Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Ormus wrote: »
    Ah I was only slagging.

no problem :)

Mail claim Tottenham Hotspur are considering a move for Liverpool striker Rickie Lambert. #THFC http://t.co/lhMubMiT4O

Oh dear - scouse scraps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Mail claim Tottenham Hotspur are considering a move for Liverpool striker Rickie Lambert. #THFC http://t.co/lhMubMiT4O

Oh dear - scouse scraps

Poor Rickie.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

i reckon, we'll announce 2 maybe 3 signings within a day of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

^^^i'll spare all ye the click, above link has nothing to do with transfer rumours for this window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Worrying wouldn't be my adjective of choice.

If you take the net spend figure and our position in that table, it would suggest we're over-achieving for the last five years - because we've finished 5th rather than 20th.

If you take the gross spend figure, the fact that we have the 6th highest spend but came 5th in the leguae, would suggest we're slightly over-achieving. While Man Utd are dramatically under-achieving.

While, if you look at the big picture, you'd probably be able to figure out that we are preparing for a massive capital expenditure (the stadium). I'd hazard a guess that if you looked at Arsenal's net transfer income in the years leading up to the building of The Emirates, it would look pretty similar. However, if you look at their expenditure since The Emirates was built you see a dramatically different picture.

Wait until Nike Hart Lane is built and then you'll see us signing the likes of Ozil and Sanchez for £40m+.

This table would support my view that we have been going through a period of 'austerity' over the past five years, tightening our belts for long-term gain.

We have the 5th highest expenditure in players since the PL began.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-1992-to-date/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-1992-to-date

And it's not as if it was just Alan Sugar spending money in the early days. Since 2003 we have spent considerably more than Arsenal.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-2003-to-date/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-2003-to-date

Worrying wouldn't be my adjective of choice.

If you take the net spend figure and our position in that table, it would suggest we're over-achieving for the last five years - because we've finished 5th rather than 20th.

If you take the gross spend figure, the fact that we have the 6th highest spend but came 5th in the leguae, would suggest we're slightly over-achieving. While Man Utd are dramatically under-achieving.

While, if you look at the big picture, you'd probably be able to figure out that we are preparing for a massive capital expenditure (the stadium). I'd hazard a guess that if you looked at Arsenal's net transfer income in the years leading up to the building of The Emirates, it would look pretty similar. However, if you look at their expenditure since The Emirates was built you see a dramatically different picture.

Wait until Nike Hart Lane is built and then you'll see us signing the likes of Ozil and Sanchez for £40m+.

what I see is a club making profits on transfer dealings and not making any net investment in players. it's that simple.

how did arsenal build a stadium and still manage to compete for trophies ?
    because they were run properly and had footballing ambition.

look at the table again, we are ROCK BOTTOM, and while you're thinking about that think about the fact that our owner is worth billions of pounds.

the only winner in all of this is Lewis and Levy - the fans get nothing whilst the owners get richer and it's been like this for 15 years now - my patience ran out around 4 years ago - you will reach your own breaking point some day.

look at the table again, we are ROCK BOTTOM, and while you're thinking about that think about the fact that our owner is worth billions of pounds.

We're only rock bottom in the table for the last five years.

ENIC has been in control for 14 years.

Do the other tables not suggest that we were spending as expected for the first 9 years of their ownership, but tightened their belt in the last five years?

• Advertisement

We're only rock bottom in the table for the last five years.

ENIC has been in control for 14 years.

Do the other tables not suggest that we were spending as expected for the first 9 years of their ownership, but tightened their belt in the last five years?

Its the here and now I'm interested in
    right now we are the club that spends the least on players
    that is a shocking indictment on the owners and the glamorous history of our club

We're 15 years down the road with this mob, they have had 15 years (30 transfer windows) to provide us with a competent manager and a successful team - history tells us they are not going to deliver the goods - I have witnessed enough false dawns - its just not gonna happen with ENIC.

When they eventually sell up they will probably walk away with close to a billion pounds whilst the trophy cabinet will continue to gather dust. They are the only winners, we get nothing as usual.

This sentiment is becoming more widespread as more and more fans see what really going on. We all have a limit on how much we can take, I reached mine a few years ago.

I would love ENIC to prove me wrong by the way and deliver a successful team we can be proud of but it's just not gonna happen because they think it's too expensive to attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Please stop, you've got your own anti levy thread don't be spoiling this one

okay - agreed - got side tracked there (wasn't the only one) - enough

I'd be surprised if Lerner was picking up the tab solely.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Lerner was picking up the tab solely.

Hopefully there's an if he scores three goals you keep him clause

Hopefully there's an if he scores three goals you keep him clause

He'll score goals, good for a season.

He'd be a value purchase for the fantasy football team. We've all seen how well he can play when he's on loan and fighting for a contract!

He'd be a value purchase for the fantasy football team. We've all seen how well he can play when he's on loan and fighting for a contract!

Yeah, Tim gets the best out of him too

• Advertisement

What's that Queen song? "And another one gone, and another one gone. Another one bites the dust"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Thanks **** for that. Out of all the players that need to go he had to be top of my list. He did not even look like a footballer at some stages last season. Brutal. Although Romania must be poor if hes there centre half..

I think he's actually the captain of the Romania team....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Great to see us clearing out the players that are not really in managers plans.

Time to see a few decent buys now with league, Euro crap and domestic cups or we just fizzle out end of next season again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

But by that logic does that not provide a strong argument to say further spending would most likely result in an even better final league position.

But by that logic does that not provide a strong argument to say further spending would most likely result in an even better final league position.

Quite the opposite. United are spending significantly more than us and I stated that they are underachieving.

A heavy gross spend doesn't necessarily result in success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I see Dzeko is heading for Roma,surprised we weren't in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

tippspur wrote: »
    I see Dzeko is heading for Roma,surprised we weren't in for him.

The problem with most players leaving City is that they are usually on huge contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement