Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite game of 2014?

Options
  • 24-12-2014 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don't think there's any releases due for the PS systems between now and NYE, so.. what's been your favourite PS game (PS4/PS3/PSP) this year?

Hard to narrow it down for me, but I have to go with Alien Isolation. Not a perfect game by any means, but it's been a few years since a game has sucked me into it's world like AI did. Fantastic graphics, originality and the ability to make a seemingly limited experience have a lot of depth and playable time really sold it for me, plus it just has so many different facets of gameplay. Top quality game that makes you really feel apart of the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

For me it was definitely Wolfenstein.
    The gaming was just really well balanced (until the near final stages), progression was great and the easter egg mini was great fun.

Beyond that I loved Dishonored on the PS3, know its not a 2014 game but only played it this year, hope it or a sequel gets ported to the PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Wolfenstein / Tearaway and FC4.

Driveclub was a complete turd and a massive letdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

For me it's been between Wolfenstein and Alien Isolation. Really enjoyed both and didn't expect them to with last entry of each IP not being great at all.

I have yet to play Dragon Age 3 though, it's a present to myself under the tree. That could be up there too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Probably FC4 I cant think of anything else that I really liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Either Darks Souls II or Dragon Age Inquisition for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is Wolfenstein that good? Thought it'd just be another FPS. Must pick it up if I can get it at the right price.

Probably FC4 I cant think of anything else that I really liked.

Just playing that now. Really fun, although for some reason not enjoying it as much as FC1 and 2... maybe because at the time those really were groundbreaking. I do love the scale, and I love the randomness of the world, but I feel the new landscape doesn't lend itself well to the engine.. I miss letting the dynamics of barrels rolling down hills to blow up a campsite etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

.ak wrote: »
    Is Wolfenstein that good? Thought it'd just be another FPS. Must pick it up if I can get it at the right price.

It's not game of the year good but it's far better than it has any right to be. Definitely one to pick up if you get a good price and want a good shooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The Last of Us on PS4 for me because I didn't get to play it the first time out. Ditto GTA V. :o

Failing that though, Alien Isolation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hohokum, most definitely. It's the little game that could, a beautiful, subversive and imaginative experiment that breaks all the rules and creates a mood, style and experience all of its own. It's full of character and humour, melancholy and joy. The puzzle and level design is ingenious, with stories and solutions emerging in a delightfully casual, organic way. Each area feels new and unique - you'll go from helping out at a wedding party to taking part in bizarre scientific experiments. It's bravely minimalist in many respects, but also overflowing with colour and life. The soundtrack is ****ing fantastic, and I still listen to it a few times a week. It's a game that pushes the boundaries of gaming, but does so in a fun-loving and totally unpretentious way. It is, simply put, remarkable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ac unity is up there too, great game

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not game of the year good but it's far better than it has any right to be. Definitely one to pick up if you get a good price and want a good shooter.
    Saw it 2nd hand in xtravision for 20...

Hohokum, most definitely. It's the little game that could, a beautiful, subversive and imaginative experiment that breaks all the rules and creates a mood, style and experience all of its own. It's full of character and humour, melancholy and joy. The puzzle and level design is ingenious, with stories and solutions emerging in a delightfully casual, organic way. Each area feels new and unique - you'll go from helping out at a wedding party to taking part in bizarre scientific experiments. It's bravely minimalist in many respects, but also overflowing with colour and life. The soundtrack is ****ing fantastic, and I still listen to it a few times a week. It's a game that pushes the boundaries of gaming, but does so in a fun-loving and totally unpretentious way. It is, simply put, remarkable.

Dunno how I missed that... Looks right up my alley! Will give it a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

.ak wrote: »
    Dunno how I missed that... Looks right up my alley! Will give it a go.

If I encourage one person to play it, my job here is done :) *closes account, slinks off into night even though it's during the day*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Taltos wrote: »
    Saw it 2nd hand in xtravision for 20...

Well worth it at that price. Great old skool style shooter brought into the modern age. No multiplayer at all but it's much better for it as all the effort went into the single player experience. Good looking game, fast smooth, 60fps all the way with no slowdown and very good shooting mechanics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Destiny for me. Despite the flawed story, the shooting mechanics and co-op missions keep you coming back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Even though it was released June 23, 2013 ive only gotten into Hotline Miami in the last month , i will be first to play the sequel in 2015.

Advertisement