Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medion Wireless WIFI Extender

Options
  • 24-12-2014 10:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

HI,

recently in Aldi, I bought a Medion Wireless WIFI Extender.

the parents live in a big house. and in my bedroom the wi fi signal is bad and I only get 1 bar, sometimes none at all.
    parents just have a DSL line and a vodafone wireless modem

so I just want to boost the wifi signal to my bedroom.

I bought the Medion Wireless WIFI Extender.

something like this : http://download5.medion.com/downloads/anleitungen/bda_md86738au.pdf

The instructions are absolutely sh1te, they are very unclear,
    It says it can be used in 3 modes

> repeater
    > a client
    > access point

It is unclear from the instructions how I should set this up, I presume for my needs, I need to set it up as a " repeater"

can anyone advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Repeaters are ****e. Medion are ****e.

Go buy some AV200 homeplugs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

ED E wrote: »

yeah.

the instructions said to press the "wps" button on the medion plug and then press the "wps" button on the Vodafone modem.

that didn't seem to do much, in fact it seemed to disable the Vodafone wireless........I could not find the Vodafone network anymore on my smartphone.

fixed again by just guessing at pressing the "wifi" button on the Vodafone modem.

tried to connect to the newly created "repeater" wireless network and no luck either.

do these av 200's work with Wifi on smart phones ?

or are they purely for wired connections

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AV200 is a specification. Some come with ethernet ports only, some come with Wifi too(in 1 of the two plugs).

eg:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WPA281KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Smartphone/dp/B00ECBRGW8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1419798867&sr=8-4&keywords=AV200

AV200 is a specification. Some come with ethernet ports only, some come with Wifi too(in 1 of the two plugs).

eg:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WPA281KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Smartphone/dp/B00ECBRGW8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1419798867&sr=8-4&keywords=AV200

oh ok, thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hughowen

Hi, I am looking at this too and was wondering if I am right in the following..
    I have Sky Fibre in one room and in another room I use an Ipad and signal is very poor. I can buy this and Plug into the room where my Router is and plug the other into the other room where the bad signal is,it would it increase the signal?. One other question is, do I have to connect ethernet cable from the router to this in the first instance or is it totally wifi

Hugh

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hughowen wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking at this too and was wondering if I am right in the following..
    I have Sky Fibre in one room and in another room I use an Ipad and signal is very poor. I can buy this and Plug into the room where my Router is and plug the other into the other room where the bad signal is,it would it increase the signal?. One other question is, do I have to connect ethernet cable from the router to this in the first instance or is it totally wifi

Hugh

Yes you would connect the router via cable to the "first" adapter - then depending on how you use the adapters you can connect the second adapter via ethernet to a laptop for example or set up the wifi connection for something like an ipad. In effect you are using the electricity wiring as a "substitute" for a long ethernet cable.

Be careful that the general advice is that adapters should only be used in the main socket and not in extension leads so it might be as well to consider models that feature a pass through socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

eg:

so I plug one end into my router, and the other plugin where i want to boost my wi-fi, will this be wi-fi or i need to conect via cable still?

Advertisement