Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Areas in Swords

• 24-12-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi Guys,

I am considering looking at some houses on this estate, just wondering what the area is like ? Seems like it's pretty convenience with 41c, supervalu and the village isn't far away. But what's the neighborhood like ? I've heard people say that a lot of estates have been built in swords resulting in a lot of bored teenagers hanging around etc etc. Looking around the area I didn't get that kind of vibe at all though. Aside from the neighbors, what's the area like for crime etc ? Also heard that there is an unofficial halting site in Forest Road. Just wondering where it is exactly?

Thanks in advance :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

I live in Rivervalley so can't advise directly about Ridgewood. My daughter has lots of friends there, seems to a lovely place. I'm constantly dropping off and picking up and can't say I've ever seen gangs of teenagers hanging around. I think in any area, no matter where, you're going to have some teens hanging around. As a mother of two teens I havent heard of any trouble locally.

I know there's a halting site at the back of the airport but none on the Forest Rd.

Swords in general is a nice place to live. In my opinion anyway. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 islandrabbit

I live in Rivervalley so can't advise directly about Ridgewood. My daughter has lots of friends there, seems to a lovely place. I'm constantly dropping off and picking up and can't say I've ever seen gangs of teenagers hanging around. I think in any area, no matter where, you're going to have some teens hanging around. As a mother of two teens I havent heard of any trouble locally.

I know there's a halting site at the back of the airport but none on the Forest Rd.

Swords in general is a nice place to live. In my opinion anyway. Good luck.

Thanks very much

Hi Guys,

Any opinions on this area in terms of noise level as it is quite close to Dublin Airport?

Thanks...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I live in Rivervalley which is beside Ridgewood, and the noise from the airport is absolutely minimal in this direction. An odd time you'll hear them testing a plane's engine but that's all.
    When we moved here in the early 80s they hadn't built the new runway so there was quite a bit of noise, but we don't hear planes taking off at all now. And we're not in a flight path either.

I live in Rivervalley which is beside Ridgewood, and the noise from the airport is absolutely minimal in this direction. An odd time you'll hear them testing a plane's engine but that's all.
    When we moved here in the early 80s they hadn't built the new runway so there was quite a bit of noise, but we don't hear planes taking off at all now. And we're not in a flight path either.

Thanks for that...

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Hi
    I have just seen a lovely house for sale in St. Cronans View, Swords. Does anyone here live there or know what the area is like? Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It used to be a really nice area and to be honest, still has lovely people and has quite a community feel to it, but there's some pretty bad seeds around as well. A guy got shot in St Cronan's a few years ago and a lot of people have been cagey about it since. If you've found a nice house there though, I would say go for it. The good definitely outweighs the bad.

It used to be a really nice area and to be honest, still has lovely people and has quite a community feel to it, but there's some pretty bad seeds around as well. A guy got shot in St Cronan's a few years ago and a lot of people have been cagey about it since. If you've found a nice house there though, I would say go for it. The good definitely outweighs the bad.

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jack1000

It's definitely not the best estate in swords by any standard. Every so often there is anti social problems.

Actually viewed an apartment in Cedar Square Ridgewood this afternoon where I could see planes taking off every 10 minutes towards northwest. Thought planes should take off towards west if using the new runway. Just wondering what were the reasons for this? Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sidcon

Actually viewed an apartment in Cedar Square Ridgewood this afternoon where I could see planes taking off every 10 minutes towards northwest. Thought planes should take off towards west if using the new runway. Just wondering what were the reasons for this? Thanks...

During a northerly wind direction with winds in excess of crosswind limits for 28/10 they'll switch to runway 34. It's rare but then again high winds have happened a lot over the last 2 months.

sidcon wrote: »
    During a northerly wind direction with winds in excess of crosswind limits for 28/10 they'll switch to runway 34. It's rare but then again high winds have happened a lot over the last 2 months.

This makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot...

Hi
    I have just seen one lovely apartment for sale in this development in Swords. Does anyone here live there or know what the area is like? Thanks in advance...

Hi
    I have just seen a lovely apartment for sale in this development in Swords. Does anyone here live there or know if the apartments have pyrite issues? Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,785 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Multiple threads on areas in Swords merged.

OP - Please add any further queries that you have to this thread & do not start another.

tHB

Hi Guys,

Just saw just seen a lovely house for sale Cianlea, Swords. Does anyone here live there or know what the area is like? Thanks in advance...

Hi,

Thinking in moving to Swords. Cianlea estate. I am wondering... anyone living over there?

How is it?

Looks fine after being there few times but I want to double check.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 daniaday

Hi! We are planning to buy a house in Swords. Can anyone advice on the reputation of the following estates: Lios Cian, Ridgewood, Boroimhe, Boru Court and Holywell. We are looking for a quiet and clean area, not really interested in pubs and night activities. Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Not heard of anything in there-if your apartment is not on the ground floor you have nothing to worry about even if there is Pyrite. It might affect common areas on ground floor if you do buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

daniaday wrote: »
    Hi! We are planning to buy a house in Swords. Can anyone advice on the reputation of the following estates: Lios Cian, Ridgewood, Boroimhe, Boru Court and Holywell. We are looking for a quiet and clean area, not really interested in pubs and night activities. Thanks a mill!

Holywell were very poorly built-I did snagging on them when they were new and they were presented in a dreadful state-I actually gave up snagging them after a while as it took so long to snag them and the builder didn't bother to fix half the stuff anyway. Timber framed if I recall properly.

Typical omissions were the flues for the gas fires exiting into the loft space rather than out through the roof. Gaps at the top of the party walls, no covers on water tanks, loft insulation missing.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I wouldn't buy in Holywell, it's a bit far out plus the finishing wasn't the greatest at the time, they were built in the boom. I've lived in Boroimhe I wouldn't buy there, the duplexes especially haven't got the best sound proofing.
    I don't know much about Lios Cian, I live close enough to it though, depends how far into the estate it is if you're going to be using the bus, it is good in respect its close to the start of the bus routes if you are using them, plus it's within easy walking distance to JCs.

Hi,

Thinking in moving to Swords. Cianlea estate. I am wondering... anyone living over there?

How is it?

Looks fine after being there few times but I want to double check.

Thanks

Anybody got any opinions on this estate? Thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

It's besid louis cian, so area wise it's grand for buses, close enough to walk to JCs but a nice distance from the traffic of the village. Plus you can bypass the village and got the back roads to get to m50 etc. I've no knowledge of the actual estate, but again I live close to it and the general area is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dagonza

Hi Guys,

Just saw just seen a lovely house for sale Cianlea, Swords. Does anyone here live there or know what the area is like? Thanks in advance...

I live in Cianlea since December. Any questions, ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 twittermad

Hey,

Just in response to buying St. Cronans Estate, Swords. I would disagree with the previous comment. Bad things are happening in all areas including the richest estates in Ireland. Incidents are happening everywhere and that last one as mentioned was years ago and is nothing in comparison to what is going on elsewhere around Dublin/Ireland. I bought my house 4 years ago in St. Cronans and I have never had any problems at all. We don't hear or see any anti-social behaviour and our kids have made loads of friends. Our neighbours really friendly and we have never had an issues with anyone. Most of the people living in the area now are mostly elderly people. It is a really settled estate as most people are living there 20/30 years. There is now a lovely crèche which is now perfect for dropping off one of my children and then I just have to walk 2 minutes to the local school so its perfect. It may have been a bit noisy about 20 years ago but a lot of the homes are now bought out privately so its now very quiet and absolutely fine area to live in swords. I also have to add that the bus routes beside St. Cronans are perfect for commuting as the Swords Express goes bye it at 2 stops outside the estate and the 41x and 41 goes by also. It now only takes 35 minutes to get into town. So I would recommend it to families and also people who are commuting. My kids love the local school and so handy being minutes away. Swords is a popular place to live and now that the new commuter bus routes will be coming in I think St. Cronan's is absolutely worth considering. I can honestly say that no one bothers anyone in the estates and im very happy since I move there.

best of luck with buying your house.

Hi Guys,

It would be much appreciated if anyone knows if the roads and services of Cedar Lawn Ridgewood Swords are taken over by local authorities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,785 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merged. See note in Post 16.

tHB

Hi Guys,

It would be much appreciated if anyone knows if the roads and services of Cedar Lawn Ridgewood Swords are taken over by local authorities?

Got a confirmation that the roads and services of Cedar Lawn Ridgewood are not managed by Fingal County Council.

So just wondering who is managing them. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

HI,
    Planning to buy a house in ridgewood. Just worried about the schools nearby, are there any schools within walkable distance? is swords express bus stop nearby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

kevincool wrote: »
    HI,
    Planning to buy a house in ridgewood. Just worried about the schools nearby, are there any schools within walkable distance? is swords express bus stop nearby?

Schools are very close, but getting a place in them is a problem.

Swords express bus stop through Rivervalley is ok, but more of a walk to Baroimhe - depending on where you are in ridgewood, it could be a 20 minute walk

Advertisement