Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do with these monies

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭murphydublin

Maybe a bench somewhere with a beautiful view. So you can sit and chat for a while .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

LauraLynn Children's Hospice

https://lauralynn.ie/

Sometime like this ^

I've been saying to myself for years, if I ever come into money. I'm going to send a particular friend of mine into the children's ward of my local hospital.

Totally redecorate it. Fill it with all the latest toys, game consoles & also buy whatever piece of medical equipment they really need for the sick kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I am sorry to hear this, as we were in a similar situation 6 years ago ths week. Again, 3 good Samaritans, but we got their contact details from the guards I think, not sure how though.

First anniversary, we got them a gift for being kind as family member lay dying n the roadside, and we keep in tch with a Christmas card.

I would use €300 for each of the kind souls, I.e. local childrens charity, buy blankets for a homeless charity and give a local church group money, even to buy flowers, controversial I know but we have to give back.

Then, maybe check out if any social groups are Saving for a defibrillator, put a little towards that, and lastly put something towards helping something that feels right in yourself,

I would not recommend any big charity for the simple reason that you need to keep it local, if you do then you have a good say as to what the money goes on, but if not when making a donation, always stipulate what it goes on, I have experience of this and it's better in this case to keep it local,

Is a journey once the first year and a day are over, it took us maybe 4 years to see the wood for the trees and look after each other,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

My sincere sympathies on the passing of your father
    Solicitors must not be following this thread , judging by the responses. It is surprising how little readers of this thread know about inheritance , wills , debt due , etc
    Is it not the case that the executors of a will are obliged to collect all debts due to the deceased estate and from that pay out what is owed. The will then lays out what is to be done with the net assets re cash and other possessions.
    If there is no will there is another set of regulations to handle the financial situation.
    So no matter what way you ' square the circle. ' I would be of the opinion that the monies you owed to your late father before he died should be paid to his estate. I assume that your late father would , in principal,want all his bills paid and supposing he owes someone the amount that you owe him but there are no assets left to meet this bill except what you owe him , would not therefor be the right thing to pay the monies into his estate
    He may have, in his will, willed all his assets, cash to some charity anyway but the legal route is for you to pay what you owed him to the executors. I am not a legal person so would welcome a legal opinion on above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Very sorry for your loss op especially now. I'm sure your dad would be touched by your gesture.

I know whatever charity you pick will be fine :)

Perhaps a hospice? To help families like yours and people like your father.

Also maybe use a little to do something nice as a family. Drink out or a meal then use the rest to give to a hospice or a charity. If you go for a drink to as well as giving to charity it sort of marks it for him you can talk about him or just be together as a family.
    Hugsxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

You could spend it on hypnotherapy sessions to train you out of using the words "monies." I think that would be money well spent.

Either that or give it to a charity for the homeless. It must be awful being homeless in the middle of winter. Or you could go round buying copies of the big issue, give each seller a fifty and tell them to keep the change. At least then you know the money has gone directly to the needy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Are you just donating the same amount you owed your dad to charity or the entire amount?

Why do you feel the need to give it away at all? I'm broke and could do with a few quid if it's going.

Charity begins at home, look after those closest to you first, not the charities where executives take a bigger cut than actually goes to the people most in need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

First of all, my sympathies on the loss of your dad. I hope you are doing okay, I see that it is just past the first anniversary now.

I would echo some of the suggestions already made about keeping it to a local charity, if possible, or any cause that was meaningful to your dad.

I see BUMBLEance and Jack and Jill mentioned, I'd also add Pieta House, as another one to consider.

Whatever you do, I am sure that the money will be put to good use.
    Look after yourself, Christmas time can be especially tough, when you have lost a loved one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

^^^ Thank You All So Much!

Just back from visiting Dads' graveside and reading these replies is helping me no end.
    Wonderful, Wonderful Minds at play here :)

Hope You All Have A Wonderful Christmas,
    kerry4sam
    Fecking after-hours again and I get carried away. Sh!t.

Sorry my friend, I just zoomed through your first comment without reading it properly.

Yes I am an arsehole with my spluttering fast-tracked comment missing important text. Sorry for your loss kerry4sam

Some-one hit me a slap on the face for being stupid.

Yeah I'm just going to offer you a hug instead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Invest the money into your own soul by travelling some. The money might be your Dads, but he gave it to you once, so I'm sure he'd like to do it again to see you fulfill something that many people can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

kerry4sam wrote: »
    ^^^ Thank You All So Much!
    Just back from visiting Dads' graveside and reading these replies is helping me no end.
    Wonderful, Wonderful Minds at play here :)

Hope You All Have A Wonderful Christmas,
    kerry4sam
    Yeah I'm just going to offer you a hug instead :)
    Happy Christmas. I visited my Da's grave in Shanganagh this morning. It was a lovely morning.
    It is difficult for a long time when you lose a parent. Often when someone offers sympathy your emotions get the better of you.
    My Ma is in a nursing home and I will see her tomorrow.
    My tip is walk to the supermarket and buy a litre of milk. The fight to the checkout will take you mind off things. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Whatever you do, don't just write a cheque to a charity. You know that a sizeable amount will go to the bosses.

Buy 2k worth of stuff and donate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Sponsor a park bench in his name if there's a local park near where he lived- I sat on a sponsored bench in Dalkey overlooking the bay a few weeks ago; great views , I'm sure the family of that person drop by from time to time and sit their thinking of their departed. Nice way to keep his memory alive.

If your Dad liked animals there are some very deserving animal welfare groups . I saw an appeal from one once, they were asking people to buy 1kg tins of dogfood in Lidl or Aldi that were at the time reduced. They said they added a tablespoon of this stuff to the dry food that was given to the dogs in their care as it added flavour and all the dogs loved it.

I thought it amazing how a 69 cent kilo of dogfood could make such a difference to the meal times of so many ownerless dogs, as anyone who has seen a dog eat can testify, they do seem to enjoy their grub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thanks again ^^^

Much Appreciated,
    Augeo wrote: »
    If your Dad liked animals there are some very deserving animal welfare groups . I saw an appeal from one once, they were asking people to buy 1kg tins of dogfood in Lidl or Aldi that were at the time reduced. They said they added a tablespoon of this stuff to the dry food that was given to the dogs in their care as it added flavour and all the dogs loved it.

I thought it amazing how a 69 cent kilo of dogfood could make such a difference to the meal times of so many ownerless dogs, as anyone who has seen a dog eat can testify, they do seem to enjoy their grub.

Dad adored animals Thank You! Always a dog around our Home as we all grew up; at one point cats also if they followed us home; a few hedgehogs & rabbits were known to be seen & looked after also :o Oh patience of a Saint with us and the animals that's just follow us home or arrive on our doorsteps.

Was also thinking of a plaque at a special place in Liscarroll, Mallow - the Donkey Sanctuary - A Walkway Plaque, see here :)

Thank You re: info on dogfood though,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Most irritating post all year.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Most irritating post all year. Speak properly.

Stop being such a cnut.
    For afterhours it's a very decent thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

K4S, I don't know how your dad died. Maybe give it to a charity connected to that.

WHen ever I donate, it's to the local Neo-Natal unit in the hospital. They do great work with sick and premature born babies.

Advertisement