Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If West Brom are looking for £25 mill for Berahino, Levy is 100% right in telling them to **** right off. He's worth nowhere near that amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Classic Levy - here we go again............

Tottenham Hotspur and West Bromwich Albion are more than £10million apart in their valuations of striker Saido Berahino.
    Spurs have held discussions about making a £10m opening bid for Berahino, but West Brom value their star man at closer to £25m.
    The future of Berahino could now become a saga that runs towards the end of the transfer window, with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy and West Brom’s Jeremy Peace both famous for refusing to give an inch.
    With Raheem Sterling joining Manchester City for £49m and Liverpool paying £32.5m for Christian Benteke, Peace believes Berahino is worth big money.

Tottenham’s move for Berahino is also very much dependent on the club offloading Emmanuel Adebayor and Roberto Soldado.
    Neither Adebayor nor Soldado have travelled with the Spurs squad to Denver for a game against an MLS All-Stars team, as both men attempt to tie up moves away from White Hart Lane.
    Aston Villa will this week step up their bid to sign Adebayor on a season-long, while Sevilla are currently favourites to take Soldado back to Spain despite reported interest from Villarreal, Real Sociedad and Borussia Dortmund.
    Asked whether there is a good chance of Villa completing the signing of Adebayor, assistant-manager Ray Wilkins said: “I can only talk for myself, but I'm hoping there is because when Adebayor wants to play he is extremely effective.
    “He knows the Premier League inside out, so he would be a good addition for us.”

Berahino has two years left to run on his £15,000-a-week and West Brom want to extend his contract by offering him a double-your-money pay rise.
    The 21-year-old could earn more, however, by moving to Spurs and partnering Harry Kane up front.
    Asked about Berahino’s future, West Brom manager Tony Pulis said: “He’s a good player and we are desperate to keep him. If a top club comes in, as we have said before, you look at Raheem Sterling and eventually they have to sell.
    “Once we get going and if he scores a lot of goals for us then I’m sure it will be very difficult for the football club to keep him.”

Other than looking at Berahino, Tottenham have a transfer delegation in Germany this week amid reports the club have had an £8.5m bid for 19-year-old Leroy Sane rejected by Schalke.
    Spurs are also interested in Stuttgart forward Timo Werner and midfielders Christoph Kramer and Sven Bender.
    Other than Adebayor and Soldado, Vlad Chiriches has not travelled to Denver as the Romanian is set to leave Spurs with Napoli the latest club to hold talks over the defender. Aaron Lennon has also remained in England to continue training with the Under-21s, while Andros Townsend has stayed behind with a shoulder injury.

How exactly do you expect any deal gets done. Opposite sides start with outrageous figures and then meet somewhere in between. Don't left that get in the way of your Levy bashing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I think he's well worth £15m based on talent. It's just the character of the lad I have reservations about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

He's worth 15ish, Arsenal paid 16 for Welbeck but he's shít. Will probably end up hitting the 20 mark if it happens. At 21 there's plenty of room for improvement. Would fit in well with our policy of buying promising English players.

We've been linked with just about every striker out there. So it could just be further fuel to the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Classic Levy - here we go again............

The future of Berahino could now become a saga that runs towards the end of the transfer window

Can't see this becoming a saga. Levy would be a fool to pay a penny over £15m and we all know Levy is not a fool.

Especially when there's lads like this out there - http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.ie/2015/07/17-goals-in-30-games.html - probably not near as poisonous plus having a £3m buyout, albeit without the PL experience Berhaino has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Can't see this becoming a saga. Levy would be a fool to pay a penny over £15m and we all know Levy is not a fool.

Especially when there's lads like this out there - http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.ie/2015/07/17-goals-in-30-games.html - probably not near as poisonous plus having a £3m buyout, albeit without the PL experience Berhaino has.

Lol just read their prices. 3m pound does not convert to $16.4m AUD whoever wrote that!

I have never heard of this guy, that is some fine digging by the author.

irishmover wrote: »
    Lol just read their prices. 3m pound does not convert to $16.4m AUD whoever wrote that!

I have never heard of this guy, that is some fine digging by the author.

Ha, didn't even notice that. Though £3m is pretty close to 6.4m AUD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

the point is this petty haggling thing is Levy's trade mark, we missed out on Moutinho a couple of years ago over this kinda of carry on. We don't get our business done until 31st August because of this attitude.

Proper clubs get the players they want, early in the summer and just get on with it
    We in comparison are so small time when it comes to this.

Did we haggle over the likes of Gazza, Lineker, Ginola, Sheringham, Klinsmann,Waddle
    no we didn't, the club decided we wanted them and we just went out and got them.

how times have changed.....

• Advertisement

Did we haggle over the likes of Gazza, Lineker, Ginola, Sheringham, Klinsmann,Waddle
    no we didn't, the club decided we wanted them and we just went out and got them.

Oh yeah.... I remember the sleepless nights I had as Levy haggled over the purchase of Modric, Bale, Berbatov, Kaboul, Defoe, Keane, Lloris, Woodgate, Bentley, Sandro, Crouch, Van Der Vaart, Zakora, Bent....

I'm being sarcastic.

2 weeks before the start of the season and we are 'discussing' making a derisory bid which we know will be rejected and wind up WBA

embarrassing

2 weeks before the start of the season and we are 'discussing' making a derisory bid which we know will be rejected and wind up WBA

embarrassing

"derisory bid"?!! We've apparently offered £10m! Most the people who've commented here have said he's not worth it.

If DL is willing to spend £15m (too much in my eyes), why would he start the negotiation at £15m?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

embarrassing

Never mind a new thread, you need your own forum! :D

Please reply without quoting. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

the point is this petty haggling thing is Levy's trade mark, we missed out on Moutinho a couple of years ago over this kinda of carry on. We don't get our business done until 31st August because of this attitude.

Proper clubs get the players they want, early in the summer and just get on with it
    We in comparison are so small time when it comes to this.

We didn't haggle too much over Paulinho, Lamela or Soldado...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

15 million is enough, he is unproven, we cant keep making costly errors on players, bid low and work towards your limit, give out all we want levy has this club on a sound financial footing

looking at the USA squad, too me it looks very light and will struggle for top 4 place, with the way utd and pool have invested we are a long way back, we need at least 3-4 top quality players and need to get it right this time

Look at it this way.

If Kane gets injured WBA's chairman gonna be laughing all the way to the bank, all more reason for levy to offer around 15m now and instead of paltry 10m opening bids and pissing people off

Big clubs don't do business this way

Ormus wrote: »
    We didn't haggle too much over Paulinho, Lamela or Soldado...

there was no point - the selling clubs knew we had 80mil burning a hole in our pocket

it's just a shame Baldini doesn't know what a good player looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭golfball37

We could do a lot worse than sell Kane for crazy money and sign two strikers with the funds imo.
    Berahino isn't worth 25m but Kane isn't worth 40 either based on one season but I bet most on here would say we shouldn't take a penny less.
    Another season of rebuilding coming, we could have done without Europa football with the paper thin squad we have.
    Unless we sign a proven world class striker and midfielder we will be playing for fifth yet again.

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »
    Unless we sign a proven world class striker and midfielder we will be playing for fifth yet again.

which means we will be playing for 5th again ;)

West Brom have again quelled speculation linking forward Saido Berahino with a move away from the Hawthorns.

Tottenham have been repeatedly linked with the England U21 international and reports this week claim the Londoners are preparing a bid of between £10m and £15m.

But West Brom posted on their Twitter feed on Tuesday morning: “Ok, this is getting silly now. So let us make it clear. There has been NO bid for Saido. That's it. Carry on everyone.”

We could do a lot worse than sell Kane for crazy money and sign two strikers with the funds imo.
    Berahino isn't worth 25m but Kane isn't worth 40 either based on one season but I bet most on here would say we shouldn't take a penny less.
    Another season of rebuilding coming, we could have done without Europa football with the paper thin squad we have.

So wait.. People have been chuffed with all the sales and now complaints roll in that we've a thin squad?

What were people expecting would happen when we shipped out these players, that we'd sign more **** to take their place?

People need to remember our club is now becoming one of the best youth development clubs in the top tier. We are beginning to see the hard work over the past 6 years come to fruition. Our squad will be filled with more young quality players than before, if you consider that a thin squad then so be it. I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Liverpool got raped for Benteke, he's not worth that.

Why would a proven world class player join a club not in the Champions League and not paying Champions League wages?

I think he's well worth £15m based on talent. It's just the character of the lad I have reservations about.

Totally agree with this. I kinda want us to sign him cos I think he will get goals. But at the first sign of interest from a bigger club or being dropped for a big game or anything annoys him, he'll probably start mouthing off. Then again I could be wrong, maybe he's a sound guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Scoring goals was not the problem last year. The issue last year was conceding goals . Poch and Levy have realised that and spent cleverly on ensuring that the defence is a lot more watertight this season . Liverpool and Utd may have spent heavily but it takes a long time to integrate new players as we have seen in the past. ( and many will comment that Pool have wasted a lot of money on tripe anyway) . It is also very clear now that the type of players that Poch is after limits the choice . Any players must be athletic, fast, strong and have buckets of stamina .

I am cautiously optimistic this season. I think we will only move forward under Poch and with a better defence , I firmly believe we can challenge not just for the Top 4, but within the Top 4. And yes , as a supporter for nigh on 50 years now, I have seen all the false dawns. However this is different , we are financially stable , we have a world class youth academy, we will have a world class stadium in a few years , we had the fewest injuries of premiership clubs last year, we seem to be the fittest team around , and there is a strong squad morale within this group ...If we could shed some of the negativity that seeps in from our fans who think that we have a God given right to win every game , despite the fact that we have far far less money than the Top 4 last year . We punch way above our weight , but I truly believe we are in the best shape as a club for a long long time .

The future is White - LillyWhite

Liverpool got raped for Benteke, he's not worth that.

they met his buy out clause - simple as that - at least they are trying - what are we doing ? - I can't see us finishing above them again next season, can you ?

PVincent wrote: »
    Scoring goals was not the problem last year. The issue last year was conceding goals . Poch and Levy have realised that and spent cleverly on ensuring that the defence is a lot more watertight this season . Liverpool and Utd may have spent heavily but it takes a long time to integrate new players as we have seen in the past. ( and many will comment that Pool have wasted a lot of money on tripe anyway) . It is also very clear now that the type of players that Poch is after limits the choice . Any players must be athletic, fast, strong and have buckets of stamina .

I am cautiously optimistic this season. I think we will only move forward under Poch and with a better defence , I firmly believe we can challenge not just for the Top 4, but within the Top 4. And yes , as a supporter for nigh on 50 years now, I have seen all the false dawns. However this is different , we are financially stable , we have a world class youth academy, we will have a world class stadium in a few years , we had the fewest injuries of premiership clubs last year, we seem to be the fittest team around , and there is a strong squad morale within this group ...If we could shed some of the negativity that seeps in from our fans who think that we have a God given right to win every game , despite the fact that we have far far less money than the Top 4 last year . We punch way above our weight , but I truly believe we are in the best shape as a club for a long long time .

I thought we were in better shape 4 years ago, that team with King, Walker, BAE, Modric, Parker, Bale, Lennon, Van Der Vaart, Adebayour etc. was the best Spurs side I can remember. We were 3rd in Jan 2012 before a lack of investment screwed us again - Suarez was for sale in that window and we got Saha on a free transfer.

I agree that the youth side of things looks promising but all great teams need a mixture of youth and proven experience. We need to invest in some proper players early in transfer windows. For example we missed out on Schneiderlin last summer because we moved to late, we also missed out on Mountinho and nealry missed out on Lloris because of 11th hour messing around by Levy.

In terms of the big picture, Firstly I would say that 5th last season was a good achievement although some of our performances bored me to tears. The main problem at Spurs is that we are being strung along by the owners with the promise of great things in the distant future, they have had 15 years to deliver something and they have failed in 13 of those years (bar the cup win in 2008 and the CL qualification in 2010).

The club is in receipt of record TV money and record commercial deals and yet we are seeing virtually no positive net spend season after season. This is great for the balance sheet but very frustrating for the fans, there are millions of Spurs fans who used to have realistic dreams of Spurs being successful, most fans are now pretty much resigned to their club being upper-mid table year after year. I think this is ENIC's biggest crime - removing the hope that we could be great again.

It's also worth noting that while our hope has been destroyed the owners have added massive value to their original investment and will probably walk away with close to a billion pounds if they ever decide to sell. There's only one winner in all of this - ENIC

• Advertisement

PVincent wrote: »

I agree with the majority of what's written, but I don't realistically see us competing for a top four spot over the course of the season. Generally we run out of steam in the finale.

Important to get off to the strongest possible start, I see us finishing 5 - 6. Too light in midfield for me, not enough experience to close games off. Were not a million miles off, I like the manager and his direction.

I wanted the defence to be sorted for this season, and it has. Can we hang on to our most valued players, then build again for the following summer. The carpet always seems to get pulled on that one.

Advertisement