Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Galway - Tips?

Options
  • 24-12-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey guys! 30 year old American girl here, traveling by myself to Ireland in February. I'm planning to spend a few days in Galway, and I'm looking for any tips or advice on things in and around the city. What to do, what to avoid, etc. I'm planning to do a day trip down to the cliffs, and one up to Connemara, but for all of my evenings, and an extra day or two, I'll be in Galway. I'm pretty laid back - more jeans and sneakers than dresses and heels, prefer pubs to clubs, and I love live music and bookstores.

Thanks in advance!! And I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Leave a few hours aside to appreciate award winning www.charliebyrne.com bookshop and not too far away is www.roisindubh.net where laidbackness is part of the door policy
    get in a walk to Salthill. Best urban coastal walk in Ireland.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Sorry for thread hijacking but is there any lists of events etc on in the city? My gf is visiting in Jan and I would like to know if there are any tours/action/events/gigs/comedy and all that jazz on in the next 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Get yourself over to arann islands, if your interested Yeats tower beside Gort ao Coole park Lady Gregory home is round Gort great to visit coming back from the cliffs you can still see and feel where their inspiration came from

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

kokiyou wrote: »
    Sorry for thread hijacking but is there any lists of events etc on in the city? My gf is visiting in Jan and I would like to know if there are any tours/action/events/gigs/comedy and all that jazz on in the next 3 weeks?

Get your hands on the Craic magazine. It has an internet version. I can't remember what they call it but I presume it's searchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Get your hands on the Craic magazine. It has an internet version. I can't remember what they call it but I presume it's searchable.

Thank you I'll check it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hey guys! 30 year old American girl here, traveling by myself to Ireland in February. I'm planning to spend a few days in Galway, and I'm looking for any tips or advice on things in and around the city. What to do, what to avoid, etc. I'm planning to do a day trip down to the cliffs, and one up to Connemara, but for all of my evenings, and an extra day or two, I'll be in Galway. I'm pretty laid back - more jeans and sneakers than dresses and heels, prefer pubs to clubs, and I love live music and bookstores.

Thanks in advance!! And I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas :)

You'll LOVE Galway so!

As others have said, Charlie Byrnes is great for new and used Books. Lots of choice. Pick one up and then head over to Tigh Neachtain's for a coffee/pint of Guinness and a read.

There's live music in many of the pubs around Galway. Tig Coili and the Crane Bar usually have traditional music on. Galway is so small if you're not feeling one pub, you can always move on to the one next door.

Roisin Dubh is great for live music, more alternative/rock. Monroe's also do live music upstairs.

There is the Galway Museum down at Spanish Arch. It's free and interesting enough. There is a GREAT cafe beside it called The Kitchen - fabulous cake slices and coffee! I would recommend the carrot cake. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

If you join couchsurfing, you will find locals to show you the best places to go in Galway.

www.couchsurfing.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Don't do Galway first, what ever you do. It's a nice place but it's in need of a bit of TLC.

You need to walk the Prom. You could go to the Galway Museum, there's a nice view from the top floor, a couple of really cool old medieval things in there too and it's free. Check out the Cathedral, won't talk long but it has an interesting history and is basically the postcard for the city.

There's some really good food in the city. What Galway is kind of most known for is the pubs. I don't know if you're a drinker but if you are check out 'The Latin Quarter'

Take a stroll down Shop Street...

I tend to hang out by the water most of the time I'm there and there's plenty of it between Salthill, the Spanish Arch, The Docks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Theres a Saturday Market in Churchyard St/Market St that's worth a stroll, and right beside that is the georgeous St Nicholas' church (miles cooler than the cathedral IMO).
    Galway's a great place for just hangng out and chatting.
    Someone mentioned Aran Islands - personally I'd give them an overnight if you can, a day trip always seemed rushed to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 glassdaisies

Awesome, really great tips, thank you! Feel free to keep them coming :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement