Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January transfer window rumors and gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Chelsea have just bought a new left back from Ausberg. There ends the Rose rumours.

Watching the West Brom match, we might have more competition for the signing of Berahino in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Watching the West Brom match, we might have more competition for the signing of Berahino in the morning!

I will be very suprised if we sign him to be honest, we will go for a cheaper option somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Bargins to be hand in France and Germany.

Some of these lads have scored over 10 goals in Ligue 1 in a single season don't you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

N'Jie (here on to be known as Nidgie) has 7 goals in 30 games last season. (According to a SSN article this morning).

Not exactly the kinda of stats to shoot us I to the top 5 or 6 is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I still hope we manage to enlist Berahino. He can play as a striker or out on the wing. Only 22, plenty of room for improvement, has pace to burn, is strong in a tackle and can hold the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

why are we shopping in the bargain basement ?

the new stadium. Suck it up guys. These are lean days for us....better days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Hernandez, Berahino, N'Jie and Vadillo.

Seems like these four are gathering the most rumours lately.

Alex Song, strange how no clubs are in for him.

• Advertisement

N'Jie (here on to be known as Nidgie) has 7 goals in 30 games last season. (According to a SSN article this morning).

Ostensibly, no. Though he was played as a winger at club level.

However, he's played up front for Cameroon and 6 goals in 11 games.

Along with his 7 goals at club level he also has 7 assists. So he'll either set up a goal or score a goal every other game.

Seeing how Berahino played last night, I'd say either N'Jie or Berahino will be brought in to compete with Chadli/Lamela and to play off Kane on the wing. So we're not looking for an out and out striker, we're looking for a pacey winger who can turn defence in to attack and set up a few goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

He's just a kid, his present scoring stats aren't an accurate reflection of his future scoring stats. Alan Shearer only got 8 goals in about 50 games before the age of 21. Harry Kane only got 4 in 25 for Spurs before turning 21.

I'm not saying this kid's any good, but lets not write him off based on his wiki stats.

Ormus wrote: »
    Alan Shearer only got 8 goals in about 50 games before the age of 21. Harry Kane only got 4 in 25 for Spurs before turning 21.

Just a side point, but at 22 years of age, Harry Kane is 24 Premier League goals ahead of the 22 year old Alan Shearer (who had none.)

To sell HK now would be madness.

However, Rooney had 56 by the time he was 22 - and will struggle to beat Shearer's record.

Just a side point, but at 22 years of age, Harry Kane is 24 Premier League goals ahead of the 22 year old Alan Shearer (who had none.)

To sell HK now would be madness.

However, Rooney had 56 by the time he was 22 - and will struggle to beat Shearer's record.

Basically if a player scores a lot at a young age then his potential is obvious. But if he doesn't, that doesn't mean he won't score more once he develops.

the new stadium. Suck it up guys. These are lean days for us....better days ahead.

That's hard to take given that:
    • The club has accumulated significant funds from player sales this summer
    • Record TV and sponsorship deals
    • NFL making a significant contribution to the new stadium
    • Stadium naming rights income
    • We're owned by a multi-billionaire

Is spending some proper money on some proven quality players too much ask ?

Our activity in the market is the kind of thing you would expect to see from the likes of Villa or Sunderland !

That's hard to take given that:
    • The club has accumulated significant funds from player sales this summer
    • Record TV and sponsorship deals
    • NFL making a significant contribution to the new stadium
    • Stadium naming rights income
    • We're owned by a multi-billionaire

Is spending some proper money on some proven quality players too much ask ?

Our activity in the market is the kind of thing you would expect to see from the likes of Villa or Sunderland !

So.....any transfer gossip?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

I remember when we were link ed with Rondon when he was at Malaga, couple of years ago...Ends up in WBA.

Same with Shaqiri when he went to Inter.... Looks like hes at Stoke...

Now in this window we are linked with unknowns....Basel striker, Nidgey, who else?

You would think that we are deep in talks for players by now......

Maybe, just maybe we'll announce a double signing!!!

[*]We're owned by a multi-billionaire

I don't like this argument. Most Premier League teams are owned by billionaires though it is only City and Chelsea who spend silly money.

United generated their revenues through years and years of overseas marketing and massive sponsorship deals.

Arsenal generated their revenues through building their stadium and generating large gate receipts.

Mike Ashley (6bn) has more in his pocket than Joe Lewis (4.2bn), you don't see Newcastle spending stupid money.

I don't like this argument. Most Premier League teams are owned by billionaires though it is only City and Chelsea who spend silly money.

United generated their revenues through years and years of overseas marketing and massive sponsorship deals.

Arsenal generated their revenues through building their stadium and generating large gate receipts.

Mike Ashley (6bn) has more in his pocket than Joe Lewis (4.2bn), you don't see Newcastle spending stupid money.

So mike ashley is worse owner than joe lewis at running a club - I fully agree.

However if lewis had any ambition for our football club to succeed we would have seen it by now. The club is nothing more than an investment vehicle to him - his ownership of THFC will land him a huge cash windfall when he eventually sells up - there's only one winner - him.

Wouldn't it be great to have an owner with the same objectives as the supporters, that's the key point in all of this, putting a winning team on the pitch is not their primary objective. These days we just sleepwalk into 5th or 6th every year in a infinite cycle of mediocrity.

Hopefully ENIC will pull out a few stops and land one or two proper players that give us an opportunity to compete at a higher level - I don't think it will happen because I know how they work, but no one would be happier than myself if I am proven wrong.

Anyone remember when this thread used to be about transfer gossip?

• Advertisement

http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/sport/13587874.Spurs_in_pole_position_to_sign_Basel_youngster/?

FC Basel's teenage striker Breel Embolo...yet another youngster linked.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/sport/13587874.Spurs_in_pole_position_to_sign_Basel_youngster/?

FC Basel's teenage striker Breel Embolo...yet another youngster linked.

This guy's got amazing stats, almost a goal every other game in 50 games for Basel, and he's only 18!

I know stats aren't everything, and it's only the Swiss league, but I think we should pay £55m for this guy and sell Kane for £40m.

This guy's got amazing stats, almost a goal every other game in 50 games for Basel, and he's only 18!

I know stats aren't everything, and it's only the Swiss league, but I think we should pay £55m for this guy and sell Kane for £40m.

He looks like a tank at just 18. What are they feeding him over there.

So mike ashley is worse owner than joe lewis at running a club - I fully agree.

However if lewis had any ambition for our football club to succeed we would have seen it by now. The club is nothing more than an investment vehicle to him - his ownership of THFC will land him a huge cash windfall when he eventually sells up - there's only one winner - him.

One last comment on this, how exactly do you think Joe Lewis made his billions? By blowing it all on capital expenditure for each of his companies?!

He's a fooking investor - of course he wants to see profit made from his investment. Though in order to do so Spurs have to grow and improve - gradually!

One last comment on this, how exactly do you think Joe Lewis made his billions? By blowing it all on capital expenditure for each of his companies?!

He's a fooking investor - of course he wants to see profit made from his investment. Though in order to do so Spurs have to grow and improve - gradually!

not asking him to blow anything - just to invest in better players in the hope that we will have a team to be proud of.

with a better team we could generate better revenue (better sponsorship, CL qualification etc..) and he could very well get his money back + more , but unfortunately he doesn't seem to want to take the chance.

it is shocking that we have the lowest net spend of any PL team in the past 5 years. That says all you need to know about ENIC's priorities.

Anyway, sidetracked on this again - back to the transfer window !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

with the TV money coming in there is very little incentive to spend big as long we are side not in danger of getting relegated. EVERY CLUB in the premiership is rich thanks to this TV money and the profits keep rolling in for owners once you stay in the league... hence WBA etc spending 12-13m on a player to try and ensure that they do. As long as ENIC are in charge and profits are up theres nothing broken in their eyes so dont try and fix it. they dont care if we are successful as long as we stay in the prem where the gravely train keeps the profits up.
    its sad but its true. :(
    All we can do as fans is hope that we get entertained on the pitch.

Ah seriously, can anyone not talking about transfer gossip get out of this thread please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Anyone remember when this thread used to be about transfer gossip?

Transfer gossip is annoying anyway, because it's all rubbish rumours of players we will never ever sign. In future can we only post IF we actually sign a player and call the thread "Transfers confirmed".

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Transfer gossip is annoying anyway, because it's all rubbish rumours of players we will never ever sign. In future can we only post IF we actually sign a player and call the thread "Transfers confirmed".

Then it'd just be a list of player names. Not really much of a discussion. Sure transfer gossip is mostly rubbish but most of football is just a soap opera anyway. It's entertainment.

• Advertisement

Ah seriously, can anyone not talking about transfer gossip get out of this thread please?

Don't see the problem myself. All the talk is related to transfers and Spurs. I'd agree with you if the talk was about Argos or summat random like that.

I think a lot of the talk is frustration at the fact we're continually being linked with players and continually missing out on them. People are only blowing off steam. Have a heart!

Advertisement