Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York & Las Vegas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Now that the Internet has made it so easy to make reservations I tend to avoid travel agents or travel companies that offer packages, but honestly I dont know whether its cheaper to do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

It's actually quite a good deal (flights alone in May would cost in the region of E600) personally I would never use a travel agent here(I find their lack of knowledge abysmal) but American Holidays have a good reputation.

The link does not say who the airlines involved are , and that would be a major factor for me - it also doesn't give timings or routes, neither are transfers included. There are no direct flights from LAS to DUB so it's possible you may have a transfer in the UK or somewhere else.

Not a bad deal though

For a first timer to the US it might be easier to book through an agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

We're doing this in February and booked multi city flights with british airways using ebookers and booked the hotels separately

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 44 glassdaisies

You could definitely do it on your own pretty easily. Vegas has a ridiculous ton of hotel deals because there are so many, the market is saturated. I've not heard great things about the Luxor, but to each his own. Also keep in mind how far apart New York and Las Vegas are, it's a good 4 hour flight plus all of the time you would need to get to the airport ahead of time. Flying between the two, there are a ton of cheap domestic airlines like Southwest and JetBlue. It's nice to have everything planned out for you, but then you also lose a lot of freedom in terms of your time and things like that.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I'm originally from New York state and we went into the city frequently, and I've been to Vegas a bunch of times. In Vegas, our favorite place to stay is the New York, New York, ironically enough. You can get a huge room for under $80 US per night.

• Advertisement

Also remember to budget in a few days to do the Grand Canyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Fantastic reply's thanks. I never thought of (transfers)distance from the airports to the hotels,The distance from NY to Vegas did not realize it was a 4 hour flight.
    I suppose it would be a nice project to look into everything flights,transfers. hotels distance etc if we looked into it together maybe half the fun is in the planning. I would defo look into the Grand canyon

I mean, NY to Vegas is definitely doable, but you may want to look at grouping locations that are closer together? Like Vegas and LA, or Vegas and San Francisco, New York and Niagara Falls or Toronto, Canada, etc. If you are absolutely set on Vegas and NY, make sure you budget an entire day for travel from one to another, and the fact that Vegas is on West Coast time and NY is on East Coast time, a 3 hour difference.

You can rent a car in Las Vegas and drive to Los Angeles in a day. Spend the night, see Hollywood and the Pacific ocean and drive back the next day.

Just a thought. :) (Driving in america, especially the west, is very easy.)

InTheTrees wrote: »
    You can rent a car in Las Vegas and drive to Los Angeles in a day. Spend the night, see Hollywood and the Pacific ocean and drive back the next day.

Just a thought. :) (Driving in america, especially the west, is very easy.)

Very true! You could also drive to visit the Grand Canyon as well. Personally, I don't think it's worth more than a day trip. It's lovely, and you should definitely see it, but it's also a big hole. Driving in LA can be mildly terrifying, but if you stay away from rush hour, you're golden. Huntington Beach just south of LA was my favorite, and you could also do a day at Disneyland if you wanted to :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Very true! You could also drive to visit the Grand Canyon as well. Personally, I don't think it's worth more than a day trip. It's lovely, and you should definitely see it, but it's also a big hole. Driving in LA can be mildly terrifying, but if you stay away from rush hour, you're golden. Huntington Beach just south of LA was my favorite, and you could also do a day at Disneyland if you wanted to :)
    Driving to the Canyon is a waste of time.
    Helicopter is the only way to go.
    Out and back in 4 hours including the Hoover Dam for about $500.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Stojkovic wrote: »

This is bang on, helicopter is the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I wouldn't count flying over the Hoover Dam in a helicopter as seeing it. It needs to be seen up close and in person. Therefore, in addition to taking a helicopter to the Canyon, I would recommend renting a car on separate day and driving out to the Dam (which isn't far from Las Vegas).

My other half has relatives in Las Vegas and we (from Seattle) and other family from the east meet up there every year.

Next year we've vowed to stay outside las vegas in some remote desert town. Area 51 is hidden away in the desert due north of vegas and we thought it may be fun to head up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jebus, over exaggerate much? :P

The helicopter tour is just one way of seeing the Canyon. It is certainly not the only way. It suits some people who are pressed for time, or who want to get it over and done with quickly, or who have very deep pockets. It won't suit everyone.

Seeing the Grand Canyon from the air is certainly thrilling. But if you are coming from damp, dreary Ireland, there is also something very cool about hiring a car & heading out into the desert for the day. Being able to do things at your own pace & seeing the canyon and/or the Hoover Dam close up are additional benefits. Driving to the Canyon is certainly not a waste of time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

InTheTrees wrote: »
    My other half has relatives in Las Vegas and we (from Seattle) and other family from the east meet up there every year.

Next year we've vowed to stay outside las vegas in some remote desert town. Area 51 is hidden away in the desert due north of vegas and we thought it may be fun to head up that way.

http://www.amargosa-opera-house.com/index.htm

I spent one night there last yearr on a road trip.
    Kitsch as hell but was good fun.

Advertisement