Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father seeking solicitor recommendation

Options
  • 23-12-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have a 7 year old child with an ex. We have never been married, and separated when the child was 4 months old as she left to pursue another relationship.

Since then, the child has lived with me full time, and I have been responsible for his schooling and childminding. With regards to the child seeing his mam, we have never had a legal agreement, but have tried to work around her full time career with regards access. During this period she has been quite difficult. I am now married (to another woman) & have another child & her constant intrusion has become an issue.

At this point I feel I have no choice but to seek a legal custody agreement as I have asked her to minimize contact between us, and she has refused.

I am based in the Dublin area, & would like to ask if anyone could recommend a good solicitor who will help me with this matter.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thaidad

I have a 7 year old child with an ex. We have never been married, and separated when the child was 4 months old as she left to pursue another relationship.

Since then, the child has lived with me full time, and I have been responsible for his schooling and childminding. With regards to the child seeing his mam, we have never had a legal agreement, but have tried to work around her full time career with regards access. During this period she has been quite difficult. I am now married (to another woman) & have another child & her constant intrusion has become an issue.

At this point I feel I have no choice but to seek a legal custody agreement as I have asked her to minimize contact between us, and she has refused.

I am based in the Dublin area, & would like to ask if anyone could recommend a good solicitor who will help me with this matter.

Many thanks.

Good luck you will need there is a high chance you will lose custody altogether and mom will get the kid with you paying maintenance even though she has been gone for 7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

As above, I would tread very carefully with this one. Unmarried fathers have little to no rights in this country, and you might be walking yourself into a situation which could result in the exact opposite of what you want.

But good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 helpfulpartner

daRobot wrote: »
    As above, I would tread very carefully with this one. Unmarried fathers have little to no rights in this country, and you might be walking yourself into a situation which could result in the exact opposite of what you want.

But good luck.

I think your all being a little negative... Yes in most cases the mother is made primary carer but that is often where the father is not living with the mother or has moved out and the child has stayed with the father. If im reading the op correctly he has been the primary carer for the last 7 years. The court would not remove him has primary carer as that is not in the best interests of the child. They are however likely to award additional access to the mother...again tgat depends on circumstances.

I would think you need a solid agreement in place. Your not or where not married? So your not the legal guardian unless you have this in place.

I think main thing here is what is in the best interests of the child. Regardless of what she did to you or the fact she abandoned her child she is still the child's mother, maybe not in her actions, but she is. So whether you want to deal with her or not your going to have to.

You could try mediating an agreement? And of uou don't want to deal with her directly arrange pick up/drop off to a relative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Contact these Free Mediation services IMMEDIATELY before things get worse: http://www.legalaidboard.ie/lab/publishing.nsf/content/Family_Mediation_Service_Contact_us

Advertisement