Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cervelo s2 or s3

• 23-12-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭

Really like both bikes but is the s3 worth the extra cash?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

id say its minimal especially the level us mere mortals are at... with a 1200 euro difference you might get more benefit from a powermeter, a coach and/or a good set of racing wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

The only real difference is 105 on the s2 and ultegra on the s3 and forks are different on the s3

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Is it worth the extra cash? Like anything you can go for the basic which gives you what you need. Anything beyond that you are pretty much paying a premium for. Yes the bike might look better (although not in all cases, and as always beauty is in the eye of the beholder which is particularly the case with bikes!). Yes a more expensive bike may have a better drivetrain and wheels that give it a bit more of a "whoosh", but you are also into the law of diminishing returns if your measure is "value for money" (and to be clear, as most people around here are already aware of, that is not a measure I personally pay a great deal of attention to, not at this stage in my life anyway....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Whatever about frames, I think it's fair to say that ultegra is a significant upgrade over 105. Although 105 is very very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

If I had the cash. I would get the S3, hopefully in the next year it'll happen, or perhaps a Venge, I find it hard to choose between those two,

• Advertisement

thelawman wrote: »
    If I had the cash. I would get the S3, hopefully in the next year it'll happen, or perhaps a Venge, I find it hard to choose between those two,

Yea venge is a super bike also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Just watching Tour of Britain highlights earlier. Garmin Sharp team all riding S3's. Always nice to have pro tour kudos. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BH2008

My understanding was that originally the S3 was developed from the soloist where an R series rear triangle was added. This allowed for a more comfortable ride when compared to the harsher aero frames, the original S3 got awesome reviews apart from an issue with the narrow width between chain stays which prevented some wider rims being used ( I think zipps were a problem). Is it worth the money over an S2? Nobody can decide that except the person buying, but to my knowledge it is a very different frame to the S2. If it was my decision S3 all the way!

.evanscycles.com/products/mavic/cosmic-elite-wts-wheelset-ec054088 are these wheels considered good ? i think they are what is on the S3, at 2380g including tyres are they too heavy

thelawman wrote: »
    .evanscycles.com/products/mavic/cosmic-elite-wts-wheelset-ec054088 are these wheels considered good ? i think they are what is on the S3, at 2380g including tyres are they too heavy

There a good set of training wheels tbo I wouldn't race on them myself but a good set of wheels all the same but they are the only let down on the bike

• Advertisement

Just an update went with the s3 in the end picked up today thanks to the guys in base 2 race great help

Just an update went with the s3 in the end picked up today thanks to the guys in base 2 race great help

congrats, may you enjoy and suffer many km's on it, ;)

Advertisement