Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Sticky - Help Thread

Options
  • 23-12-2014 11:21pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just had a thought. I've seen quite a few threads on how best to gain experience, get a job, languages to learn and additional skills that would be useful. Why not put in place a sticky that should answer most questions, while offering advice and the thread could be added to offer time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Itzy wrote: »
    Why not put in place a sticky that should answer most questions, while offering advice and the thread could be added to offer time.
    Because most people won't read it and will instead continue to post as they do. It would probably be a very long post or thread to cover most questions also. Its possible it could create extra work for somebody to maintain as overtime some of the information contained within could become outdated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Should be a fairly easy FAQ and would cover about half of the recent posts.

Am I underpaid?
    Am I entitled to a pay rise?
    What can I expect to get paid when I graduate?
    What languages pay the most?
    What's the best way to learn the languages that pay the most?
    Masters degree or work experience?
    How do I get work experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Graham wrote: »
    Should be a fairly easy FAQ and would cover about half of the recent posts.

Am I underpaid?
    Am I entitled to a pay rise?
    What can I expect to get paid when I graduate?
    What languages pay the most?
    What's the best way to learn the languages that pay the most?
    Masters degree or work experience?
    How do I get work experience?

Most of those change over time and are matters of opinion. The first 2 can always be answered by "yes".

A sticky thread is a waste tbh - too much overhead to maintain, hard to find relevant information unless it is only a handful of posts.

Also, if you force questions in there, I think you'll find that there won't be many new threads being created at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Most of those change over time and are matters of opinion. The first 2 can always be answered by "yes".

A sticky thread is a waste tbh - too much overhead to maintain, hard to find relevant information unless it is only a handful of posts.

Also, if you force questions in there, I think you'll find that there won't be many new threads being created at all.

Strange - I would have answered 'no' to the first two. I guess it's just a matter of opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

UCDVet wrote: »
    Strange - I would have answered 'no' to the first two. I guess it's just a matter of opinion

Just a different outlook I suppose. I always want more.

Guess it goes to prove my point - a lot of the questions given as examples as candidates for an FAQ are opinion based, and some can be very context-dependent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement