Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer work in Australia

Options
  • 23-12-2014 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been thinking about spending my summer working in Australia, and I wanted to ask about where would be the best place to go?
    I've also just realised that it would be winter during my summer holidays, so would that change much job wise?

I'd be happy doing pretty much anything, tbh.
    I was planning on staying in a hostel or couchsurfing at first, while searching for some short term accommodation.

Any advice? I've only just started looking up visas etc, so I'm still quite ignorant of what I should expect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi,
    I've been thinking about spending my summer working in Australia, and I wanted to ask about where would be the best place to go?
    I've also just realised that it would be winter during my summer holidays, so would that change much job wise?

I was planning on staying in a hostel or couchsurfing at first, while searching for some short term accommodation.

Any advice? I've only just started looking up visas etc, so I'm still quite ignorant of what I should expect.

Are you over 18? You realise you would have to get a working holiday visa and that you only get one chance at this? You would not be able to get another working holiday visa ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Hi,

Work can take time to procure, you have to wait a while plus youth unemployment is very high here. It's the jobs the locals don't want to do is where you'll get work like crop picking. You're better off waiting until you can be free for a whole year to use the working holiday visa because you can only use it once, it would be a waste to use it just for a few months. Plus you'd give up the option of a second year visa.

Check the sticky on the forum pages visas, look at working holiday visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Don't waste your working visa on one summer, its too far to travel and there is too much to see for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

For a season I suggest you come out on a holiday.
    If you intend to come out for a year or longer, then I'd apply for a work visa.
    Your options are substantially larger then.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

Sorry, just to be clear - I can get a holiday visa for a summer without ruling out the possibility of getting a work visa in 4/5 years time?

I'm looking to go back to college, so I'm not thinking of working abroad for any longer than a summer for a while.

All I'd want to know is where would be a good place to go for a 21 y/o. I'd just want to go to meet people and somewhere I can explore a little/stay in hostels in near by places of interest.
    Because Ireland is so small, it's easy enough for young people working for a summer do go to different cities or places like glendalough for the weekend, but I don't know how possible that is in Australia because of the size.

I'd be happy with crop picking or something- any crappy job is fine for only a few months. I'd rather one like that than something like a call centre (although I'd be open to that if I couldn't find anything else; I'm fluent in German & French and have two years cc experience, so I say I'd be able to find something like that easily enough).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Sorry, just to be clear - I can get a holiday visa for a summer without ruling out the possibility of getting a work visa in 4/5 years time? .

You can get a tourist visa but it won't allow to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

Two different visas. A holiday visa does not entitle you to work.

And crop picking is quite competitive now. Teams of Cambodians rule the grapes down here. They are super efficient, fast, are proficient in all equipment use and much sought after. It's not a matter of wandering in anymore.

For what you are describing for the beaurocratic hassle and cost involved I'd be inclined to find a holiday in the EU.

Alternatively, you could approach a French or German firm and ask for an internship in one of their Australian operations. This may satisfy visa requirements.

Advertisement