Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Helmet Cam - Adhesive mounting strips

• 23-12-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Hi folks!

The gf has gone and bought me a helmet cam for Christmas. A pretty nifty little one too so happy out!

Just curious about the strength of the '3M' adhesive strips that come with it.

It's a bullet cam and I'm planning on mounting it on the side of the helmet using the curved mount and two of the strips.

Have any of you guys got any experience with the adhesive strips, particularly in the rain? Will they hold up well?

I don't want to be travelling on the motorway only for the shiny new camera to fall off!

Is it a misplaced fear? Are these strips good?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I use the 3M adhesive mount with my drift and it doesn't budge. And I use my cam 5 days a week for the last 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Will be fine. Just give the surface a clean, make sure its pressed on well and leave for a couple of hours before using it. No harm setting up a tether.... Just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Have mine mounted over a year now and its still holding strong. Best use a tether also though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

3M strips that came with my GoPro stick like sh1t to a blanket.

Great things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

As others have said, they will stick to any clean surface, I alway use a tether with mine anyway, which annoys me as it flaps around against the helmet :)

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement

thecivvie wrote: »
    As others have said, they will stick to any clean surface, I alway use a tether with mine anyway, which annoys me as it flaps around against the helmet :)

I actually use fishing line as a tether. I think its over 40lbs breaking strain so it aint going to snap. I feed it through an air vent and back around the camera. No noticeable flapping sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Just check that the adhesive used is safe for helmet use, some shells can be adversely affected by adhesives and paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I actually use fishing line as a tether. I think its over 40lbs breaking strain so it aint going to snap. I feed it through an air vent and back around the camera. No noticeable flapping sounds.

Great idea, must bring a roll with me

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.. Make sure it's clean and dry. If you use a hairdryer to warm the surface to it helps a lot. Proper 3m adhesive strips are what most trim is stuck with on vehicles and it's very strong. ...

We use it for coachwork at work and it's good stuff.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

where can you buy similar 3m strips? Any shops in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If its 3M they are the bizzo no probs what so ever!

Zipppy wrote: »
    where can you buy similar 3m strips? Any shops in Dublin?

Am sure woodies or other diy stores will do them, probably need to cut them to size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 citroman

I bought one of these types of camera recently, but I would never dream of fitting it to the side of my helmet with adhesive backing pads.

Most of these pads are very effective, and my worry is what would happen if I fell off the bike and the helmet came into contact with the ground or branches in a hedge.

The protruding camera or even the plastic lump stuck on the side of the helmet could catch something and give the helmet a sudden twist that would do ones neck no good at all!!

If I touch down for a slide, I want a shiny and smooth helmet to be able to slide with minimal damage to me.

I've seen plenty of post crash helmets with quite spectacular areas of the helmet ground off.

However, to each their own practice, just one of my little precautions.

Citroman

citroman wrote: »
    I bought one of these types of camera recently, but I would never dream of fitting it to the side of my helmet with adhesive backing pads.

Most of these pads are very effective, and my worry is what would happen if I fell off the bike and the helmet came into contact with the ground or branches in a hedge.

The protruding camera or even the plastic lump stuck on the side of the helmet could catch something and give the helmet a sudden twist that would do ones neck no good at all!!

If I touch down for a slide, I want a shiny and smooth helmet to be able to slide with minimal damage to me.

I've seen plenty of post crash helmets with quite spectacular areas of the helmet ground off.

However, to each their own practice, just one of my little precautions.

Citroman

IMO these mounts and adhesive pads are great for keeping the cam in place against wind resistance but I couldnt see them staying in place with a sudden impact with a solid object. To be more specific im talking about a sideways impact where the cam would break off. I suppose it all boils down to how far you take motorcycle safety. There are so many what if's you may as well hang up the keys altogether:o

I have mine mounted on the mirror stalk with a clamp mount but it was to keep the clocks out of the image. Another option would be mounting on the screen with the adhesive mount.

I'm sure that the first thing to go would be one of the hinges or the adhesive if there was an impact. The tether would then stop it disappearing down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

IMO these mounts and adhesive pads are great for keeping the cam in place against wind resistance but I couldnt see them staying in place with a sudden impact with a solid object. To be more specific im talking about a sideways impact where the cam would break off. I suppose it all boils down to how far you take motorcycle safety. There are so many what if's you may as well hang up the keys altogether:o

Sure, if you hang up the keys you would have to take the bus.
    Although, I heard that the bus already has cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Where on the helmet do you guys with GoPros mount em? I have one I've been meaning to mount for a while.

Have it front and centre on my ski helmet but to not block the visor on the bike helmet it'd have to be at the very top which would stick out a lot, I guess other option is the side which would also stick out a lot and require more pivot arms to get the right angle. Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

M450 wrote: »
    Where on the helmet do you guys with GoPros mount em? I have one I've been meaning to mount for a while.

Have it front and centre on my ski helmet but to not block the visor on the bike helmet it'd have to be at the very top which would stick out a lot, I guess other option is the side which would also stick out a lot and require more pivot arms to get the right angle. Hmmm

i have one stuck on the GF's Helmet on the curve just above her left ear. gets a great shot and holds strong at any speed i would bet on the plastic arms breaking before the adhesive.

she got me a suction cup mount for the Go Pro im definetley going to tether that for a while until i trust it. anyone ever use one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Pretty sure wonda had his gopro on a suction cup mount when the camera hit the deck and exploded into pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

goodlad wrote: »
    Pretty sure wonda had his gopro on a suction cup mount when the camera hit the deck and exploded into pieces.

If he only had a tether.... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I use 3m tape that I bought off ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-Quality-8pcs-Flat-Curved-Mount-3M-Adhesive-Sticky-For-Gopro-Hero-3-3-4-OS86-/141268618835?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20e4440e53

I can attest for it being safe in accidents. My GoPro mount snapped when I came off. But adding anything extra on helmet probably does reduce the safety of it.

I've had my camera pop off the suction cup 3 times in a week. I don't trust them anymore. They require a very flat surface like a door panel to attach to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

well, here's what a suction cup on a bike turned a GoPro I had into..........

333736.jpg

moral of the story ?? Tether. Always.

And, self-adhesive strips are better than suction cups.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

If you come off the bike, the camera detaching from your helmet as you smack the ground should be the least of your problems.

Having said that, get an alcohol wipe to clean the surface you're attaching it to first. 3M are the league leaders in this stuff. Safe for helmets. Don't go and use a solvent based glue, whatever you do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mine is attached as below.

Firstly clean the area with alcohol strips. I then actually cut the go pro mount down by about 5 mm on both ends so it would fit better onto the flatter section on front of helmet. I pressed it home and left over night (without touching it) this is to allow to set. Do not put camera near it until the next day.

I also took one of the circular tether lines i have and fixed that inside the helmet behind one of the cheek shields. and the thin rope runs up under the neck wind guard to the back of the camera. For safety to prevent an incident like above.

Its safe as houses right now.

Position i chose because of these reasons
    1) there if barely any wind resistance there so helmet fees the same
    2) weight feels balance so i dont notice a difference
    3) the mic with open back door of camera works perfectly i dont require any external mics. can hear me loud and clear
    4) it follows my vision direction with no issues.

IMG_20150104_203159380_zpsx5vko3qn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Does it not keep "taking your eye" so to speak? never seen one mounted like that, may have to give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

That looks mental alrite! I couldn't imagine it not affecting your vision looking down at the dash but great points on the wind resistance and balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Camera is not anywhere in field of vision. If it was I wouldnt mount it there.

So no its perfect for all the reasons I noted above. Should give it a crack you forget it's there completely

Advertisement