Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

search and rescue out again last night

• 24-12-2014 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what happened last night? rescue helicopter over the river and and marine search and resue at rowing club ramp,ambulance also there,was someone rescued,,hopefully they were.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2014/12/23/emergency-operation-launched-at-river-shannon/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
    A FULL scale emergency operation was launched this Tuesday night following reports of a male seen entering the River Shannon at Sarsfield Bridge.

Three tenders from Limerick City fire and rescue service were scrambled to the quays and the newly commissioned jet boat was launched at Steamboat Quay within three minutes of the alarm being raised at 9pm.

The Shannon based Rescue 115 coast guard helicopter was also deployed to the skies over the river to assist the operation while Gardai and emergency medical paramedics were also in attendance.

It has since emerged that a male was seen entering the water and the operation lasted just over an hour after the alarm was raised.

Gardai and the emergency response services have since been stood down and now a search operation has been enacted but Gardai say that they are continuing their investigations into the matter.

Limerick Marine Search and Rescue also attended with two search boats and swift water technicians and are currently conducting dive operations in the area.

Searches are continuing this Christmas Eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Helicopter has been hovering over the river near the power station and also out by Clonlara for the past hour. Just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Are there any statistics as to how many lives are taken by the Shannon through Limerick? The helicopter is out a good few times every single week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

very rare it ever hits news, there seem to be so many.

many thanks to those that volunteer. never here them complain or go on strike, and their efforts are often over looked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've very lucky to be friends with some of the heroes who work there, they don't deal in statistics, they deal in people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Sorry, I didn't mean to appear to be converting people to statistics, I'm not, but I think that statistics can be important to get a sense of the scale of the problem in Limerick and increasing awareness beyond those who are directly affected. I too appreciate the work of the volunteers and the helicopter crews that I hear nearly every time I'm on the Coonagh and Shannon Information frequencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kernow

I am not a regular poster on boards But I am a volunteer myself for one the local search teams unfortunately this time of the year is a busy time for us. I shall be giving up my time in the morning to go out on a search for the missing persons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Clareman wrote: »
    I've very lucky to be friends with some of the heroes who work there, they don't deal in statistics, they deal in people.

It's important to compile statistics all the same if we're to effectively deal with the problem.

Advertisement