Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2015 California

Options
  • 05-06-2007 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

I'm heading over to two mates on Sat (9th) we are all 22 age group, students from Dublin. They have a place sorted right on Long Beach, sweet balcony view out onto Beach. BBQ in da place, DVD, Air Conditioning, Widescreen. Basically the works. Costing pretty penny though. $6k for 7 weeks between three & we have two spare beds. If any student / j1 wants to take a bed they're welcome to split the cost. $6k / 4 = $1500, not bad for 7 weeks when you convert to Euro. $6k / 5 = much less. Only problem is the landlords very strict so we'll be having the craic, only in a civilised manner. I would expect this judging by the place & the oldlady that lives below. Otherwise no deposit back. Anyone interested post a reply. Its on Beech Street, Long Beach

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AnBheanRua

Hi , myself and my friend are after booking our flights to go to California at the end of May but we're not sure which city to go to. We'd like to go somewhere along the coast where jobs are plentiful, the pay is good and the rent is cheap :P We're both going to be 20 as well so we have to take that into consideration when picking a place too!
    We'll also probably be looking for some peeps to share with seen as there are only two of us!

All help appreciated!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PhilBill

Hi, my initial plan was to head to Cali, San Fran, but from past experiences of friends I have been told that this would not be a great place to go on my J1. Considering jobs and accom. May I ask why you choose Cali as your destination for your J1? As I am also 20 and trying to figure out where I will head on my J1. I've stuck with Myrtle Beach as that seems the most Irish friendly and friends have traveled there and found it quite easy to find jobs and accomm.

We were also thinking of Myrtle beach but then decided on California because we hope to do a bit of travelling at the end of the summer around the West coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Duff

Myself and 6-7 others are heading to Cali too. Looking at living in Berkeley and working in San Fran. We're going to fly out mid May so getting a job around that time shouldn't be too hard..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 andycarroll1

3 of us are thinking of heading to san diego at the end of may.
    We are 20-21.
    Does anyone no what san diego is like for accommodation, job opportunities and cost of living ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 J1Summer2015

Hi all,

As the title says, I'm doing a J1 in California this summer, likely San Francisco, and I'm travelling alone. I'm a 26-year-old (male) student so I'm not really looking for the whole San Diego thing but still up for having a good time while also working. Is anyone else in the same boat? I'm currently sussing out accommodation and it seems easier to have a few people ready to get a place rather than waiting until arrival to live anywhere with anyone.

Pass this on if you know anyone who might be interested... please and thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jwn1

Hey,

I'm in the same boat as yourself, heading over to San Fran on my own end of May! I think the best idea is to get a group together first & try get accommodation before going over! Are you planning on living in San Fran city? I've heard rent prices are mental so I've been looking at Berkeley but haven't made any decisions yet!

Hi,

Ideally I'd like to get a place in San Fran but a lot of people are suggesting to live in Berkeley and travel to San Fran for work. I've heard that can be awkward though so I'm going to keep a look out! If there's a big difference in rents though I'd happily stay in Berkeley. I'll PM you my details and we'll stay in touch, and after a few weeks we might set up a facebook page or something for house hunters

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nhayes19

AnBheanRua wrote: »
    Hi , myself and my friend are after booking our flights to go to California at the end of May but we're not sure which city to go to. We'd like to go somewhere along the coast where jobs are plentiful, the pay is good and the rent is cheap :P We're both going to be 20 as well so we have to take that into consideration when picking a place too!
    We'll also probably be looking for some peeps to share with seen as there are only two of us!

All help appreciated!! :)

Heya, me and my friend are in pretty much the same situation, we wanna go West Coast but not exactly sure yet, been looking at San Fran or San Diego mostly though. Did ye book with USIT or any other companies like them? We still have to decide on that aswel. My friend that went to San Fran last year said despite what everyone says definitely don't stay in the Berkley Area of SF, that it was a big regret of a lot of j1ers last and to try get sometning in the city.

I'm 19 my friend is 20 so we're in the same situation as ye in that sense aswel :)
    Let me know if ye get anymore details or decide where yer gonna stay, would be much cheaper for everyone if there could be a group put together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ashleedrakexo

Hi,

I'm travelling to Cali on a J1 this summer was thinking Santa Cruz? Anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Nhayes19 wrote: »
    My friend that went to San Fran last year said despite what everyone says definitely don't stay in the Berkley Area of SF, that it was a big regret of a lot of j1ers last and to try get sometning in the city.

There's always a fixation on Berkeley in these threads. Berkeley Berkeley Berkeley.

And I think its because there's a big university there and so there's student accomodation available to rent in the summer.

But there's other cities in the East Bay. Oakland is larger and closer to SF for instance.

Berkeley isnt an area of San Fransisco. Its in the Bay Area but its a whole seperate city to SF. It would be like going to spend the summer in Dublin and staying in Greystones or Maynooth. Its that far.

Hi,

I'm travelling to Cali on a J1 this summer was thinking Santa Cruz? Anyone else?

Do a search on the United States forum. We had a thread on this a few months ago.

Hi everyone,

Thinking California this summer between the end of May until August. Not fully sure yet what part... At 26 I'm not really looking to live with a gang of messy 18/19 year old party animals (a great bunch of lads but I've done all that!) but I still want to have a good time while also working. I'm guessing not many closer to my age are doing this so if you're in the same boat please drop me a PM!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jaynetim

Hi Guys, my friend and I are going to California but we're not sure where to go. I think San Fran would be too expensive for us! Has anyone heard much about Santa Monica? Also, it's just the 2 of us so far so we're hoping we might find people to share accommodation with so any suggestions on how to go about finding accommodation would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MaloneMolly

Hi guys, Me and a few other girls are heading over to California for the summer and haven't really decided on a spot? Want to stay away from the likes of San Fran and maybe go somewhere hot and on a beach? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ðŸ‘

jaynetim wrote: »
    Hi Guys, my friend and I are going to California but we're not sure where to go. I think San Fran would be too expensive for us! Has anyone heard much about Santa Monica? Also, it's just the 2 of us so far so we're hoping we might find people to share accommodation with so any suggestions on how to go about finding accommodation would be great :)

Santa Monica is part of Los Angeles. Its really the main beach community for Los Angeles.

Venice beach is just to the south and much more of what you want but probably prohibitively expensive.

Hi guys, Me and a few other girls are heading over to California for the summer and haven't really decided on a spot? Want to stay away from the likes of San Fran and maybe go somewhere hot and on a beach? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ðŸ‘

Santa Cruz?

Beach town and major surfing centre on the north side of Monterey Bay about 90 mins south of San Fransisco.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93385749

jaynetim wrote: »
    Hi Guys, my friend and I are going to California but we're not sure where to go. I think San Fran would be too expensive for us! Has anyone heard much about Santa Monica? Also, it's just the 2 of us so far so we're hoping we might find people to share accommodation with so any suggestions on how to go about finding accommodation would be grebat :)
    From what I have heard the night life in Santa Monica isn't great if you want to actually go to pubs and clubs? It seems to be mostly house parties! Perfect if yere under 21! That might not be 100% accurate but its what I've heard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jaynetim

That's great thank you! Yeah house parties are more our thing anyway, I don't suppose you know any good places for accommodation there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keith_d

Hi me and a friend are going to venice beach/ Santa Monica area this summer and are looking for people to share accommodation with. Both 20 year old lads. Was in this area last summer and really enjoyed it. Drop us a message about it if you want

• Advertisement

hey anbheanrua :) I'm in the same boat! have flights booked but no idea where to go! :P we want somewhere hot and on the beach so are thinking further south than San Fran, maybe Santa Barbara or Huntington or somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 112480698

so far myself(21) and 2 friends(20,21), all lads from galway, are looking to travel to san diego for summer 2015, anybody wanna share accommodation etc? we were thinking pacific beach would be a cool place to live but if anyone has any other suggestions were open to them?

hey anbheanrua :) I'm in the same boat! have flights booked but no idea where to go! :P we want somewhere hot and on the beach so are thinking further south than San Fran, maybe Santa Barbara or Huntington or somewhere?

Hi MaloneMolly, we've been mostly looking into santa monica as well it seems to suit us best since we're underage and not as difficult to get accomodation and jobs as well as having a beach :D it's so hard to decide though with all the different experiences!! Is there a date we have to have decided by or anything? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ohhush

Hi! 21 year old here, really strongly considering a J1 but am a bit unsure because I can't seem to get any of my friends to bite on the idea. I've done a lot of solo travel before and loved it but the idea of doing the States totally alone makes me a little anxious for some reason! (I think it's the idea of the accom costs.) I'm still only looking at it, but Santa Monica or San Francisco/Berkeley would be the dream, if anybody is going in a small group and would like another person or could just give me a bit of advice? I'll probably end up doing the camp thing if I don't find a solution quick but I've worked overseas with kids the last four summers and I'd love something a bit different!

(I could also help out those underage of you, haha...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alfrench

Hey,

Myself and 2 friends (all girls aged 21) have flights booked for the end of May to California. Looking to stay around Santa Monica and Venice Beach. Anyone else heading that way? Possibly looking to share accommodation etc! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shannonp14

ohhush wrote: »
    Hi! 21 year old here, really strongly considering a J1 but am a bit unsure because I can't seem to get any of my friends to bite on the idea. I've done a lot of solo travel before and loved it but the idea of doing the States totally alone makes me a little anxious for some reason! (I think it's the idea of the accom costs.) I'm still only looking at it, but Santa Monica or San Francisco/Berkeley would be the dream, if anybody is going in a small group and would like another person or could just give me a bit of advice? I'll probably end up doing the camp thing if I don't find a solution quick but I've worked overseas with kids the last four summers and I'd love something a bit different!

(I could also help out those underage of you, haha...)

Hey, I'm in a similar situation to yourself, finding it difficult to get friends on board. I've always wanted to do a j1, now it's my last chance to do it as I'm in my final year and I want to book everything early. I'm highly considering San Francisco (although anywhere in California would be great), I haven't booked my flights yet but I'm planning to travel over the first week of June and back in early September. I've never travelled solo, but I don't mind the idea of it! If you'd like to team up and house share please get in touch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jwn1

Does anyone have any information on the Berkeley Student Co-op's? I may be heading over alone so I think that this would be the best option for me, rent is not too expensive & it seems pretty easy to apply etc! Has anybody else looked into this? Or stayed in one of the Co-op's before? Any info/advice on them would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PatrickoTheman

Hey there,
    I'm in college right now and I'm going to America to work. I'm going alone and its a big step out of my comfort zone and would love to travel with people. I'm not Irish, I'm from a small country called Latvia. I have not decided on a location or a job, but I am looking into California right now.

Anyways Hit me up on Skype or something and we can chat more!

Thank you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

Well how's things ! Nearly certain I'm heading to San Diego with a group of 4 this summer , anybody been there on a J1? Any advice on jobs and things to do there would be appreciated !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 irishrachel

Hey guys, for those of you travelling solo myself (21) and a friend (20) are heading to san fran on the j1 aswell! were looking for people to team up with for cheaper accommodation :) we'll be there at the very start of june :) were not really fussy were we live, as long as its close or easy to commute for work and that :)

Advertisement