Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

childminder rate

Options
  • 24-12-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this the right place. If not could a mod move.

I am wondering what is the going rate for a childminder these days to mind a child from 6.30am to 5.30 PM. It is only for two days a week. Mainly galway county.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

A creche charges 40/day. Based on that, and the fact that it's in your own home and a long day/early start and assuming it's cash in hand I'd be expecting 60/70 per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

[Cunning Linguist;93560026"]A creche charges 40/day. Based on that, and the fact that it's in your own home and a long day/early start and assuming it's cash in hand I'd be expecting 60/70 per day.[/quote]

A childminder minds kids in the Minder's own home. If it's in the kids home they are a nanny/domestic employee and can't be paid cash in hand.
    Assuming this is a genuine childminder type situation then the minder can still manage their home, look after their own family etc so you would expect to pay them less than a creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭cena

I'm only asking for a friend of the family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I've heard standard hours ie. 9-5 are usually about 5 euro an hour. Hey would probably charge a little more for the early start, maybe 8 an hour?

So first 2 hours = 16
    Then 8.30 -5.30. = 9x5 =45

Total 60 ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭cena

I don't know of this makes a difference but it is a 5 month old child

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is a very long day so I think 60 would be fair . I would expect someone registered and insured .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thaidad

I've heard standard hours ie. 9-5 are usually about 5 euro an hour. Hey would probably charge a little more for the early start, maybe 8 an hour?

So first 2 hours = 16

Total 60 ish?

For a proper qualified person they charge 10-15 an hour, if you want to leave your baby with an unqualified cash in hand person go ahead to save so bucks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is untrue.
    There is no qualification to become a childminder but many of them have years of experience with children.
    There is really no excuse for a childminders with small businesses to work on a cash in hand basis for regular full time childminding as they can earn 15k a year PAYE free and just pay a fixed amount of PRSI .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So first 2 hours = 16

Total 60 ish?
    That would be illegal as they need to receive at least minimum wage.
    If you can find someone to mind the child in their home they can earn upto €15,000 tax free in a year. Our creche is around €50 per day but bear in mind the minder is looking after three babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That would be illegal as they need to receive at least minimum wage.
    If you can find someone to mind the child in their home they can earn upto €15,000 tax free in a year. Our creche is around €50 per day but bear in mind the minder is looking after three babies.

Minimum wage only applies if you are getting the minder to mind them in your home. In that case they are domestic employees and you are meant to pay PAYE and PRSI for them, pay them min wage etc. All the rules of being an employer apply.

A minder who minds in their own home is running their own business so can charge what they like really. They should be registered themselves for PAYE and PRSI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

If say 10 an hour is fair.ignore what the creche are asking for per day they charge per child its a working adult hopefully a professional doing a full days work 5 An hour is ridiculous IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Rachiee wrote: »
    If say 10 an hour is fair.ignore what the creche are asking for per day they charge per child its a working adult hopefully a professional doing a full days work 5 An hour is ridiculous IMHO.

A minder can mind more than one child. If they have 4 or 5 children in their care, charging 5e per hour per child brings up their income.

My aunt works as a childminder and will only take one child per family as she earns far more that way that taking 4 children from the same family.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

i get 8e per hour..two lovely kids in galway.

Advertisement