Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i didnt go to Mass!

• 24-12-2014 7:08pm

Christmas eve and I never went to Mass. Must be the first year ever. Am not religious and am probably an atheist as don't actually believe in a God.
    However being in Ireland and having a religious grandmother who brought my family up, it's kind of a traditional more than anything else.
    Did you go or did you slip it. Is it even relevant anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There's stil time!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

It's only just after 6pm. Most masses are from 8pm onwards I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Still plenty of time to get a mass in somewhere. There is mass in the morning as well anyway. You need to keep god happy, he cares about these things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ya have a whole day and evening to go. Relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Christmas eve and I never went to Mass. Must be the first year ever. Am not religious and am probably an atheist as don't actually believe in a God.
    However being in Ireland and having a religious grandmother who brought my family up, it's kind of a traditional more than anything else.
    Did you go or did you slip it. Is it even relevant anymore.

Not in at least 25-30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

There's an open invite for me to join the family at 8 mass. I'm going for a walk to Salthill to try and see the ISS (overhead at 7!), so I might call in on the way back. Maybe. They might be signing carols or something. Or more likely the thought of a hot whiskey will steer me past it and back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I am absolutely shocked op I have no words.
    Just shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I'm going in the morning. Don't give a toss about mass or religion but I like going on Christmas to meet friends and family. There's a nice atmosphere around the place on Christmas morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I went to midnight mass.....at 5pm :o

I didn't really i lied :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well, you won't be getting any presents off Santa this year OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Just putting it out there but how about instead of going to mass and giving donations to a multimillion euro tax free society you take a few old wooly jumpers and old coats and wooly socks and head around your local town giving them to the homeless.
    If God exists he won't be mad and if he dosent exist you've just performed your first random act of kindness.

Happy holidays to all, what ever you do or don't believe.

PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I haven't been to mass at Christmas since 1999. I usually just catch the Father Ted Christmas Special instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You're a thundering disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

OP,

You're going to make baby Jesus cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Havent gone in years. Rest of the family headed off so I get time to myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I haven't been in 15 odd years. Plenty of time to go if you want to OP but if you feel its not for you that's okay too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Careful now down with that sort of thing.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Haven't been since around 2000. Total waste of time considering I don't believe a word of it.

It's 11:30..... Does there actually be mass at midnight and if so, wouldn't everyone be quite merry after a few bevies on Xmas eve?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The big magic man in the sky will not be pleased:mad:

Mass in on RTE1 now, live from St Mel's Cathedral in Longford. Mel Gibson's mother was from Longford, so she named him after the parish. Imagine naming your child after a parish.

It's a good thing she wasn't from Cabinteely - he'd be called Bridget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

At the last minute decided to go to 7.30pm Vigil mass ............church was packed and many did not have seating .

Went on for about 45 mins and there were two money collections - don't know why .

Probably won't be there again till Easter.

Went on for about 45 mins and there were two money collections - don't know why .

The second time the basket comes around, you have to take your change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

It's ok, there's still plenty of time to get ready for 6AM mass tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

For those who said they haven't attended in years. By Mass, do you include funerals, weddings & baptisms? Surely, you would have had to attend one of the above in the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Berserker wrote: »
    For those who said they haven't attended in years. By Mass, do you include funerals, weddings & baptisms? Surely, you would have had to attend one of the above in the last 15 years.

I suppose you'd just count regular Mass that you go to of your own volition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

I have never been to a midnight mass in my life , My parents were cool like that we ate our selection boxes and watched TV in front of a roaring fire when everyone was in a cold church catching cold's with the peace be with you handshake and partaking in cannibalism and drinking blood :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Spoiler: They turn bread into JC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Never in my life been to Christmas mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Weve been drinking since lunch time and then at half 9 my mum and her sister decide were going to mass. There are the only 2 who aren't absolutely goosed. It was crap. I'm going to bed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Not been to mass in about 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Spoiler: They turn bread into JC.

Witchcraft!! oooooooh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Berserker wrote: »
    One RC wedding where I had to hold my tongue after the priest said something really homophobic while staring at gay friends of mine. **** that noise.

I think if Dumbledore was saying mass, I definately would go just to see him take out his wand and turn the bread and wine into body and blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

shockwave wrote: »
    The big magic man in the sky will not be pleased:mad:

Why would Santy care if you went or not?

Absolutely packed today. Barely any standing room. People were standing outside the church listening.

Good mass actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What would you classify as a good mass??

Larianne wrote: »

They had kids acting out the whole baby Jesus story.

A really cool choir. Great singers and musicians.

Priest gave a good speech on Christmas.

Kids up on the altar talking about what Santa brought them, hilarious.

Seeing people outside the church I haven't seen in ages, who were home for the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Larianne wrote: »
    knowing how to work the altar and effortless chalice work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Cathalog wrote: »
    Why would Santy care if you went or not?

Santy is Saint Nicholas. He mightn't give a hoot as long as you were decent to other people. Seems like the new Pope has similar tendencies. I haven't been to a non-event Mass in some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Other than funerals or weddings. I don't think I've been to a mass since I was an altar boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Went to mass last night. Don't go every week but now and again. It was absolutely beautiful. Choir sang. Congregation joined in. It really touched me. Been an eventful year for my family and I don't know why but last night I just felt more thankful than ever. I know this is probably not the right place, each to their own, but last night was special for me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Went to midnight mass.

Church was packed, person beside me was tired as I could see him rubbing his eyes, then a few minutes he nodded off three or four times during the sermon. The priest had a very sedate voice which didn't help him.

It was enjoyable, lots of music and the singers were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Absolutely packed today. Barely any standing room. People were standing outside the church listening.

Good mass actually.

The attempt at CPR for the RCC on boards continues. Laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
    Denis Diderot

The attempt at CPR for the RCC on boards continues. Laughable.

What is laughable is people thinking they know more than those who attended mass.

Christmas and Easter are the times the churches do be packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

RobertKK wrote: »
    What is laughable is people thinking they know more than those who attended mass.

Christmas and Easter are the times the churches do be packed.

Ah! More stealth proselytisation. Very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Why would anyone go to mass on Santas birthday ?

Ah! More stealth proselytisation. Very enjoyable.

But how can you say the person is wrong when you weren't there to see.

You are basically saying anyone who says anything like a church was packed is telling lies...and you base it on no evidence.
    Which means you have based it on your own ignorance of the facts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement