Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2015 California

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 Laurend17

Hi,

I would love to do the J1 this Summer in California too, none of my friends are interested though, so I was thinking of going by myself. I'm 20 so if anyone else is thinking of going themselves let me know :) or even if there are any groups going let me know because I don't really want to do this alone haha! Would be great to hear from others with the same plans.. not sure on where to stay or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Backpack20

Well heading over to San Diego at the start of June , I'm heading with a group but I think there going earlier ! Anyone interested in sharing accommodation gives a pm !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 siobhanmcc1992

Hi we are going to Santa Barbara on a J1 this summer and I was wondering if the irish still have a bad reputation over there ... can anyone who was there in 2014 let me know thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

The reputation of the Irish here over the last few years wasn't great to be honest. There were a lot of wrecked apartments out in Isla Vista.
    Having said that, there was a lot of Irish J1 students around the place last year so maybe a lot of the dust has settled.

I'm Irish and I live in SB.

Also it might be better to have a mod move this to the US thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 siobhanmcc1992

The reputation of the Irish here over the last few years wasn't great to be honest. There were a lot of wrecked apartments out in Isla Vista.
    Having said that, there was a lot of Irish J1 students around the place last year so maybe a lot of the dust has settled.

I'm Irish and I live in SB.

Also it might be better to have a mod move this to the US thread.

Thank you .. do you know of any good places to apply for jobs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

If you're looking for something in SB itself you're best to get your resume and just pound the pavement. There's lots of restaurants in and around State St who'll usually look for table staff. There's probably stuff in Goleta too but really you'll need a car for there.

Depends what you want to do vs what you can do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

If anyone's heading to California, I strong suggest going to Isla Vista. If heaven was real, it would be Isla Vista. It's a student town, so everyone is ~21 and looking to have a bit of craic. Easy enough to find accomadation as the American's are all looking to sublet their apartments while they go home for the summer. I paid $300 rent for the whole summer. :)

Much better nightlife than what I experienced in Huntington and Santa Monica. Although, the concerts on the beach in Santa Monica were brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I went in 2014, it was brilliant, best experience of my life. The American's know it's only a select few of us who act the gob****e. I think they're just a bit baffled as to why so many Irish descend on their small student town. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JayOne2015

Hi,

Heading over to california this summer and was wondering if anyone has any experience of interning with a record label? I'm looking to intern in A&R department or music production. Any help appreciated. Also if anyone is looking to share accomodation in the venice beach/ santa monica area give me a message.

Thanks.

Hi,

Anyone looking to share accomodation for summer 2015 in venice beach/ santa monica area? Message me. Also any info on where is best to stay.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hey,

Looking for people to share accomodation with for summer 2015 in Santa Monica or Venice Beach. Also open to going anywhere within an hour away from the above.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NicoleJ

Hi guys,
    Myself and two other girls are heading to Huntington Beach this summer at the end of May
    We were wondering is anyone else heading there and was looking into accomodation or roommates?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MrShAzZY

I am also thinking of going to Santa Barbara with some friends this summer but I have heard it is very difficult to get jobs there, is this true? Also where would be the best place for accommodation??
    Thanks

Well, anyone have accommodation or jobs sorted i no its kinda early days yet!

Well hows things! I said id set this thread up for people heading to San Diego this summer for people to sort out accommodation and stuff like that. im heading over the 28th of May i don't have work and a place to stay sorted yet tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mike.ryan.1992

Laurend17 wrote: »
    Hi,

I would love to do the J1 this Summer in California too, none of my friends are interested though, so I was thinking of going by myself. I'm 20 so if anyone else is thinking of going themselves let me know :) or even if there are any groups going let me know because I don't really want to do this alone haha! Would be great to hear from others with the same plans.. not sure on where to stay or anything

Hey, Im in the same boat as yourself none of my friends want to go, but im mad to go :( ive nothing booked yet, just at the early stages of organizing it. Has anyone got back to you on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mike.ryan.1992

Hey, im a 22 yr old UL student hoping to go Cali on a J1 this summer but none of my friends are interested! Anyone here on the same boat? Also any groups looking for people to share on accomodation to keep costs down? :)

Me and one or two others are going booking a hostel called banana bungalow hostel in san diego for the first week, we will try and meet others over there to get accom..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NicoleJ

Hey! Me and two other girls are going to huntington at the end of may. Have you decided on a spot yet? We're looking for room mates!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Darby_321

Me and my friends heading to santa barbara aswell, heading over the end of may. Anyone else get their visa with USIT, if so have ye applied for jobs before this embassy interview that has to be done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 sb2812

Hey I'm heading to huntington beach with one other girl at the end of May, we're looking for roommates too, have you sorted anything yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CaoimheB95

Hi I know this is a really old post but I'm heading out to Long Beach this Summer and was wondering if you'd have any contacts out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 N94K

Hi, most likely heading over to San Diego on my own but open to ideas if others are in the same boat heading by themselves. PM if interested in sorting something out, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Luke_MaB

Well guys,

Myself and 5 other lads are heading over to San Diego on the 20th (3 then and other 2 on 28th) May and looking to share accom (hopefully Avalon) with others. Preferably we like to share with girls so that there's a nice gender balance but if there were a couple of girls and guy looking that'd be cool too! PM if anyone is interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kkd256

Hi, myself and a friend are heading to huntington beach on the 4th of June until August. We are 2 20 year old lads and are looking for accomadation but finding it diffucult.

Can anyone who has maybe been there before help us, or if anybody would be intrested in sharing accomadation let us know. We would be hoping to be close the beach but rent prices are a but higher there. A group of people might make it more possible to get a nice place in a good location. Let us know if yere intrested anyway, thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ali4491

Hi! I am heading to San Francisco this August/September on a one year graduate visa. It would be great to have a travel buddy, so if anyone is planning to head over around the same time as myself do get in touch! Also any tips or advice are greatly appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AnBheanRua

Hey :) So my friend and I are heading to Santa Monica on the first of June. We're also finding it really difficult to get accommodation and I was just wondering if anyone had been there before and knew where to look into or else if anyone was going to SM and were looking for roomies!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rdow95

Hi myself and friends are travelling to cali for the j1 this summer and are trying to choose a destination. Preferably looking at somewhere with a beach with plentiful jobs and decent accommodation. Currently stuck between San Diego, Isla Vista and Huntington beach but if anyone has better suggestions, please let me know thanks!

Advertisement