Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violence in Games on Pat Kenny show in a minute

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have never smashed a controller or rage quit a game :D

Now i know someone that within a week bought 4 ps3 controllers cos they got frustrated and smashed 4 pads against the wall/ground haha The same person has gone through at least 8 controllers in total on the ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

COYVB wrote: »
    I must be a sociopath so. And so much most of my mates who play games. My father too. And my brother. And my wife. Because I can safely say I've only ever known one person who has smashed a controller, and none who would quit a game because they're losing (at least that I'm aware of, I've got no idea how they play against other people)

In all the years of playing games you have never once got stuck on a mission or died and then turned off the game? Even on Mega Man or NES Star Wars?

I do it the whole time, I have lost count of the number of times I have turned off Candy crush and vowed never to play it again only to start it back up ten mins later for one more try.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Again just so there is no misunderstanding I am not talking about any link between games and real world violence, there is no link.

I am talking about the impact of being under stress for extended periods of time. Which has been proven time and time again to have a negative impact on both mental and physical health.

If you are letting games stress you out it points to deeper issues and isn't a result of the videogames either. I'm sorry but your arguments aren't backed up in anyway by sound scientific knowledge or facts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I don't think I've ever smashed something, but I've sure hell almost done it countless times. Bottled it all up though. Just after listening to the playback. I've mixed feelings on the piece. On one hand I'm glad Video Games were generally painted in a good way, on the other hand I wasn't fully convinced that the studies description of video games were accurate.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you are letting games stress you out it points to deeper issues and isn't a result of the videogames either. I'm sorry but your arguments aren't backed up in anyway by sound scientific knowledge or facts.

Maybe you play games in this emotionless bubble where you just stare blankly at the screen pressing buttons without having any reaction to what you are experiencing in game, but I don't think that is the norm for the majority of players and sounds terribly boring.

I have experienced, and spoken to a lot of players who get scared playing survival horror games for example, and when they get to the end of a mission they breath a huge sigh of relief because they had been worried about the scary alien/monster/ghost killing them. They might have an increased heart rate, increased skin temperature, sweaty hands, tight jaw, tense back or shoulders, sore thumbs. This is why quiet often I will play for an hour or two then need to take a break, get up and do something else or get a cup of tea. If I was in that state for ten hours a day 7 days a week I am sure it would have a impact.

But you are saying this is not actually due to the game being scary, as the game is not scary it is a much deeper personal issue that is scarring me???? Maybe I should do some counseling to see if I have suppressed any Zenomorph related tragedies as a kid that is manifesting itself as stress while playing Alien Isolation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Maybe you play games in this emotionless bubble where you just stare blankly at the screen pressing buttons without having any reaction to what you are experiencing in game, but I don't think that is the norm for the majority of players and sounds terribly boring.

I have experienced, and spoken to a lot of players who get scared playing survival horror games for example, and when they get to the end of a mission they breath a huge sigh of relief because they had been worried about the scary alien/monster/ghost killing them. They might have an increased heart rate, increased skin temperature, sweaty hands, tight jaw, tense back or shoulders, sore thumbs. This is why quiet often I will play for an hour or two then need to take a break, get up and do something else or get a cup of tea. If I was in that state for ten hours a day 7 days a week I am sure it would have a impact.

But you are saying this is not actually due to the game being scary, as the game is not scary it is a personal issue that is scarring them????

Strawman argument and no to the last question. They are all normal responses to those situations but something like smashing a controller is way over the top and if you smash the controller it's because you are the type of person to smash a controller not that the game turned you into a controller smasher. That's the difference right there. Someone that smashes a controller is probably the type of person to throw a tool around or punch something if they are frustrated in other walks of life. Videogames aren't going to change the behaviour of any normal person and any preceived behavioural changes are as a result of underlying conditions that are already present. And well that's what all the extensive scientific research points to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Qualities of a Sociopath - Lack of real emotion in response to events.

I'm saying that if you never get an emotional response from playing games good or bad then there is something wrong.

Do you think it would be normal to sit for hours and hours playing a game if it gave you no enjoyment, if it was just blankly pressing buttons without any reward.

Games trigger emotions, if they trigger emotions in you that is normal.

Have you ever played a really intense difficult mission where you had to be really locked into it and afterwards found your jaw was sore from clenching it, or your hands sweaty.

For most this is an occasional thing and they will get up and shake it off after a few minutes. But if you are putting a kid under that kind of stress that yields those results for hours and hour a day. Then don't tell me that has zero impact.

Someone who smashes a controller due to a game would probably smash something else in another environment. And that level of violence is nothing like someone rage quitting.

I've been playing Dust: An Elysian Tale for the last two hours and I am stuck. I turned it off as I was fed up trying and failing at the same point. If we are to take what you are saying as gospel then I turned off the game out of frustration and annoyance. Except that isn't why. This was merely a time saving exercise as I have other things that need to be done. it wasn't an emotional response like you are suggesting it would be.

If you say that these are the traits of a sociopath then I think you need to study some psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

lertsnim wrote: »
    Someone who smashes a controller due to a game would probably smash something else in another environment.

Definitely.

It takes every ounce of my being not to tear down the extractor unit above my hob every time I whack my head off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I have totaled a couple of playstation controllers back in the day! PES master league could be brutal and I often came a cropper against a last minute AI goal. Whole seasons hung in the balance and were lost!
    Thankfully I have mellowed with age and would like to think 33 year old would not behave in that manner!

(although I havent played PES in years!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I don't have time to read every study ever, I will just use known scientific facts on how stimulants impact the brain on a chemical level.

If you think playing games has zero impact on you or anyone else then you are wrong. Show me a single gamer who hasn't smashed a controller, or rage quit a game and i'll show you a Sociopath.

Have you ever found yourself shouting at the ref in FIFA? That's not a normal thing to do is it? To shout at an group of pixels on a screen that can't hear you or respond to you.

I was playing GTA last night and the PS4 got a black screen for about 3 seconds and I got killed half way through a mission. You would have thought someone came in pulled down their pants and made a big mess on my sitting room floor I was so disgusted with it. That is not normal, but that is the very real impact games have on a person.

Games are a cerebral stimulant and trigger an emotional response just like every other form of artwork (perhaps even more so). They can make you feel happy, sad, angry, upset, afraid, frustrated.

Does this translate into turning a normal person into a violent person? No, but can it turn a normal kid into a temporarily frustrated one? Yes it can.

If this is repeated over long periods of time then it will have an impact, stress is one of the worst things for your physical and mental health. Being under stress as a kid for long periods of time will have a impact and can lead to all sorts of problems.
    I think it is pretty much non disputable at this stage that stimulants have an impact on chemicals in the brain? Which in turn have an impact on behavior. Otherwise cocaine wouldn't be so popular.

Your arguments are fultile dude, really. Some would believe that games have absolutely zero influence on mankind. Somehow we can only be influenced by everything else, but game :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Your arguments are fultile dude, really. Some would believe that games have absolutely zero influence on mankind. Somehow we can only be influenced by everything else, but game :rolleyes:
    Ah right. Because all those studies have proved that gaming really does have an effect on how violent or sexist you are, right? :rolleyes: Look, I'm not saying gaming doesn't have effects. But I don't know a single BAD effect gaming has. It can open your eyes to things you never thought of, or see something in a completely different light (a reason Spec Ops:The Line is one of the greatest games ever). But there is no evidence that gaming can make you more violent or misogynistic than you already are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    It can open your eyes to things you never thought of, or see something in a completely different light (a reason Spec Ops:The Line is one of the greatest games ever). But there is no evidence that gaming can make you more violent or misogynistic than you already are.

Ok, everyone needs to calm down. :p

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Ok, everyone needs to calm down. :p
    I meant in terms of story-telling haha. It's an ok game but the way it makes you feel absolutely horrified after playing it is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I meant in terms of story-telling haha. It's an ok game but the way it makes you feel absolutely horrified after playing it is amazing.

Just joking. :pac: It's one of my favourite games of last gen. An Apocalypse Now themed game set in modern Dubai is just a recipe of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

I know a young man, 22, plays wow all the time. still lives at home with is parents, doesn't have a job, has no intention of getting a job.

Won't interact with any one at home at all, won't even come out to have dinner with the family...just stays in his room playing wow 24/7.

Barely sleeps.

Parents won't do anything about it as they don't want to stress him out as he has huge anger issues if they try and get him to do anything else.

They reckon he will eventually grow out of it...mean while he is getting older and missing out on real life...like going to college getting an education, or starting to work to earn a living. He has no other desires then to just play wow.

This game isn't violent but shows how games can become as addictive as any chemical drug and take complete control over your life if allowed to do so.

should it be banned as a result: certainly not. But some people need help a lot of help to get out of these addictions.

As with any addiction they can have a huge impact on all aspects of our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I get quite a rage playing FIFA but anything else no. FIFA can be infuriating!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I got GTA San Andreas for my 10th birthday, my parents hadn't a clue what it was about.

Thing is, I turned out relatively okay and don't go round shooting prostitute etc

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Just because computer games show violence doesn't mean that it's going to influence people into committing a violent crime.

I think someone that was committing a crime already had a criminal nature and possibly in a court of law, in order to get some time off their sentence may try and say....computer games made me do it so It's not might fault sort of thing as I'm mentally challenged.

I think the addictive nature of games can be far more of an issue for a lot of people. However most people know some sort of balance in their lives.

However I do wonder do computer games play a role in desensitizing people to the current growing level of violence in the world.

We don't get as many people protesting at acts of violence, terrorism or war as we used to in the past before computer games where around.

If people see injustice happening they kinda ignore it and continue on in there own lives, they just let it happen.

Now this may largely lie also with the media, but computer games is also another form of media and I wonder how much of a part is plays in that even on a subconscious level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's widely known that Genghis khan platinumed GTA V on PS3 and PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wow, it sure is 2005 in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Is it? Better get down the bookies so. Liverpool are about to win the champions league! I'll make a fortune.

I can invest the winnings in this new internet start up.....Twitface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

In all the years of playing games you have never once got stuck on a mission or died and then turned off the game?

Of course I have, but that's not rage quitting. I'll usually take a break from a game if I can't get past a certain point, either to just take a break from gaming in general and go do something or just that game for a while. Then when I come back to it I usually figure things out fast enough.

It's not rage quitting though, as it's never done in anger, ever.

COYVB wrote: »
    Of course I have, but that's not rage quitting. I'll usually take a break from a game if I can't get past a certain point, either to just take a break from gaming in general and go do something or just that game for a while. Then when I come back to it I usually figure things out fast enough.

It's not rage quitting though, as it's never done in anger, ever.

Looks like we are different, You die 50 times in a row in a tense frustrating part of a game because of an issue within the game and are able to say "say oops a daisy this particular part of the game while still fun is getting the better of me, I appear to be dying over and over again but each time it is still enjoyable, what i will do now is pop the game off re-evaluate how I am approaching it and come back later".

I say "****ing game is an annoying piece of ****" & turn it off. Cool down then come back ten mins later say one more go and beat it.

Right now I'm stuck on the helicopter bit in dead light this will be about my tenth time doing this same segment because the character pauses for a 1/4 of a second when he hits the second fence but no other fence and this is enough to slow me down enough that i get shot.

I am here taking my break.

Edit got past it ahhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Here's the difference I suppose, I do this for a living. So I ultimately don't really care if the game is broken or causing me issues getting past a section. I've rarely paid for it, and I'll mark it down accordingly. So what you say is essentially exactly the process I go through. "This isn't working - either it's very bad development or I'm missing something obvious. I'll go do something for an hour and come back and see how I fare then."

More often than not it's me being a retard

Looks like we are different, You die 50 times in a row in a tense frustrating part of a game because of an issue within the game and are able to say "say oops a daisy this particular part of the game while still fun is getting the better of me, I appear to be dying over and over again but each time it is still enjoyable, what i will do now is pop the game off re-evaluate how I am approaching it and come back later".

I say "****ing game is an annoying piece of ****" & turn it off. Cool down then come back ten mins later say one more go and beat it.

Right now I'm stuck on the helicopter bit in dead light this will be about my tenth time doing this same segment because the character pauses for a 1/4 of a second when he hits the second fence but no other fence and this is enough to slow me down enough that i get shot.

Never play Dark Souls so! I have a feeling it would crush your spirit :P

But look, that's fine! There is nothing wrong with having that kind of reaction to a game. As long as you are having fun at the end of the day what else really matters? Like, I love games. I know a lot about games. Things that would annoy me (Frame-rate drops, obvious pop-in etc) in games wouldn't worry my friends. But just because they annoy me doesn't mean that I don't enjoy my gaming. I can't play a game I don't enjoy. Some games are just plain bad, others just annoy me with their plot, mechanics etc. But the games I enjoy and love are totally worth all that. Gaming is an experience, an interactive media where you can be anyone.

However, all of this has nothing to do with the topic at hand which is that there is no link between gaming and violence. There probably never will be. People are smart enough to know that gaming isn't real and that they can't just go around shooting people in the face for fun in real life!

However, all of this has nothing to do with the topic at hand which is that there is no link between gaming and violence. There probably never will be. People are smart enough to know that gaming isn't real and that they can't just go around shooting people in the face for fun in real life!

Oh yeah I know that, I never said it was, I was only saying that stress has an impact. That being in a stressful situation for extended periods of time over a continuous time period will have an impact. This can manifest in physical or mental symptoms. It is why people get time off from work due to stress and there is a litany of stress related issues and illnesses.

All I am saying is if kids are playing in stressful scenarios such as highly intense adrenaline fueled games for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, that this will have an impact, and that the time should be limited to 1-2 hours a day to reduce the impact. I didn't think this was such an outrageous way of thinking that needed to be backed up by scientific studies as it seems like common sense to me.

I'm not saying it will drive them to be violent, or sexist, or turn them into monsters that don't understand the difference between games and reality. Just that it is not healthy and that is before we look at the health risks of sitting for ten hours a day drinking a ridiculous amount of sugar/caffeine loaded drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,887 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think your main issue here is the fact that you're just not very good at videogames.

Maybe find a new hobby? I've heard crocheting is relaxing? :pac:

The only people I've ever known to freak out like this because of a game were folks who were unstable and angry to begin with.

I'd a mate when I was a kid who threw his NES down the stairs once as a result of too much Ninja Gaiden. He's now in prison.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd a mate when I was a kid who threw his NES down the stairs once as a result of too much Ninja Gaiden. He's now in prison.

Maybe there's an exception to the rule when it comes to that game. There's a bug on the last boss meaning if you lose just one life on the last boss it sends you back 4 stages. And not just 4 stages, 4 of the most horrible gruelling and evil stages devised by man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I know people who are very calm when playing single player games however when it is an online match the high intensity competition(fighting games) against a real opponent greatly adds to the emotional investment of both players and although I myself have never broke my stuff I have seen "these people" break pads and punch TV sets or snap a game in half.

Advertisement