Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choice dilemma

• 23-12-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

So I have to pick my subjects in January and it's starting to sink in. I've narrowed it down between 4/5 subjects.
    Art: I got an A in Art in the JC and I did really enjoy it but I wonder if I'm good enough to get such a mark in the leaving? Do you have to be amazing just to do well?
    Chemistry: I'm really interested in Chemistry and I got an A in JC science but is it a long course and would it grow boring after a while?
    Biology: I have an interest in biology but I fear that the course is very long and from what the fifth years say its hard enough but I'm pretty good at regurgitating facts and such so I think I'd like it.
    Economics: We've done a bit of this in school and I'm mainly interested in this because apparently it's a short, easy course.
    Accounting: I like the idea but do you have to be very fast at the calculations to complete the test because I kinda get distracted and am a perfectionist so I won't put anything down unless I feel it's perfect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

In my opinion Chemistry is very different (and a lot more difficult) to JC Science so I wouldn't pick it purely based on results at JC level, but if you have an large interest in the subject then I would say go ahead. I think it's pretty much average in terms of course length. As with all subjects there's a couple of segments of the course that will bore the socks off you but there's also parts that are very interesting, so it really depends on the individual student whether it's a boring course or not.
    The course for Biology is very long but you should get it finished in time. Biology is basically a more in-depth look at the JC topics. I find it very easy as the information is mostly straightforward and easily comprehendible, so it's mostly just learning off facts. You said that you're good at regurgitating facts so you would probably find it easy too.
    Economics is a very short course, however I definitely would not call it easy, there are several topics that are quite in-depth and take a while to get your head around. The examiners require very specific answers, so there's no room for waffle and there's a lot of rote learning involved. I also feel that it would get boring very quickly if you're not specifically interested in the subject.
    I don't do Art or Accounting so I can't give feedback on those

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

Well another reason I am thinking of Chemistry is because it is a requirement for most science based courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Oisin4 wrote: »
    Well another reason I am thinking of Chemistry is because it is a requirement for most science based courses

That's one of the reasons why I'm doing it, I want to keep my options open and it's a very useful subject

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The best way to choose is to choose subjects you like, regardless of how hard or easy they are perceived to be.
    If you don't have a clear idea of what you want career-wise, it's useful to keep a science, a business-related subject, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi - here's my opinion on the subjects listed.

Art: I do art for the Leaving Cert and if you are aiming for very high points, avoid! The exam itself is ok but the way its marked is where the fault is. It is an interesting and different subject and undoubtably the most therapeutic for me this year.
    Chemistry: If you enjoy science I would thoroughly recommend chemistry. It will however require you to be very exact with definitions, wording of answers etc but the papers are quite similar each year. The A rate is very good but if you dislike science steer clear!
    Biology: As you mentioned, biology is a very broad course. I think that the papers have also become more challenging over the past few years and requires students to think outside the box in many ways. There is a lot of rote learning involved however I enjoy the subject.
    Economics: I dont personally do economics however if you aspire to study commerce or business related course, this would be a handy subject to have. From what I've read the course is fairly short however it too has become challenging with papers becoming like biology whereby students are required to think outside the box.
    Accounting: If you're savvy with numbers, a definite subject for you to consider. The format is mainly the same each year and if you know the formulas/layout of accounts/format you should easily pass. However as you I'm sure are aware accountancy is not everyones cup of tea.

Best of luck! Choose what you enjoy - that's what's most important :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

Biology is the easiest A1 you will ever get. Chemistry is very repetitive year on year. Work hard in chemistry and an A is guaranteed as there is a lot of rote learning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Biology is the easiest A1 you will ever get. Chemistry is very repetitive year on year. Work hard in chemistry and an A is guaranteed as there is a lot of rote learning

This. Rote learning pays in Chemistry, including learning off how to do the calculations. However, the examiners try to put kinks and twists in the questions which can often feel distressing when you don't get it (it's often not directly in my textbook). These most commonly appear in the form "why was x added instead of Y" or "what would you expect to happen if X was added instead of Y", which is designed to catch out the rote learners, and reward the people who have achieved the god-like state of truly understanding Chemistry (I don't).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

Accounting is quiet tricky for time! Even in our Christmas tests we were given exam questions with exam similar timing and only 2 people out of the 11 in our class got it finished but in saying that it seems to be easy enough to get an A1 if your good at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

Accounting is quiet tricky for time! Even in our Christmas tests we were given exam questions with exam similar timing and only 2 people out of the 11 in our class got it finished but in saying that it seems to be easy enough to get an A1 if your good at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Accounting is an easy A in my opinion once you put the work in, it is a struggle for time in the exam but if you time yourself when doing homework questions and when studying you'll get used to it quick enough. I loved accounting because it doesn't involve learning pages and pages of information it's more about practicing a method. The questions are very repetitive and once you practice them enough it's easy

• Advertisement
Advertisement