton. Daniel Bryan ended up having to pull double duty, having to open and close the show. Brock vs Taker had a very disappointing build and the match, despite creating one of the most memorable endings in history, was also poor for the most part (the memorable moment, it has to be noted, came from the 20 years of build up, not from the 1 month preceding the match). The Shield were stuck in a feud against 3 OAPs and basically were in a squash match. And Cena vs Bray never reached the heights that the early promos for Bray had promised.

Arguably though, WWE is in a worse position going into the Rumble this year than last....no Punk and no Bryan. No real potential for top level shock returns (unless Bryan is ready); no big stars of the past who are in a real position to sell this Mania as a must see.

It's looking like we're going to be getting a main event which most people seem to agree on being a potential train-wreck in Brock vs Reigns. The next three months will likely see the majority of shows built round Reigns, winning the Rumble and his road to the main event. This despite common consensus that Reigns is not ready for the spot yet.

You'd have to imagine Cena vs Rusev is also on the cards. I don't think that's a bad match actually; Rusev has been really well built. But I'd hazard a guess that the rating this match will get post show will be based 90% on who wins; if Cena wins, people will be complaining that it's another top level heel "buried" by SuperCena.

After that, what else is a "Mania-Level" match. Sting will likely be involved, and based on what we've seen so far, it'll likely be against HHH in some manner. People may want the nostalgia of Taker vs Sting, but realistically, is that match going to achieve anything but minimum expectations?

Speaking of Taker, for the first time in 20 years, they don't have the streak as a major draw.

Down the card, you'd hope they can hold out on Miz vs Mizdow till Mania and could be a really fun match for the crowd. I'd personally hope they consider putting Zayn vs Owens in an NXT title match on the card, and if given time, that could steal the show.

After that, you've not got much else that has had any foreshadowing. Maybe Rollins vs Orton. Ziggler, Ambrose, Bray, Ryback, big Show and Sheamus will likely be on the card. Presumably a Total Divas match, presumably The Ascension going for the tag titles (that screams "pre-show" to me though).

So yeah...what are peoples expectations for Mania, realistically? What is it that people are excited at the thoughts of? What are the possible/probable cards do people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I like your idea of having Zayn against Owens for the NXT title, but would Vince really want that that. I could it as best getting on the pre-show.

Miz versus Mizdow could be a great comedy match. I would love that.

Could we see Cody versus Goldust?. They hinted at it last year. Cody as heel. A career match?.

Here's my card if that's any use.

Pre-Show

NXT Womens Championship
    Charlotte v ?(Banks, Becky or natalya)

NXT Championship
    Sami Zayn v K. Owens

Wrestlemania

Tag Team Championship
    The Ascencion v The Uso's

Wade Barrett v A. Neville

Andre Giant Battle Royal Memorial
    Winner: Reigns

The Miz v D.Mizdow

Diva's Championship Match
    Paige v Aj Lee v N.Bella v Emma

Dean Ambrose v Antonio Cesaro

Intercontinental Championship
    Dolph Ziggler v S. Rollins ( Ziggler wins by disqualification)

United States Championship
    Alex Rusev v J.Cena ( Rusev wins with Camel Clutch)

Career Match
    C.Rhodes v Goldust

Sting & Undertaker v Triple H & C. Jericho

WWE Championship Match
    B.Lesnar v D.Bryan v R.Orton(either Bryan or Orton win)

Just a fantasy card to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

BOOK IT
    1517719_919696031374170_8201128954702202322_n.jpg?oh=6430156fded3c54d01a3e99c07a8fb36&oe=553D937B

It all depends on whether they lose confidence in Roman Reigns. Raw was pretty scary last night given how either quiet or anti-Reigns the crowd was at various times. This time last year Batista was up against this singular massively pro-Daniel Bryan sentiment. This year Reigns has to tackle Ziggler fans, Ambrose fans and people who still chant for Daniel Bryan despite him being injured while trying to get himself over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Just came across this:

Even funnier in hindsight with Punk and Del Rio standing in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I wouldn't mind seeing Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar, if that's what they're set on. But what would be amazing would be a swerve where Lesnar made Reigns tap out to the Kimura lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Would love to see some of the current NXT wrestlers at Mania but idk what the chances are of giving any of them a big spot. Afaik there was talk of them putting on an NXT show Mania weekend to pre-empt the indy shows.

Worth remembering that Rumble is in Philadelphia where there is a vocal crowd and they may dump on Reigns if he is booked to win. I would like to see Rollins placed high on the card and maybe even in the title picture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I am fine with Reigns winning everything if its booked well. I don't spend that much time thinking about how ready a guy is if he is presented well and storytelling make sense.

The elephant is the room will be the negative reactions, last year Batista should have been a heel the moment it was obvious fans were going to rebel against him. This time if they go with Reigns they need to embrace it, make him a mega heel or scrap the idea of him winning the Rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

It must be in the WWE's mind to have a Shield 3 way match for the title at some stage.

Not Wrestlemania but Summerslam maybe?

Personally I'd love for The Rock to bring Rusev down at Mania!

If Roman Reigns wins the championship from Brock Lesnar (which I keep trying to tell myself MIGHT not happen, even though all signs point towards it), I would hope that Seth Rollins becomes the first person to ever cash in Money In The Bank as WrestleMania and wins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If Roman Reigns wins the championship from Brock Lesnar (which I keep trying to tell myself MIGHT not happen, even though all signs point towards it), I would hope that Seth Rollins becomes the first person to ever cash in Money In The Bank as WrestleMania and wins.

Having Reigns lose the title moments after winning it would make him look like such a doofus....

Just like the way Daniel Bryan looked like a doofus when he lost the title moments after winning.

• Advertisement

Just like the way Daniel Bryan looked like a doofus when he lost the title moments after winning.

Yeap.

Not sure what you're getting at here man? Seems to have elicited a couple of thanks from people.

Not sure what you're getting at here man? Seems to have elicited a couple of thanks from people.

Bryan pretty much looked like an idiot continually up to Wrestlemania, had his big moment where he "beat" The Authority at Mania, and then looked like an idiot against Kane before he got hurt. Beating Cena clean, winning the title and then immediately getting screwed by a very obviously suspicious HHH made him look like an idiot. They got lucky that fans got more and more behind Bryan the worse he was booked; they got lucky that fans got behind him to spite the lousy, idiotic booking, as opposed to realising WWE just wanted another midcarder guy who sold merch but never encroached on the top spots.

As for Reigns....if they are building him up to beat Brock (the 1 who put the 1 in 21-1), the show should end with Reigns victorious, holding the title as Brock slumps away defeated, and the commentators screaming that Reigns is the new God. No screwy ending which cuts Reign's legs out from under him straight away. if they want to give him the Superman push, give him the damn Superman push.

Thank you for expanding on what "yeap" meant. I really had no idea what you were talking about in your last posts here, so it is good to have some sort of clarity now. Personally, I was just engaging in some fantasy booking when I posted earlier on in this thread, but I have seen others here also speculate on such a thing happening come WrestleMania (a cash-in). Anyway! To be honest, every year when WrestleMania comes around, the story always could have been told a little more condensed I feel. The one advantage to when the part-timers are in big matches is that they don't need as many hours filling on T.V. The story a lot of years, be it about Daniel Bryan, or John Cena or whoever, could probably be more effective on a quarter the amount of T.V shows that it plays out on between Royal Rumble and WrestleMania. But you have so many episodes of Raw and SmackDown that all of these unnecessary promos and matches happen and people are probably a bit worn out by the time WrestleMania comes. Does any of what I just wrote make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the below:

Undertaker & Sting -v- The Ascension w/ Kane or HHH in their corner

Reigns -v- Brock

Rusev -v- Bryan

Rollins -v- Orton

No idea what they would do with Ziggler, Cena and Ambrose. Wouldn't rule out the last two facing each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

With
    Daniel Bryan returning at the Rumble
    , could it be possible for there to be a Triple Threat again in the Main?

I've no doubt Stink will be at Mania, and likely inducted to the HOF the night before. And will be against HHH.

Can't see Taker being at this year's Mania in a wrestling capacity. I reckon he might interfer, costing Brock the title, and dragging him off to Out of Contract Hell, never to be seen in the WWE again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Is Brock contracted up to Mania?. It would be great if he lost it at the Rumble as it would be a surprise and then fcuked off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

as of right now

Daniel Bryan vs Brock Lesnar (WWE Title)
    winner: D Bryan - Rumble winner and ultimate underdog versus the indestructible beast champion

HHH vs Sting
    Winner: Sting - if he is only having one WWE match I doubt he is losing

Reigns vs Rusev (US Title)
    Winner - Reigns - They wanna push him but he ain't ready for the main event so a US title win at mania ala Cena first and going over the unpinned Russian seems a WWE thing to do

Wyatt vs The Undertaker
    Winner: Taker - Just being in with Taker at Mania is enough of a rub for Bray while Taker will go out on top here

Seth Rollins va Orton
    Winner: Rollins - He has been the top heel in WWE this past yeah and has history with Orton who is now face and will probably have a serious of matches with Rollins.

Ambrose vs Cena
    Winner - tbh im not sure about this match but its the most hig profile match left though perhaps Cena would go against Rusev instead and we could have the two shield boys go at it over a Rumble elimination or something similar, hell maybe add in Ziggler for a triple threat IC title match.

Tag titles match: The Ascencion v The Uso's

Divas title match: Nikki Bella vs AJ vs Paige vs Natalya

Andre memorial Battle Royal inc Ziggler, Sheamus, Cesaro, BNB, Big Show, Kane and everyone else not involved elsewhere
    Winner: Ziggler if he is not involved elsewhere or Cesaro to whitewash the past year and begin again

Pre Show: The Miz vs Damian Mizdow

NXT Special in the days preceding it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

^ Best one I've seen by far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I really want Rollins to insert himself into the main event with his MITB brief case.

It won't happen but would love him to put over the the chance to be in and win the Wrestlemania main event as worth the risk of not cashing in at the most opportune time.

Assuming Lesner is leaving, Bryan v Lesner would be a little bit predictable, throw Rollins in and suddenly two possible winners are in the match. It could also protect Bryan who will just be back from injury.

I like the idea of Heyman turning on Brock as he is leaving, but managing to screw Bryan over at the same time leading to Rollins v Bryan post Mania.

Like Bryan last year, with his run since July, the guy deserving to end the Wrestling Year winning at Mania is Rollins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement