Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit?

• 23-12-2014 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Bought a sit on top a while back, have yet to use it. Probably wait till Spring.
    Plan on going out Dun Laoghaire, Sandycove, Killiney area.

Will I need a wetsuit? If so, would a shorty be a good idea? Thickness?
    Don't plan on spending too much time in the water.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

garlad wrote: »
    Hey,
    Bought a sit on top a while back, have yet to use it. Probably wait till Spring.

Hey it really depends on what you are like how much you can do etc where will you launch will you have to walk in and get wet.
    Wind could be bad when you go. But it could be mild either will you paddle for a few miles or just hang around same area?

I wear thermals but then again I never get wet and if it is its only up to my ankles and a bit on spray deck which soaks thru to my knees.

Your knees will get splashed if your paddling a bit.
    However if you are not a confident paddler and you do capsize a wet suit maybe beneficial for a short time..

Will you be paddling in a group?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

monflat wrote: »
    Hey it really depends on what you are like how much you can do etc where will you launch will you have to walk in and get wet.
    Wind could be bad when you go. But it could be mild either will you paddle for a few miles or just hang around same area?

I wear thermals but then again I never get wet and if it is its only up to my ankles and a bit on spray deck which soaks thru to my knees.

Your knees will get splashed if your paddling a bit.
    However if you are not a confident paddler and you do capsize a wet suit maybe beneficial for a short time..

Will you be paddling in a group?

Thanks for the reply. Probably just hang around same area until I get comfortable. Should be able to walk in up to knees.
    I hope to go out with at least one other person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Thanks for the reply. Probably just hang around same area until I get comfortable. Should be able to walk in up to knees.
    I hope to go out with at least one other person.

Ah not necessarily. I'm not familiar with the areas which you will be goin so I couldn't tell you if there is a pontoon area or not.
    I'm not familiar either with those sit on top either!

I suppose the main thing would be to get knowledge of the area undercurrents etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Hey,

A Dry Suit would be more suitable than a wet suit, especially in the cold weather. With a SOT you will get wet from paddle splashing, waves breaking over your bow, water ingress through the scupper holes and finally if you fall in. It's much more comfortable to paddle in and you can layer up (or down) underneath to suit the weather. Remember, even in summer the water temp can still be very cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Dry suits are waaay more expensive though. If you're not going to get seriously into kayaking it's probably not worth the money unless you're loaded. I've been paddling for years and I only got one this year, worth the money though because I mostly paddle in winter when it rains.

You can get sleeveless wetsuits which would be more comfortable for paddling like this

Then wear a splash jacket over it to keep the wind off you, like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Hey,

Hi, I paddle a SOT from Bulloch Harbour and wear a pair of sailing waterproof salopettes and a micro fleece top with a cag over the top. Fine for the summer time. I also have a long-john wetsuit and booties for colder times of the year.

Watch the tide runs between Dalkey Island and Sorrento Terrace as it can be very strong and you can easily get caught out there as I have found out from experience!!

Advertisement