Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sky sports best premier league side

• 24-12-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Le tissier, Nicholas, merson and Thompson have just picked the best 11 of the premier league era.

No Keane or shearer which I think is strange.

Their team is

Schmeichel

Neville. Terry. Adams Cole

Ronaldo. Gerrard. Vieira. Giggs

Henry. Bergkamp.

Not a bad team all the same

Edit: Gerrard for scholes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

I find it incredibly depressing that a mockney wide boy like Tony Gale is probably earning an obscene wage as a pundit participating in ridiculous guff like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I wonder if Shearer was a pundit on Sky Sports and not the BBC would the team be different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So John Terry the only player never to have played for Man United and Arsenal?

I'm calling bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

tastyt wrote: »
    Le tissier, Nicholas, merson and Thompson have just picked the best 11 of the premier league era.

Their team is

Schmeichel

Neville. Terry. Ferdinand. Cole

Ronaldo. Scholes. Vieira. Giggs

Henry. Bergkamp.

You have it wrong pal Gerrard was in for Scholes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

5 arsenal players is some laugh in fairness and no shearer or keane, these things are such a sham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

CSF wrote: »
    So John Terry the only player never to have played for Man United and Arsenal?

I'm calling bull****.

They've won around 15/16 titles of 22. Most likely they had the best players. I mean, looking at Mourinho's best team in 05, I wouldn't have many other than Terry and Cole in the team of the PL.

Bergkamp is my only gripe. Bit of a Cantona character, in that the likes of Shearer, Aguero, Rooney etc are all probably better PL players.

bullvine wrote: »
    5 arsenal players is some laugh in fairness and no shearer or keane, these things are such a sham.

That was Merson and Nicholas doing

Two of the four judges are ex arsenal hence the inclusion of 5 arsenal players with united only having 4 players, considering united have dominated the league its a bit rediculous that they would not have the most players in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

They've won around 15/16 titles of 22. Most likely they had the best players. I mean, looking at Mourinho's best team in 05, I wouldn't have many other than Terry and Cole in the team of the PL.

Bergkamp is my only gripe. Bit of a Cantona character, in that the likes of Shearer, Aguero, Rooney etc are all probably better PL players.

Bergkamp was absolute class, but he was more of a 10 than a striker if you're going with 442 it could only be shearer up there. It's funny but shearer would be there if he was on sky.

Also not having Scholes in there is criminal, toss of a coin between viera and Keane so no problem there.

Their team is

Schmeichel

Neville. Adams Ferdinand. Cole

Henry. Bergkamp.

Edit: Adams for Terry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Before the edit I was going to post how it was a Christmas miracle there was no Gerrard in there with Phil Thompson on the judging panel...

Before the edit I was going to post how it was a Christmas miracle there was no Gerrard in there with Phil Thompson on the judging panel...

In all fairness Gerrard was unanimous decision first on the sheet for CM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Gerrard ahead of Keane.

L oh fu(king L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Schmeichel
    Neville
    Terry/Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Cole
    Keane
    Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Bergkamp
    Henry
    Shearer

Gerrard was a wonderful player but not in the center, he played best when tucked behind the forward, around 2009 behind torres simply sensational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No Keane means no credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ian Marshall overlooked yet again.

Gerrard was a wonderful player but not in the center, he played best when tucked behind the forward, around 2009 behind torres simply sensational.[/

If I had to pick the team in a 4-4-2 formation I'd pick Gerrard in beside Keane.

Their team is

Schmeichel

Neville. Terry. Adams Cole

Henry. Bergkamp.

It's Adams and Ferdinand not Terry and Adams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

No Keane means no credibility.

Since retiring, Keane seems to have been reduced to some sort of clogger that wasn't on the same level as Scholes and Gerrard et al. He was actually a brilliant footballer and I'd have him down first on any teamsheet. Very high bottom level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I'd have any of Keane, Scholes and Lampard over Gerrard to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The great irony is that season after season we hear from these pundits how this current season is the best BPL season yet and how the standard has risen so much yet how many of the players they've selected actually played a significant role in a BPL side in the last 6 seasons?

Infact the standard only really rose upon Abramovich's arrival and yet one Chelsea player despite 3 successful campaigns in an era where it was genuinely one of the best leagues on the world. No City players despite 2 successful campaigns? Bergkamp? Give me a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I did things like this when I was 12 years old. Strange one for them to be doing. Literally impossible to choose the "best" possible PL team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

It's Adams and Ferdinand not Terry and Adams

Sorry about that, there's a different team named on their website to the team that was named on the show so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

In fairness a justified 5 if you ask me but tbh there's about 20 players you could argue in and out of that team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

PS
    Coleman

Stum
    Company

Cole

Ronaldo
    Viera
    Zola
    Pires

Bergkamp
    Henry

efb wrote: »
    PS
    Coleman

Stum
    Company

Cole

Ronaldo
    Viera
    Zola
    Pires

Bergkamp
    Henry

I think Coleman is a fairly biased shout !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ahead of both Keane and Scholes? Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Keane, Irwin and Pires should be in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

efb wrote: »
    Coleman

jesus christ.

/joke about crosses

but effin hell, Coleman ahead of Neville, do one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Schmeichel

Neville
    Adams
    Terry
    Cole

Gerrard
    Vieria
    Scholes
    Ronaldo

Shearer
    Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Saipanne wrote: »
    Gerrard ahead of Keane.

L oh fu(king L.

Much as I like Keane, he's not much use as a goalscoring midfielder. Different players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Ledley King over Terry any day of the week anyway.

Keane, Irwin and Pires should be in there.

Irwin is definitely unlucky, the only thing is that he's up against Cole, as unlikeable a character as he is , you could argue that he is the best left back to ever play in England

Schmeichel

Neville
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    Cole

Gerrard
    Keane
    Vieira

Ronaldo
    shearer
    Henry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

irishmover wrote: »
    Ledley King over Terry any day of the week anyway.

On what basis? Terry has 3 Premier League trophies and has been highly regarded throughout Europe for over a decade. Ledley King has a ringing endorsement from Henry and unfulfilled potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

jesus christ.

/joke about crosses

but effin hell, Coleman ahead of Neville, do one.

I don't like Gary Neville

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd have Cech in there ahead of Kasper's da

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd go
    Cech

Carvalho
    Stam
    Kompany

Vieira
    Keane
    Scholes

Robben
    Ronaldo

Henry
    Suarez

Stam is possibly a bit fortunate but like Carvalho, Kompany and Robben they were sensational in their most dominant seasons. Essien, Lampard, Makelele, Aguero, Shearer, and about 40 others are unlucky not to make it.

Much as I like Keane, he's not much use as a goalscoring midfielder. Different players.

Keane scored a good few goals. It was only towards the end of his united career he played the sitting role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Would there be much appetite on the forum for a premier league era draft competition thingy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Keane was miles better than Scholes. Miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Would there be much appetite on the forum for a premier league era draft competition thingy?

Love these, they're always good fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

Schmeichel,
    Neville,Terry,Ferdinand,Cole
    Ronaldo,Keane,Scholes,Pires
    Henry,Shearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I can't understand how people can leave Shearer out, really underrated. He was the perfect center forward, brilliant from long range, freekicks, in the air, 1v1s, striker instincts, strength, technique, even speed, he had everything. In his prime there wasn't many better in europe, if at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

My XI would be

Cech
    Neville Campbell Terry Cole
    Ronaldo Scholes Keane Giggs
    Henry Shearer

Close calls for schemichel, adams, stam, irwin, lampard, vieira, zola, v.nistelrooy to name a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I like that team but not having Irwin in there is a mistake I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Van Der Sar

Irwin
    Adams
    Stam
    Cole

Keane
    Scholes
    Gerrard

Ronaldo
    Henry
    Suarez

I'd have Shearer and Drogba up front. No complaints with Henry, just prefer the powerful direct striker type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The great irony is that season after season we hear from these pundits how this current season is the best BPL season yet and how the standard has risen so much yet how many of the players they've selected actually played a significant role in a BPL side in the last 6 seasons?

Infact the standard only really rose upon Abramovich's arrival and yet one Chelsea player despite 3 successful campaigns in an era where it was genuinely one of the best leagues on the world. No City players despite 2 successful campaigns? Bergkamp? Give me a break.

True but the longer a player played in the league the more likely they are to be included. Most players selected in the team are players who spent the majority of their career in the PL (apart from Ronaldo who is one of the best players of all time). There may have been better right backs in the league than Neville, but he performed at that level for 15 years and deserves his place in the team for example.

Can't argue too much with the team myself, was probably a bit young to fully appreciate Schmeichel, Adams and Bergkamp but they seem like they deserve their place in the team. If I was to change them 3 I would put in Cech, Ferdinand and Shearer probably, Roy Keane and Scholes are also unlucky to miss out but very hard to make a decision between them two and the two who were selected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement