Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violence in Games on Pat Kenny show in a minute

Options
  • 23-12-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭

Or so he just said!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Here's the quick answer to violence in videogames: Be better parents and stop blaming your **** parenting skills on scapegoats.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,799 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Here's the quick answer to violence in videogames: Be better parents and stop blaming your **** parenting skills on scapegoats.

Leave Goat Simulator alone! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Parents educate yourselves, be aware what you're letting your children play and there will be no issue whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Seemed to be a very reasonable piece.

Games aren't bad, it's other crap that causes the problems, was about the gist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, wasn't a bad news item in fairness. Common sense for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

He did an incredibly positive piece yesterday chatting to Eimear Noone the composer about an event she wants to hold in Dublin in April, didn't take him long to return to form then, "won't someone think of the children" etc.
    Seems like it wasn't that bad then, could we have finally turned a corner?

In a weird round about way, articles about games inspiring violence usually inspire me to want to play games.

Plus I have fond memories of GTA at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

you know what irritates me on the subject of violent videogames is the scapegoating non sense that has gone on for years and still to this very day it still continuing.

Elvis was known as music your kid should never listen to or the Beatles was the mark of the devil , how Marilyn Manson somehow had more of a influence on two kids in america than years of " great parenting " from there parents.
    somehow batman the dark knight was sole target to blame for the cinema shootings and no direct blame should ever be taken to the individual or individuals.

I remember 4fm were talking about a 4 year old shot there relative with a shotgun and to blame was grand theft auto 5 cause shocking there was a console and the game in the living room and that somehow connected all the pieces to together. So instead of asking the real question as any person with any common sense or IQ would ask what was a 4 year old doing with a fire arm the topic was brought up videogames are to blame because how would a child know how to use a gun and know how to point and click one trigger on the rifle ?????? :confused:

We all know its bull**** but somehow you are suppose to brainwash the public to look far away in the distance to the problem and put blame to someone else. are we to blame religion for john lennon death or the individual who shot him ?

somehow call of duty should make more headlines for being so violent yet its the most cartoonish look of war compared to real world war that its bred into our way of living since the dawn of time.

parents are okay given there sons toy guns from 2 euro shops to play cops and robbers and mimicking shooting people yet play a game that has a rating system OMGAWDVIDEOGAMEVIOLENCE!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All anyone needs do when this topic comes up is mention the Byron report, which is the biggest scientific study into the effects of violent videogames on people and funded by the UK government. It found absolutely no links to violence and beahvioural or psychological problems. Cold hard science right there.

All anyone needs do when this topic comes up is mention the Byron report, which is the biggest scientific study into the effects of violent videogames on people and funded by the UK government. It found absolutely no links to violence and beahvioural or psychological problems. Cold hard science right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Games don't make you violent but they are intense stimulants and are addictive, so can cause problems for kids that have addictive tendencies or are prone to violent outbursts. Mix a very unhealthy lifestyle and diet where kids overdose regularly on sugar, caffeine and chemicals, with a lack of exercise to burn off the energy and you have a time bomb.

Give any kid a huge amounts of stimulants like, sugar and caffeine and then show them content that is designed to be hugely visually, mentally and emotionally stimulating over extended periods of time and it will have an impact.

I just caught the end of the piece on the radio but what i got from it was pretty normal, some games are more violent than others and parents really should monitor the games their kids play & not give into peer pressure. Set time limits on the console before it becomes a problem. He also spoke about the benefits of gaming too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Games don't make you violent but they are intense stimulants and are addictive, so can cause problems for kids that have addictive tendencies or are prone to violent outbursts. Mix a very unhealthy lifestyle and diet where kids overdose regularly on sugar, caffeine and chemicals, with a lack of exercise to burn off the energy and you have a time bomb.

Give any kid a huge amounts of stimulants like, sugar and caffeine and then show them content that is designed to be hugely visually, mentally and emotionally stimulating over extended periods of time and it will have an impact.

I just caught the end of the piece on the radio but what i got from it was pretty normal, some games are more violent than others and parents really should monitor the games their kids play & not give into peer pressure. Set time limits on the console before it becomes a problem. He also spoke about the benefits of gaming too.
    Read every study ever done into video game violence. They don't just cherry-pick the nicest, normalest kids for the research. They get a wide and representative mix of people, from kids who are perfectly fine to those who have things like ADHD and other issues. Video Games violence and real life violence have never been linked directly. End of story.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Read every study ever done into video game violence. They don't just cherry-pick the nicest, normalest kids for the research. They get a wide and representative mix of people, from kids who are perfectly fine to those who have things like ADHD and other issues. Video Games violence and real life violence have never been linked directly. End of story.

I don't have time to read every study ever, I will just use known scientific facts on how stimulants impact the brain on a chemical level.

If you think playing games has zero impact on you or anyone else then you are wrong. Show me a single gamer who hasn't smashed a controller, or rage quit a game and i'll show you a Sociopath.

Have you ever found yourself shouting at the ref in FIFA? That's not a normal thing to do is it? To shout at an group of pixels on a screen that can't hear you or respond to you.

I was playing GTA last night and the PS4 got a black screen for about 3 seconds and I got killed half way through a mission. You would have thought someone came in pulled down their pants and made a big mess on my sitting room floor I was so disgusted with it. That is not normal, but that is the very real impact games have on a person.

Games are a cerebral stimulant and trigger an emotional response just like every other form of artwork (perhaps even more so). They can make you feel happy, sad, angry, upset, afraid, frustrated.

Does this translate into turning a normal person into a violent person? No, but can it turn a normal kid into a temporarily frustrated one? Yes it can.

If this is repeated over long periods of time then it will have an impact, stress is one of the worst things for your physical and mental health. Being under stress as a kid for long periods of time will have a impact and can lead to all sorts of problems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Do people genuinely smash controllers out of frustration? I hoped that was always light-hearted hyperbole. I can confidently state I have never been so angered by a game that I even remotely felt the need to throw an expensive controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do people genuinely smash controllers out of frustration? I hoped that was always light-hearted hyperbole. I can confidently state I have never been so angered by a game that I even remotely felt the need to throw an expensive controller.

Back in the days of Atari and C64s, we cost our parents a small fortune in replacing controllers, not much in the way of save points back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's up on the site now.

23rd December 2014 - The Pat Kenny Show Part_2

Starts off at ~11:50 minutes.

I have played and beaten games like sonic 06 that pitt falls , glitches and everything you can imagine and I have never smashed , broken or rage quit a a game ever in my life.

even in dark souls 2 I died over 600 times and still no anger or frustration and laughed and had a great time with.

I don't have time to read every study ever, I will just use known scientific facts on how stimulants impact the brain on a chemical level.

If you think playing games has zero impact on you or anyone else then you are wrong. Show me a single gamer who hasn't smashed a controller, or rage quit a game and i'll show you a Sociopath.

Have you ever found yourself shouting at the ref in FIFA? That's not a normal thing to do is it? To shout at an group of pixels on a screen that can't hear you or respond to you.

I was playing GTA last night and the PS4 got a black screen for about 3 seconds and I got killed half way through a mission. You would have thought someone came in pulled down their pants and made a big mess on my sitting room floor I was so disgusted with it. That is not normal, but that is the very real impact games have on a person.

Games are a cerebral stimulant and trigger an emotional response just like every other form of artwork (perhaps even more so). They can make you feel happy, sad, angry, upset, afraid, frustrated.

Does this translate into turning a normal person into a violent person? No, but can it turn a normal kid into a temporarily frustrated one? Yes it can.

If this is repeated over long periods of time then it will have an impact, stress is one of the worst things for your physical and mental health. Being under stress as a kid for long periods of time will have a impact and can lead to all sorts of problems.

Everything you mention there isn't a result of the game making you do these things but you as a person. The games aren't turning you into a controller flinging, pixel verbal abuser that's who you are as a person. I definitely wouldn't consider those responses normal or the norm either.

Basically you poke the bee's nest the bee's will respond as they always will, the poking doesn't just suddenly turn them violent.

Also you say you are basing these assertions on scientific facts when scientific fact says totally otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I don't even think you have the slighest clue about what people are going through. Also, I just want to point out that in essence called yourself a Sociopath. Going to let that one sink in for a while.

Firstly, a person who smashes their control in rage is not a sociopath. Do they have anger issues? Most likely but having anger issues is not the only symptom of a sociopath. To even compare the two is beyond belief. Angry gamers smash controllers, some angry people are sociopaths so logically not all gamers who smash their controllers are sociopaths. Just an absolutely awful thing to say.

As for shouting at the screen you could make that point to anyone who watches sport. What good will shouting at a TV screen get you with anything? Nowhere, it's just venting frustration a little bit. We all do it, it's part of the society we live in. It's better to shout at the screen then to keep all that frustration bottled up.

As for repeated stress on kids, I don't think that's it at all. In fact, gaming has been shown to be very good at teaching kids how to deal with failure as well as increasing their hand-eye co-ordination. It's a trial and error thing and kids have to learn from their mistakes. It's very good for them. I've never heard of anyone having mental trauma after playing a video game. I think all your points (apart from gaming being a stimulant, that I can't disagree with) are not only all taken to extremes but you are also thinking far too much about it. When you put your controller down and leave the screen, you don't still feel stressed (unlike with real life problems which are harder to walk away from).

• Advertisement

I've done it one single time.

Christmas eve, about 6 years ago. Vice City, that stupid f***in bank level when the f***in eejits won't get in the bleedin car.

Grrrrrrr!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Show me a single gamer who hasn't smashed a controller, or rage quit a game and i'll show you a Sociopath.

There must be plenty of sociopaths going around.

People also scream at the referee when watching the Premier League or a GAA match on tv. Should these be considered causes of violence in society? Of course not. To portion the same thing on video games is ridiculous.

Everything you mention there isn't a result of the game making you do these things but you as a person. The games aren't turning you into a controller flinging, pixel verbal abuser that's who you are as a person. I definitely wouldn't consider those responses normal or the norm either.

Basically you poke the bee's nest the bee's will respond as they always will, the poking doesn't just suddenly turn them violent.

Also you say you are baing these assertions on scientific facts when scientific fact says totally otherwise.

I think it is pretty much non disputable at this stage that stimulants have an impact on chemicals in the brain? Which in turn have an impact on behavior. Otherwise cocaine wouldn't be so popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Show me a single gamer who hasn't smashed a controller, or rage quit a game and i'll show you a Sociopath.

Huh? :confused: Those two things are miles apart. I've never smashed a controller but I've quit a game out of frustration, the latter seems like a perfectly normal thing to do

I think it is pretty much non disputable at this stage that stimulants have an impact on chemicals in the brain? Which in turn have an impact on behavior. Otherwise cocaine wouldn't be so popular.

Videogames aren't chemical stimulants. Totally different things and not comparable. Videogames would be classed as environmental, at the very most they could be trigger inducers but again all scientific publications have shown very little evidence of this.

lertsnim wrote: »
    There must be plenty of sociopaths going around.

People also scream at the referee when watching the Premier League or a GAA match on tv. Should these be considered causes of violence in society? Of course not. To portion the same thing on video games is ridiculous.

Qualities of a Sociopath - Lack of real emotion in response to events.

I'm saying that if you never get an emotional response from playing games good or bad then there is something wrong.

Do you think it would be normal to sit for hours and hours playing a game if it gave you no enjoyment, if it was just blankly pressing buttons without any reward.

Games trigger emotions, if they trigger emotions in you that is normal.

Have you ever played a really intense difficult mission where you had to be really locked into it and afterwards found your jaw was sore from clenching it, or your hands sweaty.

For most this is an occasional thing and they will get up and shake it off after a few minutes. But if you are putting a kid under that kind of stress that yields those results for hours and hour a day. Then don't tell me that has zero impact.

Links234 wrote: »
    Huh? :confused: Those two things are miles apart. I've never smashed a controller but I've quit a game out of frustration, the latter seems like a perfectly normal thing to do

It is normal, you are normal. Something in you was triggered that made you have an emotional reaction to stand up, turn off the console and walk away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I broke two xbox controllers in the space of 2 weeks playing FIFA 10. You're angry, you have it in your hand, wall.

That game was an utter joke thanks to online balancing. You could have 23 shots on target against a weaker opponent who will get one shot on goal and win 1-0.

I don't play the game online anymore.

Videogames aren't chemical stimulants. Totally different things and not comparable. Videogames would be classed as environmental, at the very most they could be trigger inducers but again all scientific publications have shown very little evidence of this.

Again just so there is no misunderstanding I am not talking about any link between games and real world violence, there is no link.

I am talking about the impact of being under stress for extended periods of time. Which has been proven time and time again to have a negative impact on both mental and physical health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I must be a sociopath so. And so much most of my mates who play games. My father too. And my brother. And my wife. Because I can safely say I've only ever known one person who has smashed a controller, and none who would quit a game because they're losing (at least that I'm aware of, I've got no idea how they play against other people)

Advertisement