Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extend LED Strip from 5m to 10m

Options
  • 24-12-2014 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a 5m rgb LED strip 72w - 6A. I got a separate power supply 12V 6A, all working ok I was thinking about adding another 5m, I know I will need to replace the power supply , I assume I need to get another power supply that's 12V 12A? But I'm finding hard to find 12A at a good price cheapest are $40 on aliexpress.

My questions are

Can I just connect another strip to the end of my existing strip?
    Can the new strip have lower wattage than the 72w on the strip I already have, So the new power supply can be 10A?

Short url to item i got on DX http://url.ie/x8jb

Any help, guidance or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

nava wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm finding hard to find 12A at a good price cheapest are $40 on aliexpress.

That's an okay price for cheapo Chinese traffos.
    Can I just connect another strip to the end of my existing strip?

Depends on what the LED driver can handle and the number of LEDS on the strip (spacing).

If you are just running them at a hot 12v with no driver on a fixed colour then it's easier...just measure your current load and calculate the Watts.

Usually the drivers are rated for 5m-6m but I've seen some strips with LED spacing of an inch and a half and others a half inch.
    Can the new strip have lower wattage than the 72w on the strip I already have, So the new power supply can be 10A?

Yes if you only use some colours or colours at low power. 10m red is the same as 5m Magenta in terms of power use.

Or just get a different brand of strip with a lower rating.

Ideally you'd have a PSU running @ <80% max. load (especially on an aliexpress special) and one driver per 5 metres or no driver with a single colour hard-wired.

Advertisement