Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sky sports best premier league side

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Yes they were. Breaking the duopoly of Man Utd and Arsenal in 2004/2005 smashing all sorts of records in the process, they went on to retain their crown the following season. Without a doubt it's one of the best teams in the history of the premier league. The club changed the face of English football.

How did the club change the face of english football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Who's been better than him at Liverpool?

Alonso by a considerable distance in my opinion. Gerrard didn't do his best work as a traditional cm.They have him in that team in a 2 man midfield,Alonso a much better player in that role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Gerrard at one stage in his Career was prob the best CM in the world he deserves his place

What stage was this, exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lampard is always criminally underrated in these things.

One of the first names on the teamsheet tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

4-5-1

Cech

Irwin Terry Vidic Cole

Ronaldo Viera Keane Giggs

Lampard

Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I also think people over complicate midfield selections sometimes. If you had Keane and Viera in the middle you would have crushed teams. They can both play enough but you'd just physically dominate opponents and secure a limitless supply of possession. Moreover your defence would be brilliantly protected.

Something like:

Keane
    Viera

Ronaldo
    Gerrard
    Giggs

Henry

Would have been completely unstoppable. If you want to swap in Scholes or Lampard for Gerrard sure knock yourself out. Take Shearer or Rooney as striker if you wish or make an argument to not take Giggs or Ronaldo for some reason if you really feel adventurous. It doesn't really matter because the bedrock of your team is going to make everyone else look like superstars anyway.

efb wrote: »
    I think too much is made about scholes- like some working class hero.

Yet he can't tackle and flopped on the international stage
    “My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder.” Zinedine Zidane

“I’m not the best, Paul Scholes is.” Edgar Davids

“Out of everyone at Manchester United, I would pick out Scholes – he is the best midfielder of his generation. I would have loved to have played alongside him.” Pep Guardiola

“I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It’s Paul Scholes. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite.” Sir Bobby Charlton

“The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy – Scholes.” Patrick Vieira

“He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League.” Cesc Fabregas

“In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.” Xavi

“Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I’ve ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him.” Eidur Godjohnsen

“Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team.” Marcello Lippi

"At La Masia his name was mentioned a lot. He's a teacher" Lionel Messi

"I want to pass like him. Who taught him how to do that?" Ronaldinho

SlickRic wrote: »
    Lampard is always criminally underrated in these things.

One of the first names on the teamsheet tbh.

Serious lack of mention for Sol Campbell too, if we are talking peak performance over longevity. From 2001 to 2004 he was an absolute monster of a defender, I would take him in that time above Stam of 98-01, Terry in the mid 2000s or Vidic in the late 2000s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Cech

Neville----Terry
    Adams
    Cole---

Ronaldo
    Scholes----Keane
    Bale---

Lampard

Shearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Billy86 wrote: »
    “My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder.” Zinedine Zidane

“Out of everyone at Manchester United, I would pick out Scholes – he is the best midfielder of his generation. I would have loved to have played alongside him.” Pep Guardiola

“I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It’s Paul Scholes. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite.” Sir Bobby Charlton

“He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League.” Cesc Fabregas

“In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.” Xavi

“Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I’ve ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him.” Eidur Godjohnsen

“Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team.” Marcello Lippi

"I want to pass like him. Who taught him how to do that?" Ronaldinho
    Thanks for those Paul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Be interested what the age profile of posters putting teams up here are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,208 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Can I hear your arguement on how lampard is more complete than Gerrard

Lampard at his peak was better than Gerrard at his peak. Lamps was always the better goalscorer. He has better positional sense, ball control and is more explosive. With Gerrard I felt there was always something lacking for him to be considered one of the very best. He'd go missing in games a lot more than Lampard would for instance.
    Gerrard at one stage in his Career was prob the best CM in the world he deserves his place

Ah jaysus, gimme a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Thanks for those Paul.

He will always be my favourite player. Much <3

Billy86 wrote: »

"I want to pass like him

. Who taught him how to do that?" Ronaldinho

The problem with quotes like that is that (i) some of them provide little insight - I mean, Eidur Gudjohnsen saying Scholes is one of his favourites is hardly huge - (ii)some of them throw their allegiances around like confetti - Zidane also said Gerrard was the best in the EPL while Vieira said Keane was the best he played - and (iii) some of them are not great endorsements - like Messi saying his name was mentioned a lot - and so on. You could probably find a bunch of quotes about any player mentioned in this thread.

Having said all that, he was undoubtedly a fine player.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Alonso

Lies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning with this thread

The problem with quotes like that is that (i) some of them provide little insight - I mean, Eidur Gudjohnsen saying Scholes is one of his favourites is hardly huge - (ii)some of them throw their allegiances around like confetti - Zidane also said Gerrard was the best in the EPL while Vieira said Keane was the best he played - and (iii) some of them are not great endorsements - like Messi saying his name was mentioned a lot - and so on. You could probably find a bunch of quotes about any player mentioned in this thread.

Zidane said after Liverpool knocked Madrid out of CL that Gerrard was the best midfielder in world football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Zidane has a best player quote every few months.He was talking up Pogba a few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Agreed, those players blow smoke up each other's asses on a regular basis. Especially before matches against them

• Advertisement

Gerard is so one dimensional he wouldn't reproduce it in the European leagues like Alonso and Beckham

Gerard is so one dimensional he wouldn't reproduce it in the European leagues like Alonso and Beckham

He did in the champions league against top Euro sides. Anyway the thread it's Premier League ultimate team

Better beard and that's it. Alonso's was a great player for Liverpool but that's a massive insult to Stevie G. The only midfielder who could even come close to rivalling Gerrard is Barnes.

Really??? Honestly??? You're not shytting me?

He did in the champions league against top Euro sides. Anyway the thread it's Premier League ultimate team

Once, fortuitously, including that dive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

irishmover wrote: »
    Explain how trophies have any basis on whether a player is good or not? King has been regarded a better defender by most people in the game than Terry. Just because he played for Spurs and didn't win major trophies doesn't mean a thing. Opinions are good though. My opinion King was worlds apart from any other English defender in that era. His knees were what ruined him from being among the best ever players, even at that he was still better than Terry though.

He really was not even close. Even at the height of his really short prime.

It's clear you don't like him or you support a team that has rivalry with Liverpool. Don't let your hatred blind you or cloud your judgement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think we need a few more posts like this so you can really ram home your dislike of Gerrard. Not quite there yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think we need a few more posts like this so you can really ram home your dislike of Gerrard. Not quite there yet...

Gerrard's shite.

Wouldnt have him in the 11 but thats no insult tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Let's see.

Engine/Work effort: Gerrard, no contest
    Leadership: Again no contest, Gerrard
    Passing: Xabi yeah, but Gerrard is a fine passer of the ball. Xabi is probably the finest long passer of the ball in the modern game but in terms of small, quick key passes Stevie is very accomplished here
    Goal scoring: Again no contest, Gerrard could have been moulded into a CF in his younger days
    Tackling/Overall defending: This could be a toss up but Gerrard is a very good tackler and is a very physical player. Xabi is great at nicking the ball but Gerrard would and could make a fine CB.

I don't know how anyone could say Gerrard is one dimensional or in fact that Xabi is a better CM than him. If anything Xabi is the one who is a little one dimensional. Gerrard has played in defence for Pool several times in fact starting his career there. He has played all across midfield for Pool and indeed England. And he has even played as a deep lying forward and he has been immense in all these roles. One dimensional is utter boll*cks.

jebforever wrote: »
    Lampard at his peak was better than Gerrard at his peak. Lamps was always the better goalscorer. He has better positional sense, ball control and is more explosive. With Gerrard I felt there was always something lacking for him to be considered one of the very best. He'd go missing in games a lot more than Lampard would for instance.

Ah jaysus, gimme a break.

Go missing in games???? He's came to the rescue of Liverpool time and time again. Instead of replying to all your post says a lot when Mourinho was mad to sign Gerrard when Lampard was at his peak.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Ran home, Gerard gigggidy!

I just think, like so many English players, he is overrated

• Advertisement

Nothing like a best XI to get people going.

No matter who is picked people would moan about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Ran home, Gerard gigggidy!

I just think, like so many English players, he is overrated

Bit of a cop out there lad.

Go missing in games???? He's came to the rescue of Liverpool time and time again. Instead of replying to all your post says a lot when Mourinho was mad to sign Gerrard when Lampard was at his peak.

He has been pants in a lot of liverpool games. The Arsenal FA cup match last year I remeber him being v ineffective in

Bit of a cop out there lad.

Lad? I'm not 17

He has been pants in a lot of liverpool games. The Arsenal FA cup match last year I remeber him being v ineffective in

Didn't he score 12 or 13 goals last season and have 15 assists.

You're embarrassing yourself now but funny to read. The tvs poor enough

rarnes1 wrote: »

10/13 were penalties

And 10 assists (8 from set play)

rarnes1 wrote: »

My TV has been good QI was on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A lot of people tend to go for Gary Neville as the default RB. I think you would be mad to chose G Nev ahead of Ivanovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

A lot of people tend to go for Gary Neville as the default RB. I think you would be mad to chose G Nev ahead of Ivanovic

Ivanovic isn't even the best RB at Chelsea, never mind best ever in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

How are people picking Drogba over the likes of shearer, henry, Bergkamp, suarez even van nistleroy to an extent.

Drogba had one outstanding season in 09-10 in terms of league goals, the rest being average

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    How are people picking Drogba over the likes of shearer, henry, Bergkamp, suarez even van nistleroy to an extent.

Drogba had one outstanding season in 09-10 in terms of league goals, the rest being average

Top scorer in two Premier League seasons, an unstoppable force in 2009/2010, that he didn't win all of the individual honours that season us nothing short of a travesty. Chelsea's main man from the time he arrived to the time he left, heckler he's still doing it in big games now. He's a monstrous player, far more important than Bergkamp, more complete than Shearer, like Cech, Carvalho, Makelele and Lampard he doesn't get his due.

Top scorer in two Premier League seasons, an unstoppable force in 2009/2010, that he didn't win all of the individual honours that season us nothing short of a travesty. Chelsea's main man from the time he arrived to the time he left, heckler he's still doing it in big games now. He's a monstrous player, far more important than Bergkamp, more complete than Shearer, like Cech, Carvalho, Makelele and Lampard he doesn't get his due.

Lampard, Cech and Makelele all get the credit they're due, Drogba isn't half the player you're making him out to be in my opinion though.

What about the seasons before and after 09/10 where he scored 5 in 24 and 11 in 36, shocking numbers for somebody considered the main man at a club.

Lampard, Cech and Makelele all get the credit they're due, Drogba isn't half the player you're making him out to be in my opinion though.

What about the seasons before and after 09/10 where he scored 5 in 24 and 11 in 36, shocking numbers for somebody considered the main man at a club.

Luckily I was able to watch him play those games rather than waiting for opta stat to update and I can tell you now he is twice the player that I am making him out to be. The most complete striker the world has ever known, the best damn lone striker you'll ever see. A club who hadn't won the league in 50 years, without the great traditions of their rivals and along comes Abramovich to shake up the established order. What do you need? You need a great manager, he gets Mourinho. You need world class facilities, Cobham is now a world class training facility. You need a large squad, he assembles a rack of talented players. But then you need magic, you need that extra something, that extraordinary something that turns 1 point into 3, that turns semi finals into cup glory, that one special person who leads and inspires those around him, these people aren't easy to find, if your lucky you see one perhaps only a single time over the course of your life. Abramovich opted for a 27 year old Ivorian striker at Marseille named Didier Drogba. On the back of his power, his speed, his prodigious talent, his enigmatic persona, his sheer force of will, Chelsea enjoyed the most successful period in the club's history, culminating in a Champions League in Munich. 2004-2012 at Chelsea, Drogba is everything.

Luckily I was able to watch him play those games rather than waiting for opta stat to update and I can tell you now he is twice the player that I am making him out to be. The most complete striker the world has ever known, the best damn lone striker you'll ever see. A club who hadn't won the league in 50 years, without the great traditions of their rivals and along comes Abramovich to shake up the established order. What do you need? You need a great manager, he gets Mourinho. You need world class facilities, Cobham is now a world class training facility. You need a large squad, he assembles a rack of talented players. But then you need magic, you need that extra something, that extraordinary something that turns 1 point into 3, that turns semi finals into cup glory, that one special person who leads and inspires those around him, these people aren't easy to find, if your lucky you see one perhaps only a single time over the course of your life. Abramovich opted for a 27 year old Ivorian striker at Marseille named Didier Drogba. On the back of his power, his speed, his prodigious talent, his enigmatic persona, his sheer force of will, Chelsea enjoyed the most successful period in the club's history, culminating in a Champions League in Munich. 2004-2012 at Chelsea, Drogba is everything.
    I'm sorry mate but I'm struggling to take you seriously when you try and tell me Drogba is the most complete striker the world has ever known haha major overexaggeration.

I'm sorry mate but I'm struggling to take you seriously when you try and tell me Drogba is the most complete striker the world has ever known haha major overexaggeration.

I don't agree, Didier had everything, I'd argue he is the first we've seen of the modern world class center forward who can do it all.

I don't agree, Didier had everything, I'd argue he is the first we've seen of the modern world class center forward who can do it all.

I agree he had it all its just that he didn't have enough of it. He was way too inconsistent with his goal scoring for me to consider him one of the best the league has seen. You're really milking his 2 outstanding seasons and brushing over the rest of his mediocre to poor seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Drogba? Doesn't deserve a mention really - everything he had, Alan Shearer had. And more so. Drogba had a few great seasons and a few decent ones, and a few downright poor ones. You can make arguments for Henry, (the best for me) van Nistelrooy etc, but Drogba, at least in Premier League terms, was just a poor mans Shearer.

As for Bergkamp, for me he's my favourite ever player and certainly I can't think of anyone with better technique than him in the league. Was never a striker though, so he can't really be compared to the others. Shoe in for No10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Schmeichel
    g nev Terry stam Cole
    Ronaldo Scholes Keane giggs
    shearer Henry.

In a few years I'd probably change Henry for Rooney cos he'll break his goal scoring record by loads.That's what bein a cf is all about, goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Drogba is one of the greatest big game players I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

yabadabado wrote: »
    Zidane has a best player quote every few months.He was talking up Pogba a few weeks back.

Pretty much everyone in european football has been talking up Pogba over the last 2 years.

Advertisement