Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

True. We can't expect to complete with clubs like Liverpool when it comes to players like Benteke.

Liverpool have deeper pockets and have a much bigger salary cap, comes down to the fact that they sell more merchandise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

True. We can't expect to complete with clubs like Liverpool when it comes to players like Benteke.

Your facetiousness aside, Benteke would not work in the system poch has been playing/is setting up, we don't want to be buying players who can be expected to under-perform in a system not suited to their style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Liverpool have deeper pockets and have a much bigger salary cap, comes down to the fact that they sell more merchandise.

I don't think it's the additional merchandise alone that allows them to pay bigger wages but yeah that's my point - because of our salary policy we can't compete with some of the other non CL teams.

Your facetiousness aside, Benteke would not work in the system poch has been playing/is setting up, we don't want to be buying players who can be expected to under-perform in a system not suited to their style of play.

True. But even if he was a player that suited us we wouldn't have been able to offer a competitive salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

https://www.clubcall.com/stoke-city/target-heading-to-spurs-1-1776616.html

Been hearing rumours for a week now. Yarmonlenko deal appears to be gathering momentum.

Anyone know if he's any good?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/chelsea-transfer-news-tottenham-told-to-name-price-for-danny-rose-10436642.html

This is being reported everywhere at the moment. Personally don't think he's worth even the £15m touted. Dunno what Mourinho sees in him. He's not a premier league winning left back but whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

irishmover wrote: »

Been hearing rumours for a week now. Yarmonlenko deal appears to be gathering momentum.

Never heard of him, has disaster written all over it. Hope it's bullshít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

irishmover wrote: »

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/chelsea-transfer-news-tottenham-told-to-name-price-for-danny-rose-10436642.html

This is being reported everywhere at the moment. Personally don't think he's worth even the £15m touted. Dunno what Mourinho sees in him. He's not a premier league winning left back but whatever!

The fact he is ukranian gives me shivers! Never seem to do well in the prem. I would love to have the patience to compile a list of players we are linked with in the press compared to who we buy in a transfer window. Would be some laugh id say.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    The fact he is ukranian gives me shivers! Never seem to do well in the prem. I would love to have the patience to compile a list of players we are linked with in the press compared to who we buy in a transfer window. Would be some laugh id say.

Only reason why I linked this one was because it's about the 14th different source reporting on it in the last week and the guy is reportedly have said himself that he's in talk with the club.

Nobody else has mentioned it here so I thought I'd prepare people for what's to come during the final weeks of the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

why can't we expect to compete with them on any player ?
    • we finished higher than them last season
    • they are a Europa league club like us
    • stadiums are of similar size
    • both clubs have very wealthy owners

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭golfball37

why can't we expect to compete with them on any player ?
    • we finished higher than them last season
    • they are a Europa league club like us
    • stadiums are of similar size
    • both clubs have very wealthy owners
    Liverpool are one of the worlds biggest names we are not. Money and league position doesn't come into it sometimes

why can't we expect to compete with them on any player ? we finished higher than them last seasonthey are a Europa league club like usstadiums are of similar sizeboth clubs have very wealthy owners

I agrre - on those levels we should be able to complete with them for players in terms of ambition and so forth but because of our clubs salary policy, we cannot.

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »
    Liverpool are one of the worlds biggest names we are not. Money and league position doesn't come into it sometimes

Bentake wasn't born the last time they won the league
    I doubt he knows or cares much about their history

Also the attractiveness of living in London is a great advantage Spurs has over many northern clubs - especially for overseas players

interesting piece on TV revenue and it's impact on the transfer market

The bottom club will pocket £99m per season with the champions earning more than £150m in prize money, even before extra money is paid for featuring in a TV match.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33765321

All valid points, which makes it all the more frustrating when Liverpool and the like offer another 30-60k above our salary cap. Money talks and all that.

No reason we can't compete with Newcastle, Everton, Stoke and West ham though. We should be able to match or beat them on salaries.

I know some people will say we should be buying a better calibre of player then those teams mentioned above tend to attract but the same people argue that we can't afford to jeopardise the financial stability of the club by breaking the salary policy.

Then there's those who argue that we shouldn't just by players who's quality is little or no better then the existing squad or the out going players.

So how do you attract better quality players if you aren't willing to pay a competitive salary to match the quality of the players in the upper percentile?

.... kick off is just around the corner and while we have some strenght in dept in defense... where is the cover in midfield and attack. There's every likelihood that the bench this week will contain Lennon or Soldado - 2 players not wanted by the club as well as Carroll, Prichard and prob Townsend if he wasn't injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Our full backs - Walker, Trippier and Yedlin, ..... Rose and Davies.

Centrehalves - Fazio - Dier - Toby - Yan - Wimmer.

Looks like Kaboul and Vlad will go....

Paulinho , Capoue and Holtby gone from the midfield,

Pritchard, Carroll coming into squad.

Ali will go out on loan.

Will Jan the Man be used as a defensive midfielder? Still have 4 centrehalves, or will Fazio be bombed or Wimmer sent out on loan too?

Look like its Dier...
    Wrong about Alli, really excited about him.....
    Pritchard was the one a lot have high hopes for....

Is it going to be Alli and Pritch playing regularly???

Most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I can't see Pritchard playing regularly. Alli most definitely.

Pritchard will find it hard to push the likes of Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela out of those three spots behind the striker.

While I already prefer Alli to Dembele and Mason already.

I watched a bit of Alli last season, he reminds me of the lanky 19-year old Steven Gerrard who played for Liverpool 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I can't see Pritchard playing regularly. Alli most definitely.

Pritchard will find it hard to push the likes of Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela out of those three spots behind the striker.

While I already prefer Alli to Dembele and Mason already.

I watched a bit of Alli last season, he reminds me of the lanky 19-year old Steven Gerrard who played for Liverpool 15 years ago.

I don't think it would take a lot to push any of those 3 out of the attacking midfield spots, none of them have been great, except for Eriksen for a while before Christmas last season. I'm not saying Pritchard is the man to challenge them, but I think he will get a chance.

I really like the look of Alli too, but would prefer if we played him on and off for the next while, ease him into it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Has Ade's loan move to Villa been confirmed?

I'm really surprised we haven't signed anyone outside our defense. Hopefully Alli does do the job, but i can't see him being first choice week in week out. And we are still screwed up front. If Kane gets injured, the season is basically over.

Last I saw there was difficulty surrounding the prospect of making Ade's deal permanent following the loan period. Celebration's are still on hold unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

I had a bad dream( nightmare!) last night in which we lose 8- 0 on sat, was gutted for a min or two in the morning til I realised it was just a dream!, hope it wasn't a premonition!.

Need a creative midfielder and 2nd striker badly to add to what we have, hopefully Levy is on the ball behind the scenes. Berahino should be got if possible, had a good scoring record last season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

pretty spot-on article on our current situation....
    http://thepremierleagueowl.com/tottenham-the-re-emergence-of-old-habits/

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Moses, Berahino, Hernandez, Long,

Even give us a sign that we are in texts with them, not even talks, texts will do me at this stage.

Not only have viable targets been ignored or allowed to move to other sides, but the existing depth in the squad has either been sold off or pushed forcefully to the periphery. Neither Roberto Soldado nor Emmanuel Adebayor appear to have a future in Pochettinos side, but it was surely prudent to keep them within the pre-season fold until alternatives had been properly sourced.

Again, they haven't. Both players are yet to officially depart and the club is yet to receive any kind of fee for either, but having been left out of both recent international tours, neither have had the requisite playing time to be of any kind of use during their final weeks. Willingly, the club has ensured that neither player is able to help bridge the gap between the old and the new.

Maybe theres a logic in that somewhere, but its difficult to identify. Pochettino is one Harry Kane muscle-fibre away from playing without a forward for these opening weeks and, given that the player has had a congested, football-filled Summer, that is the definition of playing fast-and-loose with available resources.

Daniel Levy's defence presumably would be to say that the end of transfer window brings with it a unique range of opportunities. As the Summer ends and players and clubs scramble for new homes and more transfer revenue, market forces are suspended and low-hanging fruit can present itself.

But, while that may be true, its contrary to the direction that Paul Mitchells appointment was supposed to represent. Mitchell is about value, method, and scouting and yet Levy is creating a situation in which Tottenham are leaving their final, potentially season-defining bits of business down to chance.

Its a contradiction. Yes, there may be bargains to be had in the final hours of a transfer window, but that is only really a half-truth. By leaving necessary dealings until the last-minute, Tottenham are potentially putting themselves into a weak negotiating position one which exude the kind of desperation that rival clubs will almost certainly take advantage of.

Its almost an exercise in self-defeat. While the club were very astute in reforming their recruitment department and equally smart in appointing a Head Coach who adds value on the training ground, this reversion to Tottenham 1.0 dilutes the relevance of both: Pochettino is denied a full pre-season with players who require integration, Mitchell becomes a hostage to bargain-hunting.

At the beginning of the Summer this may have been a half-serious caveat, but with every passing day Levy is now moving closer to having to either pay £15m for Charlie Austin or make it through to January with a perilously thin squad.

And, forgetting the specifics, thats why the collective frustration is slowly coming to the boil. Tottenham spend the first half of their pre-season clearly demonstrating that they were capable of a mature, adult approach to the transfer-market and that they were committed to their new recruitment strategy. With the end of July, however, its becoming apparent that old habits do indeed die hard and that, rather than taking the players they want, the club are still content to buy what theyre offered.

Its a slight dramatisation, but its feasible that such an approach could very well negate all of the work which has been done to-date. Benjamin Stambouli, Paulinho and Etienne Capoue may have departed, but this laissez faire “take what we are given" approach could very well lead to similar inefficiency and to signings being made for the sake of it.

There are still star names fluttering around the ether and Tottenham are still being linked with some very good players, but when has there ever been a Summer when that hasn't been the case?

The club promises gold, but it delivers bronze; so far, it seems that the lessons of past seasons have only been half-learnt.

Well written piece. Sums every frustration Of the last 6 weeks but could be applied to the last decade or more.

I tried to make the same points a few weeks ago and was shot down as been anyi-levy as usual.

... still. Even I, most pesimestic of spurs supporters feel that Levy and Co must have something in the pipeline. Even if it is just Berinhino -baggage and all. There's just no way we can go into the season proper post transfer window with 1 senior striker. Even 2 strikers would be negligent so let's sit tight and see what the next few days brings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Sugarlumps wrote: »

LOL, fcuk me. Fantasy Fooball 2015 stuff here. 20 year old playing in second division Columbian league.

Glebee wrote: »
    LOL, fcuk me. Fantasy Fooball 2015 stuff here. 20 year old playing in second division Columbian league.

Would fall into the Mitchell category?

Glebee wrote: »
    The 20-year-old was one of the stars of this year’s South American Youth Championship, scoring four goals and being a constant menace with his lightning pace as Colombia finished runners-up behind Argentina at the continental event.

Little less unknown in the football world than you think from the sounds of it.

Speaking after his side's 2-0 victory over AC Milan, which saw the Lilywhites secure third place in the Audi Cup in Munich, the Argentine head coach said, as quoted by the Daily Mail: 'I think they (Adebayor and Lennon) are OK but they are not in my plans.

"They know the situation - we have spoken with them and it's no problem.

"Soldado is in my plans but he did not come here because there was a problem with his back - but he is in our plans."

• Advertisement
Advertisement