Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless cards and the London Underground

Options
  • 23-12-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

The Tube has a new scheme where you can use your card in place of their Oyster Card. But not if it's a B of I visa debit card. Any news on when this might be possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Ce he sin

Thanks for your post today. 

We've found some information here on the cards accepted by London Underground. It might be best to check directly if they'll allow 'Visa Debit' Card payments. 

Our contactless cards should be accepted worldwide.

Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Hi Ce he sin

Thanks for your post today. 

We've found some information on the cards accepted by London Underground. It might be best to check directly if they'll allow 'Visa Debit' Card payments. 

Our contactless cards should be accepted worldwide.

Thanks
    Alison
    I've already seen this page but it's not much use as it says that some overseas Visa debit cards are not accepted and says elsewhere that some issuers may not have issued the latest type of card. Have you had comments from other customers about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Ce he sin 

We've not had similar queries to this, it's unusual for the Visa Debit Card not to operate at a contactless device once the retailer or business accepts this particular 'card type'. It might be best to check with London Underground if they are going to be able to accept these card types or if they have plans to accept them? 

Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I used my BOI contactless card on buses in London quite a few times so if the Tube has the same system, I'd imagine it would work. 

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Two and a half years later in July 2017 I again ask the question :
    Can BOI Visa Debit Cards be used on London Underground for Contactless payments?

The last such consumer query on this thread did not seem to have an answer other than "ask TFL" - Fat lot of use that kind of answer was!

Does BOI itself now know whether of not their contactless Visa Debit cards issued in Ireland are acceptable on London Underground or not?

• Advertisement

Ernest wrote: »
    Can BOI Visa Debit Cards be used on London Underground for Contactless payments?

The last such consumer query on this thread did not seem to have an answer other than "ask TFL" - Fat lot of use that kind of answer was!

Does BOI itself now know whether of not their contactless Visa Debit cards issued in Ireland are acceptable on London Underground or not?
    They can. My first card didn't work but the next one I got was a different design from a different maker and I managed to use it in 2016. If you turn over your card and see "Gemalto" on the top right corner you should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was in London thinking this was a great idea... Used our Visa Debits to pay for the subway.

It was a great idea until we realised that each transaction was double whammied by non euro tx charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for your post.

Our Contactless cards can be used abroad wherever the Contactless option is available. As we mentioned before, we would advise you to check with London Underground directly if you have trouble using your card at the station.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for your post.

Our Contactless cards can be used abroad wherever the Contactless option is available. As we mentioned before, we would advise you to check with London Underground directly if you have trouble using your card at the station.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    That is a useless and lazy reply! The whole point of my posting was for Bank of Ireland to find out if its cards are, or are not, acceptable on London Transport contactless payments terminals.

Since, as far as I know, Bank of Ireland has branches in the UK - I wanted the bank itself to "check with London Underground directly" as to whether or not BOI Visa Debit cards will work on payment terminals at underground stations or indeed on buses. For heavens sake its not much to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for your post.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    That is a useless and lazy reply! The whole point of my posting was for Bank of Ireland to find out if its cards are, or are not, acceptable on London Transport contactless payments terminals.

Since, as far as I know, Bank of Ireland has branches in the UK - I wanted the bank itself to "check with London Underground directly" as to whether or not BOI Visa Debit cards will work on payment terminals at underground stations or indeed on buses. For heavens sake its not much to ask!
    It is perfectly reasonable to ask BOI if its cards operate to a given standard. It is not reasonable to ask them if businesses all over the world accept that standard.

• Advertisement

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for your post.

Thanks,
    Sarah

It is perfectly reasonable to ask BOI if its cards operate to a given standard. It is not reasonable to ask them if businesses all over the world accept that standard.
    I wasn't asking about the acceptability of BOI cards to "businesses all over the world" - just to one huge business in the capital city of our nearest neighbour where BOI has operating for years. Its not a lot to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I wasn't asking about the acceptability of BOI cards to "businesses all over the world" - just to one huge business in the capital city of our nearest neighbour where BOI has operating for years. Its not a lot to ask.

You are being unreasonable. You want them to contact another business in a different country on your behalf. I bet if a customer did that to you in your place of work you'd be insulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Tow

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

You are being unreasonable. You want them to contact another business in a different country on your behalf. I bet if a customer did that to you in your place of work you'd be insulted.
    BOI have a lot of business in the UK, including running the all banking for the UK post offices. So it is not an unreasonable request.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for your post.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Ernest,

Sorry you feel that the reply wasn't useful.

As some posters have mentioned above they have been able to use their card successfully on the London Underground.

If your card features a contactless payment symbol then you can use it to make purchases at home and abroad.
    You can make contactless payments wherever you see the contactless symbol.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else,

Thanks,
    kareana

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aomalley9

I recently e-mailed Transport for London  about using your Bank of Ireland VISA debit contactless card. They don't recommend using BOI VISA debit contactless card on public transport in London. 

Bank of Ireland say you can use their visa cards on the Tube and buses in London but you'll be charged. The best advice from TFL is get a oyster card.

I wonder why? I've used a Visa debit card on London public transport without any problems (now that the type of card they issue has been changed). I've also used a phone with Android Pay. That works just fine too.

Advertisement