Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are my grassess dead - how to maintain?

• 23-12-2014 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I had my lawn planted only during summer and already half of my plants are dead - in particular the grasses died as soon as cold weather kicked in. Do I pull these from the roots or cut them off - will the come back or are they totally gone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is not very clear, that doesn't look like lawn grass, and the way it is planted doesn't look like a lawn? However, if the grass was planted in clumps for whatever reason, and it was not watered - the summer was very dry at times - then it could well be dead. You would need to examine it a bit more closely, I would be inclined to just cut off the lengths of dead grass at the top and leave the roots for the moment.

I really don't understand the set up though, could we have a pic of the entire area?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect it's a specimen grass; if it was dead due to lack of water, i'd say it'd be a hell of a lot more decayed than that.

you do get deciduous grasses which die back above ground for the winter:
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=434

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tricky99

thanks for feedback. these are ornamental grasses in a flower bed - not a lawn. They were clumps of thick long grasses. Ive attached photos of what they looked like and I dont want to pull them up from roots incase they are to be cut instead/

hm unable to attached those photos

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

looksee wrote: »
    This is not very clear, that doesn't look like lawn grass, and the way it is planted doesn't look like a lawn? However, if the grass was planted in clumps for whatever reason, and it was not watered - the summer was very dry at times - then it could well be dead. You would need to examine it a bit more closely, I would be inclined to just cut off the lengths of dead grass at the top and leave the roots for the moment.

I really don't understand the set up though, could we have a pic of the entire area?

That picture in the opening post is of an ornamental grass and a flowerbed.Nothing to do with a grass lawn.That grass is most likely a deciduous ornamental grass that has died back for the winter.It will send up new shoots come spring time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Japanese forest grass dies back in winter, if that's what you have. It'll pop back up in spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That picture in the opening post is of an ornamental grass and a flowerbed.Nothing to do with a grass lawn.That grass is most likely a deciduous ornamental grass that has died back for the winter.It will send up new shoots come spring time.

Yes, that does make a lot of sense, and is self evident if you are a gardener, but not what the OP said, and I was not clear whether he thought he had a lawn there somehow.

looksee wrote: »
    Yes, that does make a lot of sense, and is self evident if you are a gardener, but not what the OP said, and I was not clear whether he thought he had a lawn there somehow.

Ah come on now,you are a lover of gardening arent you?Because alot of your posts are quite informative here on this gardening forum.So you should know from the word go by combining the post and the picture.
    The op does state in the opening post that half of his plants are dead then says that his "grasses" had died back.Even to a person with modest gardening interest you can see from the post and picture that its is not of a lawn grass but that of an actual grass plant that the OP is talking about.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family and happy gardening to you all.

think this worked

here it is - alive

• Advertisement

tricky99 wrote: »
    here it is - alive

The small tree like ferns in the backround are just that,tree ferns.These die back when winter sets in and they send up new spores and ferns in spring time when the weather gets a bit warmer.Its advisable to place some white fleece protection over them to protect from harsh frosts,snow and ice.
    I didnt bother doing that with mine in 2010 and 2011 and they survived those heavy snowfalls and freezing temps.But my neighbours house down the road had her tree ferns die from the snow and ice.So its down to pot luck in some cases.
    The other plants in the pictures are lavender.These will bulk up over time and will get to a woody stage so thinning them out every now and again is no harm.The bees will go mad for the lavender in summertime.The other green plants in the front of your border are your grasses but its hard to know exactly what grasses they are.They look like ornamental grasses allright but we would need to see a better more close up picture of it to guess better.
    Did your landscaper or horticulturalist leave you a plant plan and list of plants that he or she planted for you.Any good reputable landscaper or horticulturalist would leave a list of plants for the customer and also would check back with the customer in about 4-6 months after planting to make sure that all plants had taken.If some died then the landscaper or horticulturalist would replace them for free with some new plants.
    If I were in your shoes then I would ring the landscaper or horticulturalist and ask them to come back and have a look around and advise you in person on whats what in your garden.If you dont have a list of the plants planted,then request one from the person or company in question.Then you will know what is what in the garden.
    You yourself also have a moral responsibility to look after and maintain your garden and the various plants,as if you dont treat them and maintain them then they will look past their best and so too will your garden.Dont let weeds establish,so put down a good mulch and or bark chip.
    Also remember that the more flowers,plants and groundcover that you have in a garden then the less chance and space there is for weeds to take over.
    Happy gardening.

Advertisement