Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I was having this chat about Walker on social media recently.

He's done well since Poch has come in, he's still prone to the odd mistake. Though his attacking contribution is poor. Walker has 5 assists in 31 starts, Trippier has 5 assists in 6 starts.

I appreciate that it's not all about assists but if people have doubts about Trippier's defending then Walker is a prime example of how Poch can improve a defender's defending ability.

Yes, selling Walker to a a rival is not ideal. BUT, if that rival is not focused on defending could Walker go back to his old ways? My suggestion is that we will start seeing Walker from five seasons ago if he signs for City. So, he could actually make them weaker - as Zabaleta is a better defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

09_09_09 wrote: »
    Agree with you regarding Walker. However, his pace is vital to stop counter attacks.

I believe we might be trying to get Ihnechao(sp??) from them so this deal is to please them or we do not think selling Walker to City will make them stronger?!?!

Really don't see Walker going anywhere, unless he pleads for a transfer. Plenty of rumors circulating.

"Heard you wanted to go to Manchester City, Kyle."

"It would be a shame if you failed your medical."

DAXtcOnWsAAAToJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Mixed feelings about Walker as I am a big fan of his pace and physicality, we will lose defensively if he is replaced by Tripp, but gain massively in attack.

The worry might be letting him go would spark a bit of unrest amongst the other stars, the money is out there for them and they know it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Given that Defoe is now being paid more at Bournemouth then any of our players, that's going to happen regardless.

Wages will be our biggest challenge over the next 12-18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

TBH I don't and never have rated walker his pace usually gets him out of trouble and often trouble his lack of ability has caused.
    If the figures being bandied about are correct I'd be happy to see him go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Levy Lover

The only player Levy will sell to an English club this summer is Walker and that's because 1) we are getting 50m and 2) we have a capable replacement.

No loss in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind selling Sissoko to Marseille for the 21-25m being quoted.

Hopefully we can add some back up quality in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I'd take £50m for Walker, but would prefer if he went abroad.

Really hope we sell Sissoko and reinvest.

GKN maybe needs to go too, although he could still make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Patww79 wrote: »

What did he say?

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Taken out of context, the soundbite doesn't sound great but I've listened to the full thing and it's not that bad.

Rose gave a very typical footballer response, completely fence-sitting. He said he didn't want to speak for anyone and thus gave every possible mind-set a Spurs player could be in - the media just took the snippet that suited their narrative.

Classic click-bait.

Cengiz Under bought for ?8m apparently.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/29/tottenham-agree-transfer-fee-for-manchester-united-target-cengiz-under-6670163/

Haven't seen him holding a jersey yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Cengiz Under bought for ?8m apparently.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/29/tottenham-agree-transfer-fee-for-manchester-united-target-cengiz-under-6670163/

Haven't seen him holding a jersey yet.

Future headline after he scores a hat-trick: Cengiz Can!

Seriously, I take my hat off to anyone who has any direct knowledge of seeing him play. According to the article he has 9 goals and 7 assists in the Turkish Super League but I am struggling to remember a successful Turkish import into the PL apart from Turkish Germans.

Clearly a talented kid but only time will tell of he is the latest winger to follow N'Jie and Nkoudo (who hopefully isn't done yet). If nothing else I like the description the "Turkish Dele Alli" and comparisons with Dyabala (probably by his agent!). £8M though, the price of potential these days is phenomenal.

An interesting acquisition all the same if it happens, and this is the pond we are fishing in, we have to leave Griezemann to Utd so Jose can put him covering behind the full back and marking Robert Huth at corners.

Yeah Turks are heavily odds against to succeed in the Premiership

Deise Vu wrote: »
    An interesting acquisition all the same if it happens, and this is the pond we are fishing in, we have to leave Griezemann to Utd so Jose can put him covering behind the full back and marking Robert Huth at corners.

The terms "baby" and "bath-water" spring to mind.

This lad is a prospect we're buying for a mere £8m. He's not exactly one of our marquee signings.

I've heard rumours about Thomas Lemar from Monaco and Kevin Gameiro from Atletico - both good signings and more first-team player signings.

Shipping Sissoko out to the highest bidder should be the priority.

The terms "baby" and "bath-water" spring to mind.

This lad is a prospect we're buying for a mere £8m. He's not exactly one of our marquee signings.

I've heard rumours about Thomas Lemar from Monaco and Kevin Gameiro from Atletico - both good signings and more first-team player signings.

Shipping Sissoko out to the highest bidder should be the priority.

I would be astonished if Spurs are in for Gameiro. he is 30 years old, just one year into his Athletico contract and on big money. The story is he happy but might leave if Atleti get Lacazetti as he won't play second fiddle. It would make zero sense for either Spurs or him and I'm not even going to mention Soldado.

OK I just did. :o

Do we need Lemar? He seems to sit in a very similar position to Son. He would be better than N'Koudu (i assume...since we've barely seen him).

Also, someone is being optimistic :rolleyes:

7RitMae.png

Kiith wrote: »
    Do we need Lemar? He seems to sit in a very similar position to Son. He would be better than N'Koudu (i assume...since we've barely seen him).

That's a fantastic signing IMO. By today's standards getting a 21 Y-O who has already been capped by France and who has already scored CL goals (against some team called Spurs:() and only costing £24M and a salary of £2.5M. That's a bargain in the current market. Potential to get much better and, at worst, will still be worth the transfer fee in a few years time.

We can't be thinking in terms of who gets dropped. If we are going to win trophies we need top class backup, whether that's him or Son (who probably isn't nailed on when everyone is available anyway, despite his great season last year.) Jesus, if Lamela, Winks and Rose are available for the start of next season, there will be some talent warming the bench.

Kiith wrote: »
    Do we need Lemar?

Yeah, extra squad strength is needed. Sure we might be losing Sissoko! :P

Where's the Lemar thang coming out of?

Lemar_-_Tick_Tock.jpg

• Advertisement

So we got £145 million this year from the PL. Wonder how much of that will be reinvested in players. Its been pretty quiet so far, which isn't surprising.

Still don't think we will sign any big names.

The figures being banded about are ludicrous. We did get Wanyama & Alderweireld for peanuts.

BargainHuntSeries24.jpg

We definitely won't be signing any big names. The Harry Redknapp days are gone. Big names generally join Spurs for the wrong reasons.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if Poch just concentrates on getting upgrades on Sissoko, Janssen and GKN, so we have a much stronger bench than last season.

It might be tempting to strengthen at centre back and central mid, but again only cover for what we have. Winks should provide decent competition next season.

Hopefully we can keep our full backs and sub keepers in place. I don't want Walker to leave, even for £40m. If he does go, we'll survive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sahko was booted out by Klopp for discipline reasons... Turning up late to meetings etc, doesn't sound like Poch's type of player to me but he would be decent cover.

Assume we can say goodbye to Wimmer at this stage either way.

I'd be very surprised if we're interested in Sakho. Paying big wages for someone with no realistic prospect of getting in the first team. Surely not.

Onomah played great for England U20s in a deep lying midfield role. Maybe we'll be ok with him, Winks and Dier as our reserve midfielders next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Lots of media saying Ross Barkley is a done deal. I'm happy with this addition if it's true

• Advertisement

He's definitely skillful, maybe Poch could coach him to being intelligent. Big task though. At the moment I think he's overrated.

Advertisement