Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Idris Elba for Bond?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Let Bond be Bond - some of these suggestions sound more suited to the Bourne Identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Let Bond be whatever the film makers and performers want it to be. The only issue should be whether or not it'll be an enjoyable movie. I don't think his skin color will even remotely matter to the artistic success of the film, you may as well give out about Daniel Craig's hair color too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

So what I'm getting from this thread is that the deeply intricate, internally consistent narrative of Bond, its powerful social commentary and its stark, and incredibly important analysis of morality in the modern age would all be undermined if the protagonist's skin tone were to change.
    This doesn't seem particularly important, especially for a film with a plot summary of:

exposition look-a-gadget sneak sneak karate-chop pew pew vrooom vroooooooom *explosion*

Bit of cognitive dissonance, there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

An awful token gesture. Ridiculous really.

He's a great actor but this would go totally against the character as outlined in the novels.

Besides Craig has one more movie guaranteed and possibly another meaning he'd be at most 52-53 when finished.

Elba, in that case, would be pushing 47 or so.

He's too old to take over for a run of movies after Craig and doing one is pointless.

Elba at 47 could get in 3 films anyway tbh, I wouldn't mind it, huge Elba fan. Not sure he needs to be Bond but certainly wouldn't be opposed to it.

The next Bond discussion will probably be better off being left for another couple of years anyway, Craig still has a couple in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Bit of cognitive dissonance, there.

I'm pretty sure the first post is sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thaidad

kryogen wrote: »
    Elba at 47 could get in 3 films anyway tbh, I wouldn't mind it, huge Elba fan. Not sure he needs to be Bond but certainly wouldn't be opposed to it.

The next Bond discussion will probably be better off being left for another couple of years anyway, Craig still has a couple in him

I think using elba is not thinking outside the box enough, we need a black female to play bond maybe a transsexual lesbian black female so they can still sleeps with lots of women, but that aspect has always been very rapey so the sleeping with random women might best be removed altogether along with the use of guns, cannot be shown to use guns might give the kids ideas to shoot up a school or what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Why does it matter what colour he is? Bond should probably stay as a male for now at least, but wtf difference does it make if he is portrayed by a black actor?

kryogen wrote: »
    Why does it matter what colour he is? Bond should probably stay as a male for now at least, but wtf difference does it make if he is portrayed by a black actor?

White men are ****lords don't you know, the worst of the worst bond needs to be a POC to make up for slavey.

Also if it doesn't matter what colour he is why make him black?

thaidad wrote: »
    Also if it doesn't matter what colour he is why make him black?
    You just answered your own question there.

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    You just answered your own question there.

History of him being white, if his colour doesn't matter there is zero reason to change other then to apesse coloured people, the people that want to change it just for the change are the ones that care the most about what colour he is.

And truthfully it doesn't matter that sony want a POC for the part, eon and mgm have the control sony only co-produce, eon will vito a coloured Bond.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

if his colour doesn't matter there is zero reason to change other then to apesse coloured people

Oh ffs.

The fact that his colour doesn't matter means the COLOUR DOESN'T MATTER!!! Why are you so hung up on the fact that Bond is white??

I'm not thinking of Ibris Elba as potentially the new BLACK Bond. I'm thinking of him as potential the new suave, charming, charismatic cool as fúck Bond. His colour doesn't come into the equation. There is no appeasement.

Oh ffs.

The fact that his colour doesn't matter means the COLOUR DOESN'T MATTER!!! Why are you so hung up on the fact that Bond is white??

I'm not thinking of Ibris Elba as potentially the new BLACK Bond. I'm thinking of him as potential the new suave, charming, charismatic cool as fúck Bond. His colour doesn't come into the equation. There is no appeasement.

Cause he is writen and has a history of being white, if his colour really did not matter there is zero reason to change that history.

Eon won't allow it anyway and sony should ask them if they can create a spin off 008 with Elba as the POC spy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Coloured people? What year is this?

circadian wrote: »
    Coloured people? What year is this?

POC - Person of Colour is the most proper PC term look it up

Black and American American are no longer PC so they went back to coloured person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭AnimalChin

I've no problem with a black Bond, once there's a good reason like what was mentioned earlier about 'Bond' simply being a code name etc.

Shoe-horning a black actor in and disregarding the history of the last few Bonds would kind of cheapen the franchise I think.

They just need to find the right way to go about this.

• Advertisement

Cause he is writen and has a history of being white, if his colour really did not matter there is zero reason to change that history.

Bond is also written as being 6 foot tall and having black hair. Daniel Craig is 5'8'' and blond.

There are 24 movies in all, and very little of them has included any backstory, because it does not matter. Bond is all about action, gadgets, cars, women and martini's in fancy glasses.

No one gives a toss about his colour except fanboys and racists. Which one are you?

AnimalChin wrote: »
    I've no problem with a black Bond, once there's a good reason like what was mentioned earlier about 'Bond' simply being a code name etc.

Shoe-horning a black actor in and disregarding the history of the last few Bonds would kind of cheapen the franchise I think.

They just need to find the right way to go about this.

Code man theory got debunked in skyfall, I was disappointed cause I thought it was a good idea but it's now cannon it's the same person, spinoff 008 would be best as I don't think we have meet a 008 yet.

Bond is also written as being 6 foot tall and having black hair. Daniel Craig is 5'8'' and blond.

There are 24 movies in all, and very little of them has included any backstory, because it does not matter. Bond is all about action, gadgets, cars, women and martini's in fancy glasses.

No one gives a toss about his colour except fanboys and racists. Which one are you?

Cause I wan't a cannon I am racist, I think you are racisit as you want to remove a white persons cannon history do you hate white people that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Cause I wan't a cannon I am racist, I think you are racisit as you want to remove a white persons cannon history do you hate white people that much?

Why do you want a cannon? Not very Bond, is it?

We've had Bonds of different hair colors, eye colors, nationalities, shapes and heights. Why is the color of his skin a no go all of a sudden? How is this any different to having an Irish actor play Bond for instance?

I think whatever sanctity Ian Fleming's books had have already been disregarded tenfold over the course of the film series anyway.

• Advertisement

Why do you want a cannon? Not very Bond, is it?

Cause there is a cannon, how is having the established bond cannon not very bond? That make no sense

e_e wrote: »
    grammarist.com/spelling/canon-cannon]

Sorry english is not my first language, I will try better no to be a better writer but expect some mistakes with words like that, sorry for any confusion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think he'd make a good Bond. There are plenty of ways they could write the change of personnel into the script (if anyone really needed it).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Canon has never been important in Bond films before. The last 3 are the only ones that have stuck to much of a coherent backstory really and when Craig moves on the series will be changed up again.

Hell even Skyfall was pretty tonally different to the first two Craig ones with a return to the less grounded stuff while keeping a bit of an edge.

Elba would be great in the role for no other reason than he is a good actor with great charisma and screen presence, the colour of his skin really is irrelevant.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Canon has never been important in Bond films before. The last 3 are the only ones that have stuck to much of a coherent backstory really and when Craig moves on the series will be changed up again.

Hell even Skyfall was pretty tonally different to the first two Craig ones with a return to the less grounded stuff while keeping a bit of an edge.

Elba would be great in the role for no other reason than he is a good actor with great charisma and screen presence, the colour of his skin really is irrelevant.

Canon is very important in the last few bond movies, why reboot the series again when this canon has been great just to make him coloured when race doesn't matter, a spin off 008 make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Has anyone made a case for Tom Hiddleston?

Jawgap wrote: »
    Has anyone made a case for Tom Hiddleston?

He is white so a no go, the new money penny is coloured but one POC is not enough they will only accept a coloured bond as race doesn't matter so they will only accept coloured people for bond whites need not apply

He is white so a no go, the new money penny is coloured but one POC is not enough they will only accept a coloured bond as race doesn't matter so they will only accept coloured people for bond whites need not apply

Now you sound like a mental person.

• Advertisement

The best choice after Craig for a run of films is Fassbender.

Fuck it, give the movies to Lenny Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

He's a great actor but this would go totally against the character as outlined in the novels.

Moore was also completely against character. He'd be almost completely unrecognizable to Fleming as the Bond he wrote.

I've been a lifelong Bond fan and I've wanted Fassbender to play him ever since I saw him in Inglorious Bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

POC - Person of Colour is the most proper PC term look it up

Black and American American are no longer PC so they went back to coloured person.

POC is the usage instead of "coloured" and covers all non-white people.

We all know Benedict Cumberbatch will be cast anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've never heard "person of colour" used outside of a US context.

Ridley wrote: »
    POC is the usage instead of "coloured" and covers all non-white people.

We all know Benedict Cumberbatch will be cast anyway.

Person of colour is coloured, colour is the defining part of the term, you can type it a POC or coloured.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I think Danny Dyer should be the next James Bond:D

http://metro.co.uk/2010/04/27/danny-dyer-id-be-cheap-james-bond-266477/

Moore was also completely against character. He'd be almost completely unrecognizable to Fleming as the Bond he wrote.

I've been a lifelong Bond fan and I've wanted Fassbender to play him ever since I saw him in Inglorious Bastards.

Which is why I'm not too fond of Moore. I prefer Dalton, Connery and Lazenby. Brosnan was a good Bond but the films were horrible. I'm indifferent to Craig, he wouldn't be my choice at all but his films have been great apart from Quantum. I'd have preferred if Fassbender took over for Spectre and that they do a remake of OHMSS.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

This thread is hilarious! I've nothing against Elba being cast, or indeed anybody else, but the arguments about it not being right for Bond to be black based on previous films is pure silly. I'm pretty sure that Flemming's Felix Leiter was white, but he's been cast black twice now (if you count Never Say Never Again) and there was no fuss that I'm aware of. And speaking of which, wasn't Felix maimed in Licence to Kill, yet in subsequent films he's as able bodied as everybody else? To think that there's any consistency in the series is ridiculous. Just enjoy each movie for what it is no matter who is cast.

• Advertisement

The character is white. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Get a better script. END OF STORY.

If Ian Fleming were alive he would be asked who is James Bond, is he of a particular race or colour, and whatever his answer was would have to stand, politically correct or not politically correct! If Fleming said it was cool to have Elba as bond it would be fine. We'll never know...and I guess the writers/producers can do whatever they want. Would be very controversial though if Elba became Bond!

The man himself responds.......

_79951191_twitter.png

The missus thinks he should get the gig - apparently it's the voice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Joeythepirate

If Ian Fleming were alive he would be asked who is James Bond, is he of a particular race or colour, and whatever his answer was would have to stand, politically correct or not politically correct! If Fleming said it was cool to have Elba as bond it would be fine. We'll never know...and I guess the writers/producers can do whatever they want. Would be very controversial though if Elba became Bond!

Sony are the pushing ones for the coloured actor, they have zero pull it's eon and mgm that get to say he is not a POC and eon are very mindful of bond history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

The character is white. End of story.

Starbuck is a man. End of story.

frdBQZx.jpg

Watson is an English man. End of story.

KBDXBO9.jpg

Nick Fury is white. End of story.

mXw2EnN.jpg

The Human Torch is white. End of story.

mEwV1Eo.jpg

Heimdall is white. End of story.

xqxEf0H.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Joeythepirate banned for trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

It isn't the fact that he was written white, that is an arbitrary choice. But the canonical background precludes him from being anything else since he's from aristocracy.

To those claiming that Irish welsh whatever played him so you can change colour is ridiculous. They played the part as English (bar Connery, who cant do accents at all).

Regarding height and hair colour, those characteristics can change while still maintaining the character story.

How can the character maintain story of they are black. That forces a lot of existing story to be just discarded. I hate this ignoring source material just because some PC goon in marketing and testing says so.

Why is it that because someone floated the suggestion of Elba as Bond, that it must have been made just to be politically correct? Are people really incapable of seeing it as just another suggestion of an actor to play Bond?

And why is it okay when the source material ignored when it comes to looks and nationality? Doesn't Eve in Skyfall go on to be M's Secretary, aka, Miss Moneypenny? Eve is black if you don't recall.

I think there are a couple of ways to look at this.

(1) That Fleming's idea of Bond is immutable and the films should stay true to that material

or

(2) Fleming's writing was of it's time and if he was creating Bond today then as an SIS officer he would likely write him up as a person who could just as likely be black, working class, with a double first from Oxford in Mathematics and cyberscience or whatever and a taste for extreme sports as white and upper class with a double in Oriental languages from Cambridge and a half-decent golfer.

EDIT: There's some precedent for this given the casting of Judi Dench as 'M' following the appointment of Stella Rimington as the DG of MI5. MI6 has never had a female DG.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

If he absolutely has to be aristocratic then he could be the son of any of a number of new peers ennobled in the sixties and seventies. Off the top of my head Learie Constantine and David Pitt were both black and made Lords in the sixties. If they're good enough for the Queen they ought to be good enough for a fictional schlock character!
    There was also that girl who was adopted in the 1700s (?) there was a film made about her recently, Belle or something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement