Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Let's say we sign Alderwiereld, where does that leave our first choice back four?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Let's say we sign Alderwiereld, where does that leave our first choice back four?

Trippier - Alderweireld - Wimmer - Vertonghen

Looking at that, it's clear to see Poch was not happy with last year's defensive unit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Tripper - Alderweireld - Verts - Rose

With Wimmer, Walker and Davies in contention if the above aren't up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Rose has made the LB position his. He's the only guaranteed starter for me.
    Wimmer is unknown and new to the league? Hopefully he's quick.

Trippier isn't going to just walk in, he's an unknown quantity for me. Surely an improvement on numb nuts though.

I'll be surprised if we sign Alderweireld.

I think Dier is a good prospect, had a decent first season. Has made it clear he wants to play as CB. Came in for Walker, did a solid job, and created chances.

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Yeah I agree with this. I'd be very surprised - especially as they're talking €14m. He wouldn't be guaranteed to start unless he made the position his own.

I like Dier, Vertonghen seems to want to fight for a place and Wimmer, by all accounts, will fit in perfectly in the PL.

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree with this. I'd be very surprised - especially as they're talking €14m. He wouldn't be guaranteed to start unless he made the position his own.

I like Dier, Vertonghen seems to want to fight for a place and Wimmer, by all accounts, will fit in perfectly in the PL.

If Trippier works out it'll be fantastic. Supposedly he can cross the ball...
    A settled back four this season is all I ask. The comedy show at the back needs to stop, it's embarrassing.

Isn't it kind of a fact of the way Spurs try to play that we've always conceded goals though? I mean we've never really been known as 1-0 and sit-on-it type of team. Admittedly though some of our "defending" last season was particularly rubbish.

Isn't it kind of a fact of the way Spurs try to play that we've always conceded goals though? I mean we've never really been known as 1-0 and sit-on-it type of team. Admittedly though some of our "defending" last season was particularly rubbish.

Sure can make for an entertaining game, I'll give you that. At times last season, teams just waltzed through, and that's the poorer sides.

It was defending that let us down, if goals aren't so forthcoming this season we could be languishing further down the table.

Alderweireld did play ad a holding midfielder in some games for Southampton. He's also able to cover as full-back.

Maybe Poch sees him as a very capable utility player?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I would think he'd be almost immediately first choice along with Verts. Well worth the money. He's one of the only decent, proven centre backs on the market at the moment. I thought Chelsea would snap him up.

• Advertisement

Certainly seems to be gathering steam. I'd love to sign him. We were bloody awful in defense last year, and Dier is young enough to not need to start every week to improve his game.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9900897/tottenham-set-to-make-their-move-for-atletico-madrids-toby-alderweireld

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Jayzus lads. Are some of you suffering from heat exhaustion or what? Vertz was muck in every game last season bar about 2 games. I think he let all the talk linking him to united and Barca go to his head.
    At least now he will have too work to get in the team.

Trippier is ten times the player Walker is. He was a bit under the radar at Burnley but if he does anything decent next season then the English media will be all over him and he'll be over hyped like Walker was but at least he's consistent and reliable.

Rose the only guaranteed starter from last season in the back 4 for next year. Jesus wept. Sadly this may be the case.

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Any interesting take on the Alderweireld deal and why we might be right to be very surprised that we're going for him at all.

http://news.bwin.com/en/football-betting/premier-league/alderweireld-smokescreen-in-place-as-wary-spurs-chase-budget-schneiderlin,79352.html

Another way to look at it is, let's just say Schneiderlin has done a U-Turn and wouldn't mind signing for us..... maybe we're going after Alderweirld in order to negotiate a better deal on Schneiderlin. We tell Southampton that we'll drop our pursuit of Alderweirld if they sell us Schneiderlin for £15m (hypothetical figures)

Apparently Stambouli and Capoue are off to Watford.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11686/9903265/watford-agree-deals-to-sign-tottenham-duo-etienne-capoue-and-benjamin-stambouli

Surprised to see both of them go, but hopefully it means we've a quality replacement coming in. Thought Stambouli might have had a chance now, but i guess Poch just doesn't see him as being good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Good business if we get 10m for the pair of them, and with paulinho gone too, we have done good business so far

Begs the question as to who exactly bought Stambolui. .. he came in after Poch last Summer right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Shaqiri?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

irishmover wrote: »
    Shaqiri?

yes please/ :D be an upgrade on lemmon :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

all just rumour but apparently he will be offered to us as a part exchange for lamela according to the main soccer forum transfer thread:pac:

id be thrilled if that worked out:)

• Advertisement

Begs the question as to who exactly bought Stambolui. .. he came in after Poch last Summer right?

yea as far as i recall, i wish i knew what was going on behind the scenes/?
    i have been more than impressed with what he has shown on the pitch:)

davycc wrote: »
    all just rumour but apparently he will be offered to us as a part exchange for lamela according to the main soccer forum transfer thread:pac:

id be thrilled if that worked out:)

I think Inter are cash strapped so most likely will want cash.

I doubt Levy would go for part exchange with a £30m player.

So sounds like the main rumours are McCarthy, Shaqiri and Alderweireld. I'd be delighted with all three. They'd all be starters for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Shaqiri's form doesn't concern you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Some noise about toby being done for €16m, hope so.

Also noise about lloris to utd, but source is l'equip so may as well be **** smeared bog roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What an almighty balls up.

Not our fault. It's Athleticos mistake which is going to prove very costly to them ... and sadly to us. What a shame.

How do we end up in these situations. So frustrating.

He rejects Southamption, and we approach to sign afterwards. An option to buy still requires a player to agree terms, which he can say no to surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Kiith wrote: »
    He rejects Southamption, and we approach to sign afterwards. An option to buy still requires a player to agree terms, which he can say no to surely?

He has to be able to say no. There is always clauses such as option to buy/obligation to buy. But surely if the player says no, its void.

Maybe he wants to stay at Southampton. If he doesn't then I doubt Southampton would be pursuing this.

• Advertisement

Not a single quote or source in that guardian piece, I call shenanigans as that doesn't seem like a mistake anyone would actually make in real life, though similar scenarios do tend to play out in bad movies/tv shows.

Advertisement